Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Namtab posted:

The slow realisation that,yes, they are doing it for eight episodes was excellent

This is it right here. Watching it while it was airing was amazing. The discussions that happened when the 2nd and 3rd repeat hit were great, like "surely they won't keep doing this".

The exasperation from fans on loops after that, plus the fact that KyoAni actually treated and animated each episode as it's own entity, it was perfect. Two solid months of episodes and agony.

It was living art, you had to be there. Anyone watching it now is a lunatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Larryb posted:

Also, they never told us what Kyon's real name was did they?

They never even told us what Kyon's sister's name is.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, has there been anything from the light novels that still hasn't appeared in animated form yet?

A lot. I think people were expecting at least Snow Mountain Syndrome to show up, but there's still a few books' worth that never made it.

Endless Eight is probably the consequence of having a certain number of episodes to fill, needing to leave Disappearance until the movie that comes afterwards, and not reusing the out-of-order gimmick.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, has there been anything from the light novels that still hasn't appeared in animated form yet?
If memory doesn't completely fail me, between both seasons and the movie, Novels 1 through 5 and most of 6 have been covered. So out of 11 novels, we're halfway there basically.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alright, so there's enough material left over for another season or two at least. Only question is whether or not they'd ever be willing to bring it back one day.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, those odds look rather slim. Like, part of the reason that things like the Monogatari franchise have lasted so long is that they keep making Seasons/OVA's/Movies every year for the last decade (oh, and that both the novels and the DVD/BD's sell fairly well).

I mean, it took over 4 years for Durarara!! to get a 2nd season and it took A Certain Magical Index over 5 years to get a 3rd season, so it's not a complete impossibility, but yeah, still a fairly long shot.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Well I bought the bluray and now I'm here building buzz on social media so I think things are looking up!

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

We will always have the melancholy of Nagato Yuki-chan in our hearts

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Er... disappearance? Whatever it was called

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Honestly, my favorite character in the series was introduced in the part that hasn't been animated yet, but while there's kind of a big arc that gets built up and ends, nothing about it feels conclusive enough to finish a full new season, imo.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 12, 2019

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I’ve been brain poisoned and am just hearing “kyon-kun, denwa” over and over in my head now.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Namtab posted:

The slow realisation that,yes, they are doing it for eight episodes was excellent

It was so, so good. I have memory problems because of epilepsy and so I tend to doubt my own recollections of things, so when that second episode started going it was like I was loving tripping. After a minute or two I was feeling mostly sure I had seen these things happen last week, but also, it didn't really seem like I had seen this episode before, somehow? But that didn't make any sense. I remember stopping the episode to check and make sure I was playing the right one, just to be certain I wasn't playing last week's, and it was right, so I kept watching.

But the longer I watched the more loving confused I got. Surely, I just watched this last week! I didn't remember every single aspect of it but it was extremely familiar! I'm pretty sure that I actually went back and looked at the previous week's episode just to be sure that I wasn't completely losing my mind. Unfortunately, learning that in this case it really was the world that had gone mad, and not me, and that for some reason they really had completely reanimated and reproduced an entire episode and were airing it again after fans had waited (years?), was, well... a distinctly surreal comfort.

Seeing them draw that out into eight episodes and experiencing that along with an increasingly apoplectic fanbase was sublime. That must have been what it was like to watch the K Foundation burn that pile of £1,000,000 cash.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I watched it with my gf and was cackling like an rear end in a top hat each time she realized it was looping again. I wish I was able to watch it as it aired, but for some reason I didn't bother at the time.

Wark Say posted:

Yeah, those odds look rather slim. Like, part of the reason that things like the Monogatari franchise have lasted so long is that they keep making Seasons/OVA's/Movies every year for the last decade (oh, and that both the novels and the DVD/BD's sell fairly well).

I mean, it took over 4 years for Durarara!! to get a 2nd season and it took A Certain Magical Index over 5 years to get a 3rd season, so it's not a complete impossibility, but yeah, still a fairly long shot.

