Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Night10194 posted:

I cannot imagine someone going to Kenshiro for advice on love. It is an idea that is foolish in the extreme.

This game really understands how to use his emotionless monotone and flat stare to best comedic effect and I love it.

FALSE. This is a man who pulled himself from near-death specifically to get his True Love Back. he key line of You WA SHOCK is "I will take back my love!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Kenshiro is the Queen of Passion and I will hear nothing else. He's just kind of a muscle dork growing up as heir of Hokuto Shinken and Yuria still loves him for that enough that they were engaged. Of course he's relationship sensei to his new total virgin friend.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I completely lost it at Kenshiro, of all people, saying "I won't yuck your yum." Yeah, he's a good dude who doesn't judge, but how would he even know that phrase? Never mind saying it with a straight face.

EDIT: Also I still can't decide which is my favorite. The raw intensity of his staring as he stirs, ending up with about 75% of the drink out of the glass at the end, the sheer waste of chipping an entire ice block down to one small sphere for each drink, or the utter class of his very deliberate drink-shaking pose. :allears:

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 12, 2019

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Kenshiro doing his best dead fish impression at all times where he isn't angry is the best.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
If you aren't evil or really really weird, its never ken being malicious. He's just very easily reserved unless its a task he needs to do or a body he needs to destroy with the full power of the North Star.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Kenshiro as a character just wouldn't work without the constant stony look, because despite all the crazy ultraviolence Fist of the North Star is a series built on emotions and specifically on building up to emotional climaxes. The constant stoicism makes that work, because the audience knows that when Ken actually shows emotions it's a huge deal.

It's kinda how it manages to be a fighting manga while having an absurdly overpowered protagonist who effortlessly chumps 99% of his opponents, because it means that when Ken goes up against somebody who is actually a match for him the stakes immediately go up to the max.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
My favorite Kenshiro emotional moment in the game is a random encounter I'm not sure Scruffy will show off, so I hope he won't mind if I spoil it.

Bad Guy- "You were laughing at me, weren't you?"

Innocent Bar Patron- "No, I wasn't! I swear!"

Bad Guy- "You think I'm funny? You want to get hurt?"

Innocent Bar Patron- "I swear, I was just laughing! Not at you!"

Bad Guy- "Yeah, right, you think I'm funny, I'm gonna..." [frowns as he notices Kenshiro watching] "What do you want?"

Kenshiro- "Ha Ha Ha." [fight ensues]

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Kenshiro : I should be very, very careful with these glasses.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kenshiro looks good in a tux.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Does breaking an enemy's armor off make them take more damage? Or is it purely for visual effect?

Or do they always die so fast it doesn't hardly matter?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

IMJack posted:

Does breaking an enemy's armor off make them take more damage? Or is it purely for visual effect?

Or do they always die so fast it doesn't hardly matter?

Purely visual effect. Seeing a man explode into armor pieces and gore is the reward for a swift death.

divedivedive
Jun 6, 2011
Funny, dude had the same response just a moment after me when Airi says, if only I'd known I would see you again, I would never have given up my sight!

Wait, what?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
What part of "saw her family butchered on her wedding day by a mysterious figure, sold into slavery and in deep despair - but couldn't go through full suicide" is giving you trouble? Also, did you know Airi has magical hair colors throughout most of her incarnations in Fist of the North Star Media? She goes from pink, to blond and then blue depending on whatever you feel like! In the 80s toon she was a survivor of Jem and the Holograms. Then like a year later, the 1986 animated movie had her like that soft blue that's used in Lost Paradise and I think in the live action flick she was a backdrop slave that had -- red hair?

Oh well, at least she wasn't in Rei Gaiden and never wound up in Asgard. A city entirety populated by women as a refuge from how poo poo Post Apocalypses usually are for women in general -- but has scantily clad women typically partying it up between wars and fights with Rei's Master, Rofu; and one of their signature economic and scenic locations is a brothel because.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Today we trek into the coliseum!

It...goes okay, I guess.

15: Are You Not Entertained?/Polsy
Recommended supplemental viewing: Exploding Five Finger Strike!, The Lone Wolf, These kids are mine now
B3: Jagre's Tab/Polsy

achtungnight posted:

My favorite Kenshiro emotional moment in the game is a random encounter I'm not sure Scruffy will show off, so I hope he won't mind if I spoil it.

Bad Guy- "You were laughing at me, weren't you?"

Innocent Bar Patron- "No, I wasn't! I swear!"

Bad Guy- "You think I'm funny? You want to get hurt?"

Innocent Bar Patron- "I swear, I was just laughing! Not at you!"

