Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've played the American campaign in Combat Mission Black Sea on the hardest difficulty and handily beat it, so that article is bullshit imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Wheeee posted:

the current rate of scientific advancement in most fields is accelerating, we are on the cusp of major revolutions in multiple fields. Yea rockets and airplanes are pretty well figured out now, but biotech is just ramping up and machine learning and general AI are advancing extremely quickly

Which TEDx talk told you that?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Typo posted:

LOL even loving turkey sent a ship to try to break israeli blockade of palestine

And look how well that went. Just ship after ship steaming into Gaza harbour nowadays, right?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
cerebral bore is the best because when he's stupid, he's at least aggressively stupid enough to be entertaining

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
good I want to get vaporized tbh

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Honestly, I think "WW3" probably is just going to be a series of proxy wars happening continuously but the major players Russia/China/US don't actually engage each other. Basically, the Cold War on steroids.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Ardennes posted:

Honestly, I think "WW3" probably is just going to be a series of proxy wars happening continuously but the major players Russia/China/US don't actually engage each other. Basically, the Cold War on steroids.

this ain't yo mommas cold war!!!

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Ardennes posted:

it's pretty unlikely to hit 20th century cold war levels tbh

mainly because i think the appetite for any of the major powers to put a lot of their own troops (so past a few thousand) into a proxy battleground is pretty low after Iraq/Afghanistan. It's pretty unlikely to see the US/China/Russia deploy 500k troops into Vietnam or w/e like US did.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Typo posted:

cerebral bore is the best because when he's stupid, he's at least aggressively stupid enough to be entertaining

Well let's be for real a second. The Chinese could interdict blockade runners easily and turn them around without having to kill anybody. The IDF executed those people on the Mavi Marmara because they're assholes.

You can say "that's illegal" but so is the blockade of Gaza. So what's anybody going to do about it?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Chinese could interdict blockade runners easily and turn them around without having to kill anybody.

You are assuming the PLAN would never, ever gently caress up an interaction with a blockade runner...or five

which is insanely optimistic

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Ardennes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oazwTDeqF54

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Typo posted:

I see you've chosen to project instead of telling us more about the bold mariners who'd gladly sail into the jaws of death to defy the wicked yellow peril. Kinda low energy, tbh.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

quote:

You can say "that's illegal" but so is the blockade of Gaza. So what's anybody going to do about it?
If China wants to force Taiwan to submit it wants to do so in a very brief window of time because the US actually has treaty obligations to defend Taiwan and if I were China I wouldn't be that confident about how PLAAF land-based airpower does vs US carrier borne squadrons. China would prefer to force Taiwan to give up before Washington responds. And in the future it's very probable some of China's other neighbors might be antsy over overtly expansionist china enough to intervene. If China shoots a whole bunch of USA citizens that might force the US's hand.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Typo posted:

You are assuming the PLAN would never, ever gently caress up an interaction with a blockade runner...or five

which is insanely optimistic

:shrug:

A war over Taiwan isn't realistic to begin with.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

:shrug:

A war over Taiwan isn't realistic to begin with.

oh sure, but we are already in tom clancy territory so we might as well as keep going

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

OK cool luckily WW3 isn't likely to happen anytime soon. It doesn't look good but who knows what the facts will be if/when it does occur.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Raere posted:

OK cool luckily WW3 isn't likely to happen anytime soon. It doesn't look good but who knows what the facts will be if/when it does occur.

WW4 will be fought with sixers and posts

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The only concevible way I could think of where WWIII could start and not have things immediately light up is if there is a massive breakdown of society or revolution in one of the existing world powers which then devolves into basically a massive Syria style clusterfuck. All of the remaining powers would then give massive support to their own faction within the dying country and the whole thing would turn into a massive proxy war. In this way none of the other powers homelands would come directly under threat, but the power jockeying within the dying power would be used to affect the geopolitical and economic position of the rest of the planet.

