Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I looked through the Hawaii threads here, but they seemed focused on the big island... what about Oahu / Waikiki? I'm going to be there soon and looking for suggestions. We'll be hiking, checking out the food trucks on the North shore, maybe the Lost/Jurassic Park valley tour... what should I make sure to NOT miss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Thanks for the recommendations, the trip was great and your advice was valuable.

Hanauma Bay was great. We got there early (an absolute must for everything we saw on the island) and we were able to get our fill of snorkeling and beaching. When we left, the parking lot was full and there were people walking up the mountain, having parked at the bottom. That would make for a miserable experience.

Miserable experience is a lot of Waikiki summary. Truly hell tourism. But, once you got out of Waikiki, the island itself is gorgeous and great fun. An amazing array of different topographies. We had full-on lush jungle near Manoa Falls, which was a good quick hike, but man... we got there early and went straight up. On the way down, there started to be wave after wave of group going up. I'd hate to see that place mid-day with people trying to go up and down the single-file trail at once. Again, it'd be miserable.

There were also places that looked/felt like Nevada, and a lot of places that felt like coastal California.

The food was awesome. Best had to be the shave ice and food truck shrimp at North Shore.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Xaris posted:

What did you do for snorkel gear? My gf and I are going to Oahu in August, staying at Ko Olina area, so a lot of these recs are good. Probably just going to avoid Waikiki and most of Honolulu itself except a few places and museums.

Also what shaved ice place do you recommend?

At Hanauma Bay, they rent scuba gear for $20. Get there before 7AM. We went to the Waikiki Aquarium later on in the day that we went snorkeling and we had seen 40%+ of the fish in the aquarium when we were in the reef.

For shave ice, we stopped at Fumi's Kahuku Shrimp and went next door to Rainbow Shave Ice https://www.google.com/search?clien....08099375695804 It was extraordinary. And it was only $4 for a huge bowl of shave ice with ice cream.