Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The Oldest Man posted:

ff what do you think about towed artillery being done forever and replaced with autonomous robot spgs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

lodging all my hussies in poona ftw

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

On the one hand, very cool.

On the other, rubbing salt on the wound, since Firepower, the museum of the Royal Artillery is still closed and without a new home for the collection in sight.

loving Hussars.

e: but fr, as someone who has at various times worn both a busby (our pattern is the same as the Hussars) and the 1821 Light Cavalry sabre, I can tell you're a man after my own heart. Excellent post.

ee: Which regiment of British Hussars was it that ran over a German family's car during exercises? (I believe the Americans also did this twice in the 80's)

That's a shame-- I should've gone there before they closed it. I can see the same thing happening to the King's Royal Hussars museum tbh. I was in the museum for about 2 hours and I was literally the only person there, although it was a weekday. The museum looked like it was probably unchanged since about 2006. Not quite 'a museum which belongs in a museum' like Dylan Thomas said of Swansea Museum, but getting there. I think sooner or later the MoD will close the museums on this site and redevelop the site for flats, which is basically what's happened with the Royal Arsenal site. The neoliberal logic of selling assets like these and downsizing (or 'rightsizing' as liberals like to call it) will be unescapable to them. It may even pay for a few Ajax.

Thanks! They had a 1908 Pattern Cavalry Sword as well, and I remembered the discussion in this thread (I think) about it being the most effective cavalry sword ever made.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36iDltl_Xdg

The Panzerhaubitze 2000 is just the most German thing, I am really not surprised they broke down after a couple weeks.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Lol

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Ardennes posted:

The Panzerhaubitze 2000 is just the most German thing, I am really not surprised they broke down after a couple weeks.

lol why couldn’t they use a chain hoist for this?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lmao

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

soy fascism is so annoying

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Too cheap and it didn't give the engineers something to do

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Those star wars ships seemed so much bigger in the movies

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I ain't wasting over two minutes of my time on clicking that.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Blaisedell posted:

They had a 1908 Pattern Cavalry Sword as well, and I remembered the discussion in this thread (I think) about it being the most effective cavalry sword ever made.

It was truly a wonder, and came from experience in the Sudan.

The 1821 Light Cavalry sword is no good for the actual cut and thrust, and couldn't slash through the thick robes of the Mahdists, but it looks good on parade, so we still have them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Hth

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Ardennes posted:

quote:

After a couple of weeks of intensive use, the guns required repairs, and error messages were being displayed as they are designed and built to fire no more than 100 shots a day. Germany considers 100 shots per day "a high-intensity mission"

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
meanwhile the 2S19 msta just has a tube on the back you can feed a shell into

is it any wonder it's so much lighter (42 tons vs 56)

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Blaisedell posted:

So what's next for the King's Royal Hussars and British decline? How much further do we have to fall?
since their nation cant make steel anymore, maybe there is a chance theyll go back to horsies :horse:

Delta-Wye has issued a correction as of 23:30 on Mar 28, 2024

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Ardennes posted:

what in tarnation

rube goldberg rear end spg

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

:discourse:

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfbsZRbwbJ4

i think this is what they were looking for

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
https://twitter.com/1024t66y/status/1773722899515683208

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
why won't they launch missiles instead of someone's quadcopter drone?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You need to lock your aircraft carrier doors on that side of the planet.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

anti-drone weapons are some of the funniest miltech grift around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GPLsJ4FLuA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX0ji1sAXl8

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Marinetimes/status/1773000785984377205?t=aUrfWi1vMn2k3tIDrmkAIw&s=19

I don't think this is a problem that can be solved by best practices at the level of the individual soldier

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/Marinetimes/status/1773000785984377205?t=aUrfWi1vMn2k3tIDrmkAIw&s=19

I don't think this is a problem that can be solved by best practices at the level of the individual soldier

i know, they should reduce manning so that fewer warriors suffer from sleep deprivation!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

sleep deprived, problems to afford housing, a fifth do not have guarantees on food security, brain goes mush if you are in artillery, have to pay for a lot of poo poo out of their own pocket

gee I wonder why there is a recruitment problem

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

dead gay comedy forums posted:

sleep deprived, problems to afford housing, a fifth do not have guarantees on food security, brain goes mush if you are in artillery, have to pay for a lot of poo poo out of their own pocket

gee I wonder why there is a recruitment problem

hey buddy thats unfair. they also have lost every war theyve fought since ww2, and none of those wars were to protect america or americans in any way

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

:whitewater:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I once lived in a lovely rental house with all kinds of mold. Every night, my bronchii would get clogged up with garbage after being horizontal for a few hours. I'd wake up and do some deep hacking coughs for a few minutes. Very good for sleep!