Basically, my vision of WWIII is a 21st century 30 Years War.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Feldegast42 posted:

Basically, my vision of WWIII is a 21st century 30 Years War.

we've being having the 21st century 30 years war since what 2003?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
we've always been at war with eurasia

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the thread title is not a serious prediction of world war, folks

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Typo posted:

we've being having the 21st century 30 years war since what 2003?

Only 12 more years left to go!

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the thread title is not a serious prediction of world war, folks

killjoy is here

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Just like world war 3 there's no way to win.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Ardennes posted:

40% of Taiwanese exports go to China, it is probably already too late. I guess they could "go nuts", but their strategy is clearly already working. It will probably just be a process of slowly wearing them down and they forcing them into some type of loose-EU style political pact. China really isn't interested in getting rid of the Taiwanese military, the Taiwanese dollar or even ruling Taiwan directly, but to essentially take Taiwan out of the geopolitical equation.

In contrast, the hatred toward Japan is real.

there's also the fact that from what I heard, China has being spending a lot of $$$ bribing taiwanese military leaders/politicians, so it's quite possible a lot of the elite has divided loyalties

Taiwan ending up "Finlandized" for lack of a better word is prob best outcome for taiwan, but I wouldn't be surprised if china pushes for full annexation as a propaganda move to gain popularity with its own citizens either

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this is even more prescient than them predicting president trump

twoday
May 4, 2005

World War 3 will be rough but World War 4 is the real bad one, and then it's gonna be bronze-age weapons in World War 5

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

twoday posted:

World War 3 will be rough but World War 4 is the real bad one, and then it's gonna be bronze-age weapons in World War 5

I think after World War 4 we get the Ghost in the Shell timeline.

twoday
May 4, 2005

World War 7 will see the comeback of dirigibles

World War 12 will involve lots of mammoth calvary

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im playing lots of hearts of iron

twoday
May 4, 2005

paul_soccer10 posted:

im playing lots of hearts of iron

That game loving rules

I will never forget the hours of work that went into making a nuclear-armed Juche-style Tibet

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
my favorite game in HOI was when I played as China, beat the japanese, then back-stabbed the USSR when Germany invaded and took over siberia

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The "historic track record" you tried to claim was an extremely limited attack done purely for political theater.

tbf that's one more example than you've provided

you can also look at things like the Al Hussein attacks during the first Gulf War, Egyptian FROG-7's during the Yom Kippur War, etc.

I'm aware targeting has gotten significantly more accurate, but we're still fundamentally talking about slinging 500-1500kg warheads at targets that can be hardened or dispersed

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I'm not too confident in Russia's military ability after Ukraine. I realize they're prevented from fully committing but thus far they've been unable to achieve victory in a country on their own border who the U.S barely bothers to give even token support. The U.S may have shown it's currently unable/unwilling to actually hold places like Iraq/Afghanistan. But it was entirely able to obliterate any semblance of a military or State those places had quite handily from the other side of the world. I could see something like the U.S winning the "war" and then getting utterly humiliated and its rear end kicked afterword.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

galagazombie posted:

I'm not too confident in Russia's military ability after Ukraine. I realize they're prevented from fully committing but thus far they've been unable to achieve victory in a country on their own border who the U.S barely bothers to give even token support. The U.S may have shown it's currently unable/unwilling to actually hold places like Iraq/Afghanistan. But it was entirely able to obliterate any semblance of a military or State those places had quite handily from the other side of the world. I could see something like the U.S winning the "war" and then getting utterly humiliated and its rear end kicked afterword.

Afghanistan is the grave of empires

twoday
May 4, 2005

Having a stronghold of the Chinese navy in the Atlantic is going to be fun:

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/910524153249361921?s=19

https://twitter.com/d_jaishankar/status/786492179694784512?s=19

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lol

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just enable godmode.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
The us hasn't won a war in more than 100 years, why would this one be any different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
twilight struggle 2 when