Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Aw yeah, Descent. I'm real happy that this old classic is still playable today without too much hassle with emulator setup, system configuration, etc. Apparently it used to be a real popular LAN game back in the 90s, but I must have missed out on that.

I will absolutely 100% credit this game for giving me a good sense of direction as a kid, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
It's really impressive how spiteful this game can get sometimes with both its enemy placement and setpiece design (and, more boringly, just having a hitscan enemy with fast reaction time in general).

This is how developers make memorable difficulty, not just "increase the enemy quantity and enemy stats" difficulty.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
This becomes slightly more evident in later videos, but the vulcan robots do have one weakness beyond just their general low health and ability to be blown up with homing missiles and splash damage. They do have to rotate to face the player before they can begin firing, so if you get their attention from one corridor, then run away and then flank them from another angle, they can't shoot you while their back is turned.

That said they're still a really rude enemy design since they react very fast, are generally already damaging you by the time you can hear them, and on top of that are small and kind of fast too. They're also often placed inside little nooks rather than mid-way in hallways or loops, so they're always facing outwards, meaning you can't really sneak up on them without aforementioned homing missiles.

Thankfully after some other robots get introduced there's a bit less of a focus on them. A little bit.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Here's some fanart for the thread. The Boss wants you in his office in five minutes.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

mastersord posted:

The only weapon-type that these games don't really have is a sniper.

The vulcan cannon is kind of like that (and a particular fast missile in Descent 2), but they don't really have the "high damage in one single package" that a sniper rifle shot usually has.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
I didn't really have time to say this in the video proper, but I think a faster way of getting the point across that the boss is immune to energy weapons would be to have the boss counterattack with plasma bolts just like the Diamond Claws were doing - that would directly tell the player that hitting it with energy weapons is a bad idea.

Also doesn't help that the Helix Cannon shots exploding on the boss both obscure the purple energy and imply that they're doing damage. They probably should have just disappeared or made an "energy recharge" noise instead.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

The banner has a typo; it's "Magnacore Station". The YouTube video has the correct title. Understandable and easy typo though.

EDIT:

I hope we get to use more Mega missiles in the future. This game has plenty of explosions but it could use some more REALLY BIG explosions.

Leylite fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 19, 2020

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
I can't believe the ThiefBot managed to steal your commentary file.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Missing that yellow key was the Descent equivalent of watching television, going to the kitchen, pouring yourself a drink, chatting with family, doing the dishes, answering some texts, then going back to watch TV and forgetting to pick up the drink.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
"Introducing the game" videos are so fun, we decided to do another one!

I'm helping!

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
So long as there is evil in men's hearts, Thief Bot will always rise again.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
I can't believe poor Blue Jumpsuit Man was killed by a slow progress bar.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
The moral of the story: if you do have to make a sewer level, please put some landmarks in it. Turbines, pipelines, reservoirs, waterfalls, computer stations, big blocky machines that do nothing but release steam and make industrial noises... do something to make it not just a bunch of tunnels.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
I only have one response to the ending movie. There's plenty of more obvious ones, but this is mine to make:

KESSLER SYNDROME!!! You fools, you've doomed us all!

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
I'd vote for A:

mid-range seeking.

The mid-size enemies like hulks and the large laser volley units do seem to have a decent amount of dodge/maneuverability, so anything that turns misses into hits is going to make a big difference for an "all or nothing" big projectile gun. It doesn't take any extra charge time so it's more reliable in situations where you're getting surrounded or swarmed - I would think any situation where you have the luxury of being able to charge the gun up even further would be one where you're not in that much danger regardless.

That said, in theory higher/longer charge damage is a better opener to a fight, but I would hope that even the regular full charge would still be pretty good for that.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Some days after the event, I'm considering that the reason Kantor and company couldn't just "turn off" or "unplug" the Sovereigns, to buy time to think about the current situation, is that the Sovereigns were receiving power via wireless power transmission (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_power_transfer#Resonant_inductive_coupling). Perhaps the aliens have figured out how to transmit power using either the universe itself as a medium, or through alternate spatial dimensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
In my experience, keyboard control has often been "enough", although sometimes it makes it trickier to do the more involved maneuvers like rolling + moving at the same time, or trichording on reaction instead of just to show off.

After all, not everybody owned one of those fancy Sidewinder peripherals!