Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Kaddish posted:

Thanks for these suggestions. Wife and I are doing 12 days in Hawaii in August with most of that on the big island but we want to take a couple of days to explore Oahu as well. We'll definitely avoid Waikiki!

We are doing 9 days in July on Waikiki. This thread is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Has anyone been to Hawaii lately? My wife and i have a big trip planned for end of August (Maui & Oahu), but she's getting all worked up by poo poo she's reading on Twitter about how the post-Covid tourism is out of control and every hotel is at capacity and the crowds are just nuts. Is that just Twitter blowing poo poo out of proportion or is it actually that bad right now?

I’m getting on a plane tomorrow to Oahu . We had to just buy a day pass to Pearl Harbor because all the tours were sold out through mid August; same with all the luaus, some of the sunset cruises and the ranch where they filmed lost and Jurassic park. The hourly car rentals through drivehui are almost all unavailable too.

We had no problem booking circle island tours, massages or snorkeling or a trolley pass though.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
-OSG,

Speedishuttle was supposed to pick us up at 225 and didn’t arrive until 315. If you choose them, go to the last part of baggage claim and look for them. Due to traffic we didn’t get back to hotel for another hour.

We were able to book most of what I couldn’t through the hotel concierge but the lauas have been sold out for weeks and are only operating at 70% capacity.

The restaurant we went to last night was pretty dead. They re so vigilant about Covid here which is great.

Also, if you’ve never been - I wasn’t expecting to see homeless camps in the state parks

First full day: 90 min-2hr waits everywhere for breakfast. The Ala Moana mall was packed, and dinner was interesting. We went to one place with a 90 minute wait and then next door to an Italian restaurant with no wait (and also the best pizza I’ve ever had)

Still a lot of places closed due to inability to find help

Pillowpants fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 17, 2021