Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
The Fremen are Caucasian

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/the-secret-history-of-dune/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Didn't Herbert basically make up a pastiche language that borrowed primarily from Arabic and then call it Chakobsa intead of using the genuine article?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
he made a future world where armies did knife fights pressumanly because he thought west side story was really cool

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

he watched a very early release of the chronicles of riddick and went "nice"

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The Voice of Labor posted:

he made a future world where armies did knife fights pressumanly because he thought west side story was really cool

West Side Story was really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9parcca_7k

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

The Voice of Labor posted:

But what about zip guns? we bringin’ zip guns to the rumble?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
slow pellet zip guns

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/starsandstripes/status/1780945626286686370

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

They're going to spend more on PR than actually building new barracks without mold, just watch.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

They're going to spend more on PR than actually building _____, just watch.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

an army of fun! cmon kids, free Xbox if you enlist!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“we need better pr” is the exclusive response yes

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Tempora Mutantur posted:

an army of fun! cmon kids, free Xbox if you enlist!

When I was 18 a recruiter literally told me they would buy me a keg of beer if I enlisted, and "you don't even have to show up, just sign the papers, I'll get you a keg, and then you can just not show up and they won't care".

I wonder what happened to that guy, he's probably an officer now.

e: this memory triggers me to remember that one of the only things I actually got punched for in High School was barking "FEED THE WAR MACHINE!" into the faces of some marines that were standing around with recruiting poo poo. Of course, the marines ignored me and were super stoic about it and used to cheeky cringe from edgelord teenagers. Some kid who had a brother in the marines felt a need to get himself suspended punching me over this, lol.

I wonder what the current crop of teens do to troll army recruiters, they seem generally funnier than I ever was.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 15:38 on Apr 18, 2024

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I remember when I went home on leave and stopped in the dissembling recruiter's office to fax something he had lost a stripe lol.

The US military has a program called "recruiter assistance" where they take people fresh out of basic and send them back to their home town to help pitch the military with personal testimonials.

Even as a kid this always seemed sleazy, of course the guy who just did the 12 week indoctrination is gonna give a glowing review; let me hear from the salty nco missing both legs and an arm.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Owlbear Camus posted:

The US military has a program called "recruiter assistance" where they take people fresh out of basic and send them back to their home town to help pitch the military with personal testimonials.

the recruiter who offered me a keg had graduated from the same high school I was in at the time, a year earlier. Almost certainly the same program, if it existed in the late 90s.

They don't get the best and brightest. Up until then I had thought of the guy as "Nikki's dumb, bullying older brother" so him turning into a fash mouthpiece was like the most obvious thing ever. Also, dude, if you're gonna make me an obviously suspect offer of free beer you should probably remember you're the same guy that used to call me names and hit me for no reason and I'm probably not buying whatever you're selling?

I know a couple people who signed up during that era, and, SURPRISE THEY ALL GOT SENT TO IRAQ AND AT LEAST A COUPLE OF THEM ARE BROKEN IN WEIRD WAYS NOW. Shocking, right?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/mercoglianos/status/1780978248244924706

3 out of 5 ships for the special aid operation in Gaza out of action and it's not even wartime.

US should learn to build ships instead of complaining about Chinese shipbuilding.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The ships assigned to Gaza aid suddenly breaking down and being delayed is the least surprising thing to ever happen, and not just because the US can't maintain its ships

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

If a country can deploy enough ocean scouting drones it will be more difficult for foreign submarines to travel near their coast and remain undetected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbOueBTnS5w

the thing is, even assuming that this stuff works perfectly, the submarines you really need to worry about aren't gonna be anywhere near your coasts

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Yeah, good to fair chance Biden promised this to the Israelis.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The current American political class only understands messaging. Material reality doesn't exist. This is why covid confused the gently caress out of them because it was the first time the country had been confronted by a serious material problem that couldn't be entirely solved through messaging in decades. Wars are abroad and economic downturns can just be managed through the media, but suddenly here was something in everyone's face. For a little while the US had to actually spend money on solutions (vaccine dev, ubi, testing kits, masks, etc) instead of consultants. There was lots of graft, but not the usual level of 'oops all graft'. People got actual cash money and real things were produced in a timeline not counted in decades.

