Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Commander Keene posted:

So... is there any indication of the health of those crates? They seem pretty tanky, but there didn't seem to be much indication of how close you were to failure there. No healthbars, and I couldn't see any visible indication of damage on the crates.

They will start to smoke and spark when they get low, but you're dependent on the Guidebot to tell you if something is going horribly wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

The only other thing that might be worth showing off before moving onto Overload is the Monster Ball multiplayer mode, and only then because it's Rocket League sixteen years before Rocket League making it a bit of a historical curiosity. Broadband wasn't at all common back then so it was janky as hell. It'd probably work a lot better with today's widespread broadband if not for the fact that you need a wizard and a high tolerance for pain to get the base game running.

Hitting the ball with a Black Shark was pretty funny though.

Thanks to berryjon for suffering through all this so we don't have to :zpatriot: Hopefully Overload gives you the sweet gaming bliss you've earned.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I fell behind for a month and just marathoned to get caught up. Am I correct in that there's just one more level before Overload? That'll be fortunate. I mean, Mercenary is better, but it still seems not great.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

It is done! BWAHAHAHAHAH!

I'll see you all next time for Overload - just give me some time to build a buffer. Until then, enjoy the best thing to ever come out of Descent 3:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
PTMC president: :tif:

Yeah, portal-based engines can do a lot of weird poo poo that's either much harder or impossible in other engines. Each sector in the map is like an entirely separate universe from the others except where the mapmaker has explicitly formed a connection between them. Which they didn't do for those long elevator shafts, so the shafts can go straight through that other room without them having any effect on each other.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 4, 2021

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Descent: Overload

Overload, made by the same people behind Descent 1 and 2, shows off what you can do with 15 years of technological advancement, and an understanding of the genre. It's gorgeous.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah. This game was a blast from the past, in the best possible sense.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Something you don't see in the video:
When you play Descent 3, the movement just feels off compared to 1&2. I had assumed it was because of over a decade of not playing. Then I tried Overload, and all the muscle memory came right back. Even though the weapons are different, everything just feels correct.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

idhrendur posted:

Overload: just feels correct.
I had to fix that for you. But yeah, that's the best and most elegant way to describe it. It just feels right.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Today's update will include the only failure reel for the Secret Levels in this game. They are difficult in the extreme, and the next one (Level 4) took over an hour of trying to complete.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

The secret levels are what convinced me to drop the difficulty.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You can also hold the flare button to fire an old-style flare. They give off very little light, but fly straight ahead until they hit a surface and stick there for a long time.

note: this information is useless

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The worst part about the secret levels is that this was the easiest one in the game. Never managed to do any of the others.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

No plithy comment about this level, sorry. I mean, aside from Skoll/Skull, but that never comes up because we have class.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
As far as I can tell, this game is using an upgraded Descent 1&2 engine. It uses a few tricks to make things look better like small meshes for lights and pipes which it calls "decals" and it uses some type of noise generator with some 3D textures to generate caves. It may also allow you to make more, bigger, and smaller cubes so you can do some more impressive things.

I'm sorry I couldn't join you on your recordings for this game. Life kinda got in the way. I'm an uncle now!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

The worst part about the secret levels is that this was the easiest one in the game. Never managed to do any of the others.

Gamma (Level 7) is pretty easy. A wide open central area maximized my dodging space, and the upgrades I've got at that point give me some hilariously high DPS.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

mastersord posted:

As far as I can tell, this game is using an upgraded Descent 1&2 engine. It uses a few tricks to make things look better like small meshes for lights and pipes which it calls "decals" and it uses some type of noise generator with some 3D textures to generate caves. It may also allow you to make more, bigger, and smaller cubes so you can do some more impressive things.

I'm sorry I couldn't join you on your recordings for this game. Life kinda got in the way. I'm an uncle now!

