Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Games Workshop is a bad example because they literally closed Forge World last year.

Anyway the YouTube gun guy had another bad take

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL-dLeWvbss

hehe, he calls it a service product instead of service weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Games Workshop is a bad example because they literally closed Forge World last year.

Anyway the YouTube gun guy had another bad take

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL-dLeWvbss

the m14 sucked so bad that even the australians didnt adopt it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, the M14 sucked beyond its manufacturing issues, it was a huge, heavy gun that clearly was the result of trying to jam into automatic capability into an M1. Even if you are talking about trench warfare ala the Korean War, the Chinese and North Koreans were using plenty of SMGs even if they couldn't get their hands on AKs and the future was clearly forward small and lighter rifles that could also be automatic rather than full battle rifles.

Also, it seems like having a significant portion of the action on the outside of the gun probably wasn't going to be that useful in adverse conditions including frost. The m16 was absolutely a better gun even though it too needed to be fixed.

The M14 is acceptable as a DMR but that is kind of it.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

I basically read several pages worth of this on the Project Owl Discord, because I'm an idiot and was looking for some new information on the Iraqi PMF strikes there.

350 billion in investment hasn't resulted in a functional deterrent in 50 years, and missiles remain cheaper than interceptors.... So we're gonna keep paying Lockhead to develop interceptors. We can't produce basic munitions for a peer conflict right now but we're still full throttle on wunderwaffe.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

big dong wanter posted:

the m14 sucked so bad that even the australians didnt adopt it.

Good. Because using the same rifle as the rest of the Commonwealth should have been common sense for the Yankeephile Aussies.

e: Maybe Americans just don't understand, but because of Canada's gun laws, the Norinco M305/M14S was one of the most popular, I think the most popular rifle here, for decades - until an RCMP informant went on a rampage and Trudeau banned it. There were so many parts, gunsmiths who could fine tune them, really innovative stuff was happening here.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 12:37 on Apr 20, 2024

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I am noticing a trend of articles reassuring the public that Chinese military tech is just outdated copies, everything is fine, the occident patriots are in charge over the backward opium-addled orientals. Most recently I found this article claiming that the chinese WZ-8 unmanned drone is a "copy" of the US D-21 from 50 years ago.

https://www.businessinsider.com/chi...ign=business-sf

Tellingly they never show a don't show a picture of the Chinese drone until 3/4 of the article and never show what you'd expect in an article making this claim: a side-by-side of their silhouettes.

I guess they uh... both kind of taper to a point in the nose? They don't even have the same propulsion system.

Of course credulous boomers were commenting on the article about a Temu army and that we should just whip them with our superior might, and russia while we're at it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
1. everyone copies everyone so it doesn't really matter, and 2. even if they take design elements, it doesn't really mean it is a "copy."

Look at the "J-31" which is suppose to be "an exact copy" of the F-35 when its profile is radically different and it has a 2 engine design configuration. If anything the J-31 is more aerodynamic because it is a 5th gen jet not designed around a huge VTOL system. That is just the physical design of the plane itself.

Did they look at the F-35/F-22 when designing it, probably, and then they did their own thing because there are clear flaws with both fighters.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:22 on Apr 20, 2024

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
there's also the fact that as you optimize for a certain trait, different starting designs will converge.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Dixon Chisholm posted:

there's also the fact that as you optimize for a certain trait, different starting designs will converge.

yeah the soviet space shuttle looked exactly like the american piece of poo poo shuttle because thats just what was aerodynamically required to be a space plane and survive re-entry

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

convergent evolution ftw

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I bet your jet has wings and an engine. How derivative.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Did they look at the F-35/F-22 when designing it, probably, and then they did their own thing because there are clear flaws with both fighters.

Specifically I remember reading defense articles years ago about how the US expected copy cat designs for their latest fighter and when they came up with their own design it scared them a whole lot more.

And then the US expects the chinese counterparts to get more flight hours every month for training and their poo poo isnt breaking every few months like the US , there is palpable panic in certain circles.

Cao Ni Ma has issued a correction as of 15:19 on Apr 20, 2024

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Owlbear Camus posted:

I guess they uh... both kind of taper to a point in the nose? They don't even have the same propulsion system.
lol

at first glance, the top one looks like a high altitude drone, the bottom one is i imagine a hypersonic/suborbital glider?

but yeah, same thing really i guess. no difference between a p-51 and a me-163 if you really think about it, both have a propeller up front

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2024/04/19/us-troops-niger/

The US is fleeing from Niger, this comes a day after Chad told them to pack up and leave as well.

E- you know the western media is going try to frame this as the evil military autocrats when there is broad support from the people in the region to kick out colonial forces

Cao Ni Ma has issued a correction as of 15:27 on Apr 20, 2024

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Specifically I remember reading defense articles years ago about how the US expected copy cat designs for their latest fighter and when they came up with their own design it scared them a whole lot more.

And then the US expects the chinese counterparts to get more flight hours every month for training and their poo poo isnt breaking every few months like the US , there is palpable panic in certain circles.

Yeah, and honestly, at least in terms of specs and its profile, the J-31 may more aerodynamic, faster, and more maneuverable as well than the f-35. The F-22 is on its last legs as well, they are getting rid of 32 early production models this year.