Bad Guy- "Yeah, right, you think I'm funny, I'm gonna..." [frowns as he notices Kenshiro watching] "What do you want?"

Kenshiro- "Ha Ha Ha." [fight ensues]

Funny you should mention that...

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Jagre's poor tab.

:negative:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I admit I burst out laughing when I saw that line by Xsana. :D

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I hope the next part of that story is Xsana and Lyra coming into the bar to berate Jagre for running up such a huge tab. I mean, as one of the leaders of the community, he should be more disciplined. :allears:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Holy poo poo, Xsana. :allears:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Xsana has A LOT of pressure on her on a daily basis and a little bit of alcohol takes the patience for it away~

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Best touch that can't be an accident; right after that line by Xsana the camera zooms by the sign for the Junk Store :D. Also, this teaches us that if drinks are an oil for the heart, it is important to remember oil can burn.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
You know, I wasn't too hot on sober Xsana, but drunk Xsana is easily the best character.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Well, the good news is nobody will be taking advantage of drunk Xsana. On the other hand, Jagre really should meet her when she's like this. Just to be sure he knows what he's getting into if he wants to keep wooing this girl. And so he has an explanation for his sudden enormous bar tab. I wonder if NASA still exists in the post apocalypse and is willing to calculate the ledger like they did for Moe & Barney in that one Simpsons episode. The figures could be similar. :D

Glad you were able to show off the fight following laughter in a bar. I didn't know if you'd do it this soon.

Gladiator Games- I had a lot of fun with these. Still, I agree they can be a pain. Weapon Masters in Gimmick Arenas, ugh.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
My update schedule is sucking more than intended, but I'm working on it.

16: Part Timer Kenshiro/Polsy
Recommended supplemental viewing: Kenshiro vs Amiba, Bear Wrestler Kenshiro, Stone Mountain Splitting Slash!
C1: Colosseum Revenge/Polsy

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Ya missed the obvious "Let's paint the town red" :v:

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

Hahaha the run animation for those kids.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Customer service options: Smile, Discount, Hokuto Fist of Penitence is amazing. Also, Kenshiro needing significant practice to level up and learn to smile.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Since I also recently beat "Mad Max" the WB game on my own, I've really taken some time to see the parallels between Mad Max and Hokuto-no-Ken, and concluded that the latter is probably inspired by the former, but one I enjoy more in video game format.

I had to wonder, though: what the gently caress do the people of Eden do with all of these bodies? Are they at the point that people in "Fury Road" or the video game were, where there's now a giant maggot farm running off of the eviscerated, shattered corpses of the hundreds of thugs Kenshiro slaughters? How do they keep Eden from becoming a massive, unlivable carrion pit?

The walls and dirt of the earth are caked with the gore of the innumerable hordes of shrieking eunuch demons invading Eden at every given moment.

And Kenshiro is the Prince of the Land of Stench.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olwjPyeA76c

plaintiff fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 24, 2019

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I don't know what's more shocking about the Committee substories. That they don't step in to solve problems themselves, that they expect Kenshiro not to use violence, or that the bad guys don't kill their victims while the Committee talks Kenshiro down.

The Nightclub is another great minigame. Starting trouble in an establishment managed by Kenshiro is definitely a way to get a Darwin Award.

That said, the reasons Kenshiro gets into it do make for a long annoying subquest. At least until you realize you can (and should) donate your salary as well as the Nightclub earnings to pay things off faster. That is well worth it, as several of the game's best substories are locked behind paying off the vase. Yes, the really lucrative Nightclub missions take a while to unlock, but getting to them is also fun.

Scruffy didn't have time to address it this video, but the girls' special techniques are key to winning Nightclub missions. Hina's Smile, for example, temporarily triples customer earnings from her table when used. Other girls can affect multiple tables with their techniques- increasing earnings, improving customer moods, and even restoring girls' HP or shielding them from damage. You want to rescue girls having trouble quick too, so their HP doesn't go down too much. But we'll see more of that in the future. I look forward to it.

Did somebody shout "I am the Law!" during a Coliseum battle? Didn't know Kenshiro came up against Judge Dredd. That would be a good fight.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Also the Nightclub menu music loving SLAPS HOLY poo poo. I've been blaring it in my car with the bass turned all the way up for the last few days' commutes.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Wow that minigame is complicated. Also I'm pretty sure that kind of game is a whole rear end genre of game? There's nothing mini about it? I think so, anyway. You sure do get a lot of content with this video game!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Wow that minigame is complicated. Also I'm pretty sure that kind of game is a whole rear end genre of game? There's nothing mini about it? I think so, anyway. You sure do get a lot of content with this video game!

