Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I’m sorry to bump and old thread but we’re planning a vacation to Oahu in the summer, which will include my daughter who will be 1 and a 1/2 by then.

At first was looking at Waikiki but everyone (including this thread) says it’s a tourist death trap so wife and I are looking at North Shore- maybe a resort? We’ll be there for 5 nights and don’t plan to island-hop, we just want to relax. I’ll probably rent a car for a day or two for an excursion to Pearl or other points of interest.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Elysium posted:

As I said above Waikiki is what it is, a small but dense city full of hotels, restaurants, shopping, and traffic, along a crowded but very lovely set of beaches. If that's what you are looking for, look no further. Many people vacation in Waikiki and have a great time. You do not need or even want a car (it will be $50 a night to park it), unless you are trying to leave Waikiki.

As far as I know the only resort on the North Shore is Turtle Bay. It's kind of isolated (as much as you can be on a small island), but people probably like that. Also golf. Definitely need a car the whole time unless you plan on only staying on resort. Dunno, they might have shuttles to attractions or pay-for excursions.

Every time I've gone it's always been small group trips with a rental house, but it's been a while, so I can't speak to the state of AirBnB's and the such. We would just find a nice house on the North Shore and visit Haleiwa (cute town for shopping and restaurants), and alternate beach trips with Sunset Beach, Waimea Bay, Shark Cove and various hikes.

For a slightly more "local" type experience, you might try to find something in Kailua or Kaneohe on the windward side.

These are just places I've personally been, all nice in their own way. I'm sure there are plenty more.

This is really helpful thank you.

Looking at prices it turns out we might have to pick a hotel in Waikiki after all, that is if we don’t want to blow our budget. Honestly if we go in with the mindset it will be crowded we’ll be fine. Just need to settle on dates and find which hotel is best for our needs.