Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I loved Utena, thought Penguindrum was pretty drat good, could not get past episode 2 of Yurikuma. I have to imagine he's at his best when the people around him can keep him in check, because Yurikuma felt more uncomfortable (in a bad way, not like Utena was) then entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

At the end of the TV series, Juri mentions being saved from drowning as a kid, so that is probably where you got it from. It wouldn't really make any sense if it was Touga in that continuity, but that's probably where the concept came from in the movie.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

As far as the stuff in Yurikuma, I remember the transformation sequence in particular feeling really uncomfortably sexual in a way that wasn't like something from Utena. The latter has a clear message of "these kids are too young for this", while Yurikuma's just felt like it had none of that. Couple that with the first magazine scans of the shows existence mentioning the girls' panty colors and I was just super turned off.

To be honest I thought the Utena movie was just alright. It looked really nice (though I hated what they did to Utena's and Juri's hair) but as far as what actually happened in it, it just felt like a worse version of what we already saw.

Then there's the manga, which is a much worse version of what we already saw.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Short haired Utena good, but they made long haired Utena super flowy in a way that just didn't look very good. Anime Juri has perfectly sculpted curls while movie Juri has straight hair going down to her thighs.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Cephas posted:

yurikuma is trashy but i still love it. the girls are cute, the bears are cute, and except for a little boy and three sexy men, every single person in the show is a lesbian. and "kuma shock" is great. i seem to recall the manga being better than the show in its case.

if anyone ever wondered what the deal is with Miki's stopwatch in Utena, I heard that in a play production of Utena his character actually explains that he uses it to keep track of how long he spends detesting the student council

Actually I'm pretty sure he stops it whenever he has a gay thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Coolness Averted posted:

Oh, can you go into that or have some highlights? I never read it, but just heard it wound up being radically different in the same way Sailor Moon was, and I think like most kids assumed it must've been different in a cool way.

So as far as I'm aware the anime and manga were essentially made independent of each other. While I would like to think of them that way I can't really help but directly compare them since they share characters and the same basic story.

The biggest most glaring problem is the characters. The manga has the same basic plot, but since it's more condensed, you don't really see a lot of the downtime, and this hurts Anthy's character a lot. She ends up feeling less like the main love interest and more like scenery that has some connection to the plot.

The student council was pretty much entirely terrible. Miki has a crush on Utena and all the stuff with her sister is mostly gone, Touga has a change of heart after Utena beats him and becomes her manservant (it's even less endearing then it sounds). Did you ever think to yourself "God, I wish Juri was essentially just Nanami but less developed"? Well good news for you, literal worst person in the world! Nanami gets a tiny cameo in the way of a single photo and Juri takes her spot as "the girl that likes/defends Touga" and it is easily the worst part of the entire manga. Saionji is more or less the same as the anime personality wise and takes on a few of Nanami's traits (getting Anthy the dress and having the curry powder), but without anything more.

Akio's made out to be more of a supervillain and at one point threatens to kill Utena by way of car crash. I think in general the manga just feels a lot more surface level than the anime did. I could go into more detail but it has been a while and I admit, I didn't think too hard about what the manga portrayed as opposed to the anime. After seeing Nanami Juri though, I didn't really care. She does get development after the ending (maybe?) but it's a chapter about Ruka and I didn't bother reading it.