The reason I skipped over all the intro directions is because reading them will not help you. I was completely overwhelmed the first time I loaded it up. Pretty much the only way to understand how it works is watching someone do it, I think. It's easier in Yakuza 0 since the timers stop when you're interacting with a customer, but once you get the hang of it I like the faster pace of this one.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

dscruffy1 posted:

The reason I skipped over all the intro directions is because reading them will not help you. I was completely overwhelmed the first time I loaded it up. Pretty much the only way to understand how it works is watching someone do it, I think. It's easier in Yakuza 0 since the timers stop when you're interacting with a customer, but once you get the hang of it I like the faster pace of this one.

I enjoyed the faster pace of it too. Also the more diverse cast of hostesses and ways to deal with unruly customers. I would greatly enjoy a night in a bar where the manager makes rowdy customers implode.

And I agree- learning on the job is the best way to master this game.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I feel kinda bad for frontloading all these sidequests, but I'm worried that if I don't I'll get behind on levels and struggle and look like an incompetent boob. Bear with me. This is the last of this set. FOR NOW HA HA HA

17: Hide and Seek Master/Polsy
Recommended supplemental viewing: Good dogs, Kenshiro really hates child abusers, Kenshiro is the trump card
B4: Eden's Lord of the Night/Polsy

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
More Nightclub Tips-
- Some hostesses are recruited through completing missions. Others you will have to find in Eden or the Wasteland. A few of the latter also require certain gifts before they will join you. I had a devil of a time acquiring some of these gifts. There are about 40 girls altogether and all are quite attractive in their own way.
- The customers who don’t like any girls in particular are called Monks. It stinks when they start appearing in the “no crisis” missions. The Thug customers actually have video game meta-names and the tougher they are, the fewer secret techniques will work to get rid of them. If a Thug is a Boss or Final Boss and they get rowdy, high level secret techniques will be required.

I must ask- how do you get the right analog stick to spin so fast in the bartending? Even with a shirt wrap I could not pull off such speed.

Lore- Hidebu was pointed out as a Death Cry that can be picked up and wielded as a weapon in the latest video, so I figured I’d talk about it some. In the game, you get it by defeating Fat Enemies with a Perfect Channel. If I’m not mistaken this Death Cry is a nod to Heart, a significant fat enemy Kenshiro fights in the original series’ first arc. He is a minion of Shin, a heavy hitter Shin calls in once Kenshiro defeats his other lieutenants Spade, Diamond, and Club. Heart is a big fat guy with so much blubber that numerous martial artists have gotten their hands trapped in it trying to hit his pressure points, which the blubber also shields. This has earned Heart the nickname “Destroyer of Fists”. Heart also goes berserk at the slightest wound, something Shin exploits by having him hit with a needle in the cheek right before confronting Kenshiro. This combination of offense and defense makes Heart the first enemy in the series to give Kenshiro serious trouble. He has to pull out a never-seen before (or again) Hokuto technique to beat him- the Softness Rippling Slash. This vibrates Heart’s blubber away from his pressure points and Heart soon thereafter dies with “Hidebu” as his last words.

Heart is an early boss in many Fist of the North Star video games. In this one he only appears through his Death Cry and his Destiny Talisman.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

achtungnight posted:

I must ask- how do you get the right analog stick to spin so fast in the bartending? Even with a shirt wrap I could not pull off such speed.

I got no secrets for that one, I just plant the palm of my hand on the stick and spin quickly. Sometimes I use the base of my middle finger, but otherwise it's just a fast rotation motion. Kinda like how kids used to get blisters from Mario Party 1, but with a more forgiving control stick.

I hadn't noticed that bigger thugs require bigger techniques in the nightclub, and I want to test this now :v

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

dscruffy1 posted:

I hadn't noticed that bigger thugs require bigger techniques in the nightclub, and I want to test this now :v

I learned about it from reading the customer descriptions in the mission briefings. I tested it out a few times and I can report it’s true. Thank goodness the bigger thugs don’t appear for a while yet. There’s also a cheap way to get rid of multiple rowdy and dissatisfied customers at a time once you unlock a certain girl. But I’ll talk about that later. I’m hoping you show her off when she arrives.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 27, 2019

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There are going to be giants at the club at some point, right?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Be careful with the palm planting technique, that can really hurt your hands! Nintendo got sued over this stuff, that's why Mario Party games don't have that kind of mechanic anymore.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's funny: When you look at Kenshiro and Rei, they're exactly the same body, but with different heads and clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Night10194 posted:

It's funny: When you look at Kenshiro and Rei, they're exactly the same body, but with different heads and clothes.

There’s apparently not a lot of diversity in the wasteland. The leader of the safety committee has the same face as the leader of the gang that killed him.