Hey, we finally got a new season of Full Metal Panic after thirteen goddamn years, so it's certainly possible. Haruhi was definitely way more popular than FMP, and it's at least similar to the kind of stuff KyoAni likes to put out now. Are they even still the hot-poo poo animation studio they were back in the day? I haven't followed that kind of stuff for a long-rear end time, so I don't even know if we'd want them to be the ones doing anything new.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
It's been a while since I watched, but there's an argument to be made that Endless Eight provides a big portion of the context that gives Disappearance its emotional punch, especially the really meta bit with Yuki at the end.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

StandardVC10 posted:

It's been a while since I watched, but there's an argument to be made that Endless Eight provides a big portion of the context that gives Disappearance its emotional punch, especially the really meta bit with Yuki at the end.

As much as I appreciated it for the community art aspect, watching everyone lose their poo poo etc, I do genuinely believe it was tremendously effective at generating empathy with Yuki and conveying, even in a small way, what it would really be like to be stuck in the hell of a time loop. It's also pretty cool just as an artifact to see eight different directors give their own take on the same story. After a couple episodes I began to actually enjoy that aspect of it, simply seeing the changes in costuming or composition or acting or dialogue and what kind of impact that did or didn't have. Probably a bit of Stockholm's but I thought it was fun.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Coxswain Balls posted:

Hey, we finally got a new season of Full Metal Panic after thirteen goddamn years, so it's certainly possible. Haruhi was definitely way more popular than FMP, and it's at least similar to the kind of stuff KyoAni likes to put out now. Are they even still the hot-poo poo animation studio they were back in the day? I haven't followed that kind of stuff for a long-rear end time, so I don't even know if we'd want them to be the ones doing anything new.
I completely forgot about Full Metal Panic! :doh:

KyoAni seems to be doing just fine, for the most part.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I didn't mind watching through Endless Eight live, because it was kind of interesting and the payoff at the end was worth it at the time. Looking back now, I kind of wish they hadn't done it that way since I think it played a major role in killing the whole franchise.
I suspect that what killed the franchise is the author not putting out any new books, given that anime is typically used to drive sales of other things.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Another contributing factor to not continuing the show was that as far as I recall, Aya Hirano had a huuuuge fall from grace and went just a bit bat poo poo crazy in part due to a tumor, and made worse by the massive amounts of negative attention she was getting from the fans at the time.

Either way, Watching endless 8 at the time was honestly hilarious if you were not too invested in the whole thing. People were losing their minds over the whole thing both in Japan and in the western communities and if you could detach yourself from that outrage, it was incredibly impressive how much kyoani committed to the whole thing. They reanimated the same episode more or less from scratch like 6 times, only deviating at the end when the story was resolving itself. They really nailed themselves to that cross and people hated them for it. I guess the question to ask in retrospect, is was it worth it? I would say yes but of course lots of people feel very differently.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Hearing Aya Hirano as Haruhi again made watching Nagato Yuki-Chan completely worth it.

Regarding a Season 3, most anime adaptations are made to advertise the original work. The Haruhi Light Novels I believe were the best selling Light Novels ever until they were eventually surpassed by Monogatari. So combine that with the fact that there hasn't been a new light novel to advertise since 2011, makes it seem that a season 3 is very unlikely.

I will still never give up hope though. The Disappearence is my favorite anime ever, and one of my favorite movies period. To see all the great poo poo that comes after it would be amazing.

fucking love Fiona Apple fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 13, 2019

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Wark Say posted:

Has anyone tried a Zaireeka-esque approach with Endless Eight?

People were setting that up not long after it aired, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOiW-0rmglE

I still think the whole thing was a noble failure but man there are parts of the arc I just adore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Watching it as it aired, one episode per week, without knowing what was happening, was amazing. Miserable, but amazing.

If you sit down and binge watch it now and you know how it works, you deserve the suffering you get.