Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Just booked 5 nights at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort through a CostCo Travel deal (PBUC). Any new advice on the best places to hit / avoid? Definitely wanting to get in a little beach time, some snorkling, maybe a whale or dolphin watching boat ride, and getting a car to drive up to the North Shore. And eating all the food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Elysium posted:

Well, Waikiki is Waikiki, for better or worse. You're near a bunch of shops and restaurants, but it's not unlike most cities, crowded, traffic, expensive, etc. Most of the things I would recommend involve getting a car and driving away from there... but having a car in Waikiki means traffic and parking for $40 a night so. But you are close to Diamond Head/Pearl Harbor (kind of, it's by the airport)/Haunuma Bay/Zoo Aquarium. I would take an Uber and get breakfast or brunch at Koko Head Cafe one day and a dinner at Opal Thai (loved his Haleiwa location, never been since he moved to Honolulu). I would skip Hanauma bay unless you go on an off day and EARLY. Makapu'u lighthouse trail is an easy (but all uphill) paved walk to some great views, and if you hike down the rocks (can be quite a scramble) there are cool tidepools about halfway off the trail. Do not bother taking a trip to Dole, even if it's on your way to the North Shore, or at MOST grab a Whip and get out. If you're doing Diamond Head, go for Sunrise or Sunset. I mean sure the view is still great at noon, but if you're gonna do it go for the spectacle.

I don't think of Honolulu at all when I think of stuff to do in Oahu really. There's hikes and waterfalls all over. You could check out Kailua farmers market, Lanikai beach, kayak to Moku Nui, the Botanical Gardens, Haneohe Sandbar, Sunset Beach, Waimea Bay (jump off the big rock if the water is right!), Haleiwa, Shrimp trucks. So much do to away from Waikiki.

Thanks, that's all great info. I live in Chicago, so I don't really need to check out the bustle of the city, I can do that here. We plan to get rental cars by the day to drive around and return them to avoid the parking fee. Those all sound great, especially the Lighthouse trail, Diamond Head, and eating all the things. And I've never had a Dole whip, so maybe I will stop in for that.