Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

EVG posted:

Just booked 5 nights at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort through a CostCo Travel deal (PBUC). Any new advice on the best places to hit / avoid? Definitely wanting to get in a little beach time, some snorkling, maybe a whale or dolphin watching boat ride, and getting a car to drive up to the North Shore. And eating all the food.

Well, Waikiki is Waikiki, for better or worse. You're near a bunch of shops and restaurants, but it's not unlike most cities, crowded, traffic, expensive, etc. Most of the things I would recommend involve getting a car and driving away from there... but having a car in Waikiki means traffic and parking for $40 a night so. But you are close to Diamond Head/Pearl Harbor (kind of, it's by the airport)/Haunuma Bay/Zoo Aquarium. Walk down the beach to Steak Shack if you're tired of $20 burgers at the hotel beach bars and just want a simple Hawaiian style meat and rice plate. I would take an Uber and get breakfast or brunch at Koko Head Cafe one day and a dinner at Opal Thai (loved his Haleiwa location, never been since he moved to Honolulu). I would skip Hanauma bay unless you go on an off day and EARLY. Makapu'u lighthouse trail is an easy (but all uphill) paved walk to some great views, and if you hike down the rocks (can be quite a scramble) there are cool tidepools about halfway off the trail. Do not bother taking a trip to Dole, even if it's on your way to the North Shore, or at MOST grab a Whip and get out. If you're doing Diamond Head, go for Sunrise or Sunset. I mean sure the view is still great at noon, but if you're gonna do it go for the spectacle.

I don't think of Honolulu at all when I think of stuff to do in Oahu really. There's hikes and waterfalls all over. You could check out Kailua farmers market, Lanikai beach, kayak to Moku Nui, the Botanical Gardens, Haneohe Sandbar, Sunset Beach, Waimea Bay (jump off the big rock if the water is right!), Haleiwa, Shrimp trucks, some of the best Poke is just at convenience stores off the road. So much do to away from Waikiki.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Except don’t take 42 at all, take 72 around the southeast and up 83 the whole way along the coast.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
As I said above Waikiki is what it is, a small but dense city full of hotels, restaurants, shopping, and traffic, along a crowded but very lovely set of beaches. If that's what you are looking for, look no further. Many people vacation in Waikiki and have a great time. You do not need or even want a car (it will be $50 a night to park it), unless you are trying to leave Waikiki.

As far as I know the only resort on the North Shore is Turtle Bay. It's kind of isolated (as much as you can be on a small island), but people probably like that. Also golf. Definitely need a car the whole time unless you plan on only staying on resort. Dunno, they might have shuttles to attractions or pay-for excursions.

Every time I've gone it's always been small group trips with a rental house, but it's been a while, so I can't speak to the state of AirBnB's and the such. We would just find a nice house on the North Shore and visit Haleiwa (cute town for shopping and restaurants), and alternate beach trips with Sunset Beach, Waimea Bay, Shark Cove and various hikes.

For a slightly more "local" type experience, you might try to find something in Kailua or Kaneohe on the windward side.

These are just places I've personally been, all nice in their own way. I'm sure there are plenty more.