Not sure how true it is, but back in the day this game was touted as having “two game engines” with the entire shebang called “Fusion.” The internal and external areas were supposedly rendered on separate engines and mashed together. That said, I have no idea how true that is. It could be the same sales-pitch talk developers use to sell poo poo, like when Skyrim originally advertised it was using a “new game engine” and it really wasn’t.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

No, it's true. D3 had two separate engines. One for Flight Sim on the surface, and the other for inside the mines. When you look at the automap, you never see both rendered at the same time because you're on two distinct maps, and the rendering engine details both differently.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

New weapons! That sound just like popcorn! And no, I still don't have that achievement.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Saturn is about 1/12th the diameter of the Sun, and in this mission you're about 1/12th as far away from it as Earth is from the Sun, so they should look roughly the same size, right? The size Saturn is shown at in the pre-mission looks pretty accurate, in that case.

Also, I had no idea just how vast Saturn's moon system is. No wonder new ones keep getting discovered. It's like 1/6th of an AU in radius. Put in the center of the solar system, it would reach halfway to the orbit of Mercury.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

The end of Act 1, and it's the traditional Boss Fight!

berryjon fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 23, 2021

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Commentary version has no game audio.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Montegoraon posted:

Commentary version has no game audio.

I have no clue what happened there. I'll fix the audio, but the replacement won't be up until tomorrow due to my crappy internet connection.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

The corrected video has been uploaded and the link above has been edited correctly.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

berryjon posted:

The end of Act 1, and it's the traditional Boss Fight!

This boss fight was where I personally fell entirely in love with this game. Overload is so good.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
The model name of the reactor on the Goliath (P9S) is a little...suggestive, isn't it?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

they had to use a P9S because they were fresh out of L1-GMA

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Welcome to Act 2!

I know people might object to how I upgrade my ship, but I may be able to scrounge up the effort to show off all the potential upgrades at some point.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

A little bit of thread participation for you all, nothing too serious. How should I upgrade this game's version of the Fusion Gun? I can either go A: Mid-range seeking or B: Longer/higher Charge damage? I've tested both sides out in practice, and I can't settle on one or the other.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
I'd vote for A:

mid-range seeking.

The mid-size enemies like hulks and the large laser volley units do seem to have a decent amount of dodge/maneuverability, so anything that turns misses into hits is going to make a big difference for an "all or nothing" big projectile gun. It doesn't take any extra charge time so it's more reliable in situations where you're getting surrounded or swarmed - I would think any situation where you have the luxury of being able to charge the gun up even further would be one where you're not in that much danger regardless.

That said, in theory higher/longer charge damage is a better opener to a fight, but I would hope that even the regular full charge would still be pretty good for that.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Voting mid-range homing, because you seem to hate those harpies so much. Plus the environments are usually quite cramped and knife-fightey, range isn't an issue and waiting to charge before firing is just more time you risk eating incoming fire.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I really do appreciate that this game makes at least a token effort to explain or justify things. It's nice worldbuilding.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

In regards to showing off all the weapons New Game+ allows to to re-allocate your upgrade points.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
Finally caught up with the thread!

Something to be cautious about, it seems picking up a log followed by a cryo pod overwrites the log text with the cryo pod info. It can be a little hard to tell exactly what they're saying as a result.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I don't like this level. Dark mines just aren't my thing. Give me light!

fragmites
Feb 18, 2013
I do not like dark levels, pretty much in any game and I'll turn up game brightness to have bad over-staturated colours just so I can see what's happening without having to strain at it. That level might have been tough but fun for me if it all had at least the lava glow amount of ambient; as it was I'd use headlghts all the time (I've only played some of Descent 1). My eyes aren't great, and my monitor wouldn't be that impressive 25 years ago (Ok, it's flat screen, but that's all). The rest of Overload looks good; maybe sometime when my to-play pile starts getting low...

berryjon
May 30, 2011

YOU SAW NOTHING!

And now that we're officially in the back half of the game, we get out of the darkness and into the glowing violet light of exotic particles! (AKA, my second favourite gun in the game, and probably fourth overall across the whole series).

berryjon fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 19, 2021

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
There doesn't seem to be any commentary in either version.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Guess who did all the necessary post-processing and then uploaded the wrong video?

This guy!

It's a 9 hour upload, so I'll get that done overnight. Fixes in the morning. Editing out the links now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Now with 1000% more commentary!