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

quote:

AMERICA NEEDS A DEAD HAND MORE THAN EVER

https://warontherocks.com/2024/03/america-needs-a-dead-hand-more-than-ever/

In the minutes after a launch detection or nuclear detonation, would America’s nuclear command, control, and communications system enable the president to make a timely and accurate decision to retaliate? We do not know.

In a 2019 War on the Rocks article, “America Needs a ‘Dead Hand’,” we proposed the development of an artificial intelligence-enabled nuclear command, control, and communications system to partially address this concern.
This widening gap in capabilities only increases the coercive power Russia and China have to coerce the United States into backing down from aggression.

We can only conclude that America needs a dead hand system more than ever. Such a system would both detect an inbound attack more rapidly than the current system and allow the president to either manually direct forces to respond or automatically execute the president’s pre-selected response options — for a given scenario.
In short, the systems we suggest here are very specifically designed to increase the speed at which the United States can detect an adversary attack, speed the president’s ability to respond to an inbound strike, and ensure fielded forces receive the president’s orders. And, if necessary, the president can pre-program his desired response to a number of scenarios and allow the system, when on automatic, to match the strike detected with the president’s desired response.

I think I've figure out what sort of rocks they're talking about

Al! posted:

hey buddy thats unfair. they also have lost every war theyve fought since ww2, and none of those wars were to protect america or americans in any way

Oh yeah? What about the mighty nation of GRENADA!!!

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

How to fix sleep deprivation: send everyone home at 4:30 (or sooner, considering if you live off post you need to be on the road at loving 5:00 am to make it to pt) so people don't feel the urge to stay up late doing nonsense such as "leisure" or "spend time with families"

Also the solution to drones is fuzed AAA, but somehow this will be an inscrutable problem where they lean on goofy poo poo like that Anduril reusable jet-powered drones that cost ten times as much as their intended target

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Weka posted:

I think I've figure out what sort of rocks they're talking about

Oh yeah? What about the mighty nation of GRENADA!!!

Hey why not? There's certainly no instances in our history of human intervention preventing nuclear war over something dumb like a flock of geese being miss-identified as a nuclear attack.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It drives me crazy how you can’t talk about this stuff in real life. If you mention in conversation with friends or family that America is completely incapable of fighting a peer war, or that everything people in the west know about Ukraine comes from a Ukrainian-Canadian nazi conspiracy, at best they’ll just change the subject. Even on other sub forums on SA, if you say that the US military is having a recruiting crisis because autistic children are sexually fixated on wolves, they think you’re crazy!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

america will proclaim no tag backs after its initial bombing campaign and will thereby win ww3

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

frozenphil posted:

Hey why not? There's certainly no instances in our history of human intervention preventing nuclear war over something dumb like a flock of geese being miss-identified as a nuclear attack.

absolving the liberals of starting a nuclear war after implementing a buggy system due to inevitable cost-cutting is the point (see: installing dolphins around bridges vs "nothing better can happen")

the actual bug is when pvt schmuckatelli does not launch the nukes because the buggy rear end system is blaring the chinese spy balloon alarm on a flock of birds for the one-millionth time that week

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Justin Tyme posted:

Also the solution to drones is fuzed AAA, but somehow this will be an inscrutable problem where they lean on goofy poo poo like that Anduril reusable jet-powered drones that cost ten times as much as their intended target

I understand Russia is having a significant amount of success with various e-war tools. Like most things, multiple tools at once is the best.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Weka posted:

I understand Russia is having a significant amount of success with various e-war tools. Like most things, multiple tools at once is the best.

got a good source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

poisonpill posted:

got a good source?

r/eveonline