Of course, once the problem was sufficiently reduced to no longer be dire then all that real poo poo was thrown out to focus on messaging. Just get your fauci ouchi we can't let the cure be worse than the disease covid is over!

This is why I doubt the response to Ansar sinking a carrier would be anything real like going to war properly, drafting civilians, massive mobilization, etc. You can ignore a few thousand dead sailors as it happened elsewhere. They just have to figure out the PR spin that aligns with their current goals and will definitely use it to funnel more money into MIC graft, but proper warfare is too real and full of tedious material complications for them to bother with if they don't have to.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"The USS Ford was lost today with all hands due to a mishap that occurred during routine training."

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

Of course, once the problem was sufficiently reduced to no longer be dire then all that real poo poo was thrown out to focus on messaging.

fyi "doesn't the air smell sweeter without our masks" was happening in like April 2021 a couple weeks before the Delta variant caused India to run out of firewood for the funeral pyres, and all of that came before Omicron appeared and totally hosed Us Up; never underestimate the neoliberal drive to try to propagandize a problem out of the public eye even as it heaps bodies up to the sky

FuzzySlippers posted:

This is why I doubt the response to Ansar sinking a carrier would be anything real like going to war properly, drafting civilians, massive mobilization, etc. You can ignore a few thousand dead sailors as it happened elsewhere. They just have to figure out the PR spin that aligns with their current goals and will definitely use it to funnel more money into MIC graft, but proper warfare is too real and full of tedious material complications for them to bother with if they don't have to.

conclusion still correct tho

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

FuzzySlippers posted:

The current American political class only understands messaging. Material reality doesn't exist. This is why covid confused the gently caress out of them because it was the first time the country had been confronted by a serious material problem that couldn't be entirely solved through messaging in decades. Wars are abroad and economic downturns can just be managed through the media, but suddenly here was something in everyone's face. For a little while the US had to actually spend money on solutions (vaccine dev, ubi, testing kits, masks, etc) instead of consultants. There was lots of graft, but not the usual level of 'oops all graft'. People got actual cash money and real things were produced in a timeline not counted in decades.

Of course, once the problem was sufficiently reduced to no longer be dire then all that real poo poo was thrown out to focus on messaging. Just get your fauci ouchi we can't let the cure be worse than the disease covid is over!

X-posting evidence of how insane and depraved they are from the Ukraine thread

Facehammer posted:

Some gammony old oval office was briefly in the news a few weeks ago for suggesting that the British public could be made more amenable to conscription if it included reducing our student loans.

Not cancelling them; only knocking a few percent off.

It's an offer so insulting I'm sure it could only encourage people to sign up and fight for the other side.

They've changed Commonwealth enlistment, or even taking a commission, in the British military so that you can't bring your family with you, even when you've finished training and are in garrison.

I don't know why the Brits are traumatized by Windrush or whatever, but this is just... a betrayal of everything the CW is supposed to stand for.

Come back to the Old Sod to fight for King and Mother Country! Also, you're not really British, your family can't come. In short, you're basically unwelcome, but technically we share a King so we have to let you take this shilling. Now gently caress off back to Ruga Ruga Land or wherever you're from Askari.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Owlbear Camus posted:

I remember when I went home on leave and stopped in the dissembling recruiter's office to fax something he had lost a stripe lol.

Even as a kid this always seemed sleazy, of course the guy who just did the 12 week indoctrination is gonna give a glowing review; let me hear from the salty nco missing both legs and an arm.

