Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

burning down a listed building to replace it with lovely flats is a time honoured tradition :britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-armys-rapid-maneuver-may-be-over-2024-4

More people coming out against the whole "High speed low drag maneuver based army". Saying things in the future are going to look like WW1

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
It's turtle tank all the way down.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ianmacdo posted:

like I know c4 wont explode if set on fire, but doesn't it burn easily and really hot?

well, yeah, it's still a chemical fire which is rarely nice, but it won't make a hollywood explosion or anything

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I remember a Vietnam vet telling me they’d sometimes nick little bits of c4 off to use as fuel to heat their field rations with

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

stephenthinkpad posted:

It's turtle tank all the way down.

Hope they get crab claws going, two crab tanks locked in combat trying to flip one anther over would be amazeballs

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I remember a Vietnam vet telling me they’d sometimes nick little bits of c4 off to use as fuel to heat their field rations with

It caused a lot of cases of poisoning.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

nvm too late.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

BrotherJayne posted:

Hope they get crab claws going, two crab tanks locked in combat trying to flip one anther over would be amazeballs

like when big beetles start fighting, but if they weighed 10,000 pounds

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

tanks into combat construction equipment

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

imagine working on a government wage for a solid 40 a week to produce a narrative about americas inevitable triumph and your boss is like no thanks I’ll just grab that narrative for free

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Best Friends posted:

imagine working on a government wage for a solid 40 a week to produce a narrative about americas inevitable triumph and your boss is like no thanks I’ll just grab that narrative for free

Naw the whole point of open source intelligence is to launder that narrative that you spent 40 hours on through totally not CIA twitter accounts and poo poo and then your boss can produce reports that refer to the laundered narrative as if it wasn’t his own team that produced them.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

US intelligence may as well be an ouroboros of Twitter accounts to osint to institute for the study of war to government to twitter.

First shot of WW3 will be some previously no name senator saying that the same PRC carrier sunk and resurrected itself seven times.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Danann posted:

US intelligence may as well be an ouroboros of Twitter accounts to osint to institute for the study of war to government to twitter.

First shot of WW3 will be some previously no name senator saying that the same PRC carrier sunk and resurrected itself seven times.

It does seem that way to a degree looking at how Oryx data ended up in a Pentagon document. It very well may just be the result of "only wanting to hear good news" so some bit of information just keeps on getting recycled again and again in a feedback loop.

A PRC ship has oil fire, and ends up the Pentagon thinks an amphibious invasion would work because, clearly based on OSINT data, the PLAN doesn't exist; garbage in, garbage out, which is fed into the next cycle.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:12 on Apr 16, 2024

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i feel like at least one of the main reasons why the whole open source intelligence poo poo has become a thing is just cost-cutting

after all, why have actual employees analyzing actual intelligence when there's a good possibility that some internet nerd has bullshitted together a convenient conclusion for you already?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

i feel like at least one of the main reasons why the whole open source intelligence poo poo has become a thing is just cost-cutting

after all, why have actual employees analyzing actual intelligence when there's a good possibility that some internet nerd has bullshitted together a convenient conclusion for you already?

It probably ended up as a cost saving measure and a "genius way" to outsource intel work, and ultimately, you ended up with guys on the internet just telling their new bosses what they wanted to hear because there is no internal verification structure. Basically, what started as a way to brute force arguments on internet forums eventually weeded its way into a feedback loop where the state began to consume its own propaganda as intel.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Ardennes posted:

It probably ended up as a cost saving measure and a "genius way" to outsource intel work, and ultimately, you ended up with guys on the internet just telling their new bosses what they wanted to hear because there is no internal verification structure. Basically, what started as a way to brute force arguments on internet forums eventually weeded its way into a feedback loop where the state began to consume its own propaganda as intel.

thank you, somethingawful D&D forums

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Hubbert posted:

thank you, somethingawful D&D forums

It turned out to be the real anti-imperialist subforum after all.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

BrotherJayne posted:

SixteenShells posted:

like when big beetles start fighting, but if they weighed 10,000 pounds

corona familiar posted:

tanks into combat construction equipment

BCV: Battle Construction Vehicles

quote:

The story in this game revolves around the player settling construction site contracts through vehicular combat with various rival companies over the course of 16 levels. The player uses vehicles commonly found on construction sites like diggers and bulldozers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFBu_YRNL60

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
gently caress. gently caress!

what's the good ps2 emulator these days

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ardennes posted:

it also provides
1) a convenient level of plausible deniability and whitewashing around pre-ordained viewpoints by giving them a finger-length separation from their sources of funding, much like the NED is totally not a foreign affairs interference op within the US government because see it's not part of the government at all
2) the ability for specific actors within the state to selectively push their preferred conclusions on the government and media narrative without accountability because those conclusions are coming from osint actors not from us!! see, this totally* neutral** third party*** agrees with my position! nevermind where they got their funding and who i know in that office or think tank or foundation that is playing king-maker to the osint community

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

the developers of beamng.drive should remake this game

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

between this and RAD:Robot Alchemic Drive I'm wondering why nobody makes games out of bad ideas anymore, they're pretty sick

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

SixteenShells posted:

https://pcsx2.net/

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Flournival Dixon posted:

between this and RAD:Robot Alchemic Drive I'm wondering why nobody makes games out of bad ideas anymore, they're pretty sick

you need to look at the wide world of simulator games. there's some truly interesting garbage out there. this one comes to mind: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1750350/Sebil_Engineering/

also thanks, zetamind2000!

