Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Thanks for these suggestions. Wife and I are doing 12 days in Hawaii in August with most of that on the big island but we want to take a couple of days to explore Oahu as well. We'll definitely avoid Waikiki!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I ended up booking a hotel......on Waikiki. We're only on Oahu for two nights and this place is at the very end of Waikiki, near Diamondhead.

So our itinerary will be:

2 nights Oahu (Queen Kapiʻolani Hotel)
5 nights Big Island Kona (Condo from VRBO)
4 nights Big Island near Volcanoes National Park (Volcano Village Lodge B&B)

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

CheshireCat posted:

Waikiki is fine for shopping or eating, but there are much better places for beaches or other activities on Oahu - as suggested in the thread. Take in all of the tourists and tourist trap-ish things (not sure about the current COVID environment) for an hour and then better spend your time elsewhere on the island. Didn't see it in the thread, but check out Liliha Bakery in Honolulu and especially the coco puffs.

For the Big Island obviously the big draw is Volcanoes National Park but check out South Point - southern most part of Hawaii and the United States as a whole - with cliff diving and a green sand beach nearby. It's been a long time for me but if you're in Hilo I enjoyed Cafe Pesto for food.

How is the hike to the green sand beach?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Hopefully they get the vaccine passport stuff sorted out by then. I see they just removed all restrictions from inter-island travel so that’s a start.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Off to Oahu tomorrow just for a couple of days and then 9 days on the Big Island. Can't wait to travel again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Waikiki is crowded as hell

Tomorrow we’re getting out of this madness and hiking diamond and then taking the scenic route to north shore