The army calls it "hometown recruiter". Ostensibly you work with the recruiters for 1 week going to local schools and telling the students how awesome the army is and then get 3 weeks of free vacation before heading to your first duty station. What happened to myself and everyone else I know is when you go to your first duty station after doing hometown recruiter they demand your original paperwork, immediately lose your paperwork, and then stick you in the hole for 3 weeks of vacation which takes a year to earn back. Welcome to the army, kid, Enjoy not taking any time off for over a year.
I was told to wear my uniform during hometown recruiter when we went to high schools, but got yelled at for wearing it when we went to the local community colleges. As if my street clothes would fool the students to our purpose.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

FuzzySlippers posted:

They outright couldn’t do it because the American people wouldn’t go along with it. Not even out of any moral epiphany and sudden attaining of class consciousness. The social contract has just degraded that much. Even during Vietnam when society and community still somewhat existed they couldn’t keep up the draft for a “minor” conflict, much less a war against a peer power. It would take an actual no poo poo full scale invasion of the mainland United States to make anyone seriously consider making the sacrifices a “real” war entails.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

fyi "doesn't the air smell sweeter without our masks" was happening in like April 2021 a couple weeks before the Delta variant caused India to run out of firewood for the funeral pyres, and all of that came before Omicron appeared and totally hosed Us Up; never underestimate the neoliberal drive to try to propagandize a problem out of the public eye even as it heaps bodies up to the sky

by 2021 they had vaccines and Trump was defeated so it wasn’t dire to them anymore. A few million more people dying was nbd since they knew society wouldn’t collapse and the people dying would mostly be ones no one of significance cares about. I was in and out of hospitals with my parents so those were still overrun war zone hellscapes (they aren’t much better now) but it was pushed down enough for the media to ignore. Enough the media could convince some regular people to disbelieve their lying eyes.

Now 2020 had people scared in a way few living Americans ever had before. Even before the riots there was fear this whole shaky mess could collapse. Hence for once America just spent money on actually doing things. Nothing on the scale of what China did, but it wasn’t just financial crimes and apps either.

Maybe the last rattling death fart of a superpower

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

COVID was over the moment the rich worked out it was survivable with enough medical care, even before the vaccine. As soon as it was clear it was a poor people disease the 'get back to work' narrative kicked into full gear

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

israel seems to have attacked 3 countries just now

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This one feels bad

Like it all feels bad but this feels really loving bad

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Nix Panicus posted:

COVID was over the moment the rich worked out it was survivable with enough medical care, even before the vaccine. As soon as it was clear it was a poor people disease the 'get back to work' narrative kicked into full gear

eyup

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

FuzzySlippers posted:

Now 2020 had people scared in a way few living Americans ever had before. Even before the riots there was fear this whole shaky mess could collapse. Hence for once America just spent money on actually doing things. Nothing on the scale of what China did, but it wasn’t just financial crimes and apps either.

The degree to which blank checks were handed out and regulations were waived to get a passable vaccine was breathtaking. I've spent my entire adult life in biotechnology and I had never seen anything like it.

The fact that the entire effort has been memory holed makes me shriek like the joker

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yeah that was right around when trump got it

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Nothus posted:

The degree to which blank checks were handed out and regulations were waived to get a passable vaccine was breathtaking. I've spent my entire adult life in biotechnology and I had never seen anything like it.

The fact that the entire effort has been memory holed makes me shriek like the joker

tromp

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Nothus posted:

lmao that Pfizer refused to admit they had a vaccine until *after* the election. Trump was played like a chump

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

I really hope this thread's title isn't about to change imminently.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

I really hope this thread's title isn't about to change imminently.

to lost? why not

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the only update to the title that i'll brook is "work is cancelled"

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
*president xi on v day*

americans, too long you have toiled to enrich your capitalist masters. from this day forth you will toil to make reparations for all the evil poo poo your country's done

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Nix Panicus posted:

lmao that Pfizer refused to admit they had a vaccine until *after* the election. Trump was played like a chump

It's really funny to me that legit the best thing to come out of the Trump administration was the vaccines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

FuzzySlippers posted:

The lesson from 9/11 to covid, when covid was putting up daily 9/11 deaths during the 9/11 memorials and no one was giving a poo poo. Is that lives didn't matter, property and the stock market do.

Sinking a carrier would cost a lot of money, so people would freak out. Just killing all those sailors without hurting the boat would be no big deal.

Grease up some ladders over the side of a Navy ship and let then all follow each other into the water like those special forces dudes. Maybe with a banana peel on deck to get the chain reaction started.