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Danann posted:

The Oldest Man posted:

it also provides
1) a convenient level of plausible deniability and whitewashing around pre-ordained viewpoints by giving them a finger-length separation from their sources of funding, much like the NED is totally not a foreign affairs interference op within the US government because see it's not part of the government at all
2) the ability for specific actors within the state to selectively push their preferred conclusions on the government and media narrative without accountability because those conclusions are coming from osint actors not from us!! see, this totally* neutral** third party*** agrees with my position! nevermind where they got their funding and who i know in that office or think tank or foundation that is playing king-maker to the osint community

it's like dick cheney feeding lines to the nyt "anonymously" just he can quote himself in a presser to justify the iraq war

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

SixteenShells posted:

There's more than PCSX2?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

KomradeX posted:

There's more than PCSX2?

I think I was thinking of GBA/DS emulators. I use them so infrequently that it felt like the best DS emulator changed every time I looked

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

KomradeX posted:

There's more than PCSX2?

Look you can get an android handheld like Odin2, RG556 or RP4P and play on Aethesx2

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

If a country can deploy enough ocean scouting drones it will be more difficult for foreign submarines to travel near their coast and remain undetected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbOueBTnS5w

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

If a country can deploy enough ocean scouting drones it will be more difficult for foreign submarines to travel near their coast and remain undetected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbOueBTnS5w

Can't you detect submarines in shallow water by a ridge in the water, with milliband radar?

At least I started to read a paper on that once, will try to find it again

E: yep, 1mm hump at 100m and 5 knots, 1cm at 50m and 20 knots.

So real good for the Taiwan straight

BrotherJayne has issued a correction as of 08:26 on Apr 17, 2024

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://x.com/CBSNews/status/1780360447494967376

going to be exciting when israeli planes that aren't capable of hitting targets inside iran without a pit-stop at a usaf tanker blow something up inside their borders and emperor biden claims he had no idea what prime minister harkonnen was up to

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The Oldest Man posted:

going to be exciting when israeli planes that aren't capable of hitting targets inside iran without a pit-stop at a usaf tanker blow something up inside their borders and emperor biden claims he had no idea what prime minister harkonnen was up to

i'm not sure if i can support a metaphor that makes KC-135 aircrews into sadukaar.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Anyway, some mildly interesting news in the Pacific.

So there are 5 carriers on the West Coast/Japan and 7 on the East Coast.

Of the 5 on the West Coast, one is deployed (Roosevelt) and one is going into a long term maintenance period (the Reagan), that gives you 3 backups.

However, 1 of them, the Nimitz, is at the end of its fuel cycle, and while there may be one more deployment in it at least, it is just an old ship. There is the Carl Vinson which is a bit younger, but just recently deployed at the end of 2023, and then the Lincoln.

So the news came out that the Carl Vinson is going to Rimpac 2024, which is a bit strange because the Lincoln should have gone at this point (or at least the Nimitz), not the Carl Vinson which relatively just got back to port. There was a fire on the Lincoln in 2022, and so it very well may be it still isn't fully up to speed and was recently just doing training flights.

So at this point, at least on the West Coast, it seems the US is trading 2 carriers back and forth, and even when the Nimitz gets replaced, it will be replaced by a Ford-Class which is probably going to need years to get fully up to speed as well.

The US has obviously has its East Coast carriers, but they got their own duties, and the transit time is just going to be longer and more complicated (especially with the situation now).

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:37 on Apr 17, 2024

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

The Oldest Man posted:

https://x.com/CBSNews/status/1780360447494967376

Which wouldn't even pass the sniff test, what else could they have possibly been doing, but the question would then be whether Iran is willing to keep trying strategic patience or whatever they call it with the US. I know that they are done with Israel, but who knows how far that extends

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Owlbear Camus posted:

i'm not sure if i can support a metaphor that makes KC-135 aircrews into sadukaar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPd3_nUnKK8

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

SixteenShells posted:

pcsx2 is the gold standard on windows at least

e:fb

Flournival Dixon posted:

Any company above the 'indy gaming' level believes they need to dump 7+ digits funding so nobody is willing to experiment outside of smaller groups? capitalism destroys all, be it the western world's armed forces or their major entertainment institutions

Kitfox88 has issued a correction as of 21:04 on Apr 17, 2024

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Owlbear Camus posted:

You mean the over-hyped imperial supersoldiers who got completely clowned by arabic hill people? :ironicat:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The Oldest Man posted:

You mean the over-hyped imperial supersoldiers who got completely clowned by arabic hill people? :ironicat:

yeah but the supersoldiers are like seals and stuff... who got completely clowned by arabic (and pashtun) hill people.

tanker crews just lay on their tummy and pass gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Weka posted:

It is not so much the damage to what I believe is America's only 155mm shell factory but what it says about the quality of said factory. Although the damage is nice too.

it's a testament to my faith in the strength of American institutions that my brain read

quote:

Firefighters quickly knocked down the flames shortly after arriving.

as

quote:

Firefighters quickly knocked down the building shortly after arriving.

and just thought "yea that sounds about right"