----

News from Chad is a pretty big deal since it follows the election of a government more hostile to France in Senegal and the Central African Republic offered the Russians space for a base. It seems like the post-coup government in Gabon is also warming to the Russians as well.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yeah the soviet space shuttle looked exactly like the american piece of poo poo shuttle because thats just what was aerodynamically required to be a space plane and survive re-entry
the space shuttle was about 60% longer and 500% more of a deathtrap to lift the same weight payload the buran had a launch escape system, could fly autonomously and didn't use solid rockets to launch which are what exploded the challenger

space planes have no real use for earth orbital flight and the ussr knew this but wanted to be sure they weren't missing out on a critical capability which is the whole reason then developed it then a roof feel on it and destroyed it, loving giant waste of time and money lol

oviets smoked the west with space if you compare relative financial/academic resources to throw at things
they tended to follow better design principles from the start but then didn't have the resources to test and develop as much and they didn't get to the finish line first on a lot of things but imo their program would've come out ahead if the space race didn't end when it did

FirstnameLastname has issued a correction as of 16:22 on Apr 20, 2024

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Ardennes posted:

The M14 is acceptable as a DMR but that is kind of it.

I wouldn't really call it "acceptable" as a dmr considering the amount of work it takes to get it there and keep it there, the army just made the m21 because they had a bunch of m14s laying around collecting dust (bc they sucked)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i will hear no slander against my favorite gun from cod4

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say also it is just also the result of the Kremlin being asleep at the wheel even before Gorbachev. It wasn't that they didn't have good scientists and engineers who did great work but there didn't seem any real urge to rapidly redirect capital until there was a crisis.

Also, the Kremlin constantly invested into "super-projects" to compete if not over-compete with the US while neglecting quite a bit back home. Honestly, they could have probably gotten away with something far more simple than an entire space plane, they didn't need laser equipped satellites (this happened btw), and a lot of the more outlandish stuff probably should have been shelved. Obviously, there are core technologies that needed to be preserved and developed but there is an honest question what the Kremlin was thinking by letting much of the bloc countries join GATT or get indebt to the Paris Club well before the liberals came to power.

Westerners usually overplay how bad things were and how stupid/evil etc the Soviets were even during the 1970s, but the Brezhnev malaise was real thing. It wasn't that people were starving, but there was immense passivity in terms of investment.

Justin Tyme posted:

I wouldn't really call it "acceptable" as a dmr considering the amount of work it takes to get it there and keep it there, the army just made the m21 because they had a bunch of m14s laying around collecting dust (bc they sucked)

At least it can do that job, but as a useful service rifle (at least post-1945), not really. Basically, the Springfield arsenal had a rifle that worked (the M1) which was fine for its fine but rapidly becoming obsolete and rather than designing something from scratch like Stoner, they just kept on screwing with the M1. The AK just had already made it obsolete, and the AKM only more so.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:34 on Apr 20, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Justin Tyme posted:

Listen, I wish the government prohibited the M14 and not the FAL, since the C1 was God's gift to the rifleman, but for whatever reason the M14 had longer legs than the FAL or G3, both of which I think were technically better rifles. Is there any particular reason for that?

e: Gun Nerds:

I have read that the Italian BM 59 was better than the M14, but they look literally the same to me. Can someone explain the differences, the how's and why's, because, just looking at it, idgi.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Listen, I wish the government prohibited the M14 and not the FAL, since the C1 was God's gift to the rifleman, but for whatever reason the M14 had longer legs than the FAL or G3, both of which I think were technically better rifles. Is there any particular reason for that?

e: Gun Nerds:

I have read that the Italian BM 59 was better than the M14, but they look literally the same to me. Can someone explain the differences, the how's and why's, because, just looking at it, idgi.

Isn't the G3 still in service in some countries?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Justin Tyme posted:

My understanding is that it's a perfectly good, fantastically well engineered rifle, but like the HK21 and HK33, the roller delayed blowback thing (German engineering) requires the rifles to be finely tuned by armourers over time, including for each type of ammunition, and that's why they've fallen out of use.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Justin Tyme posted:

In Turkey they still use it. it has a reputation for being heavy.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

Yeah I have one + an original hensoldt claw mount scope, it is an absolute boat anchor of a firearm and has punishing recoil for being so heavy

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

mawarannahr posted:

Smh they don't make Turks the way they used to

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Danann posted:

greatest burger brains think it's not a factor in submarine survivability there

If I was an American Admiral I would be a bit concerned about the fact that the Houthis managed to force an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer to use it's CIWS to shoot down one of their missiles. If one of the poorest countries in the world can use their limited resources and Iranian help to do that it would be scary to imagine a full on attack by an industrial superpower like China.

Of course I'm sure that the Americans are watching this situation closely and learning all the right lessons. Now I'll simply confirm this by checking navytimes.com:

I see. Any day now I guess...

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

My understanding is that it's a perfectly good, fantastically well engineered rifle, but like the HK21 and HK33, the roller delayed blowback thing (German engineering) requires the rifles to be finely tuned by armourers over time, including for each type of ammunition, and that's why they've fallen out of use.

I was about to post an image of Pacino from Heat before I realised that was an FN FNC and my memory was being dodgy.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Western iterative design vs Oriental insectoid mindless imitation

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
The battle rifle in general was a stupid idea. The subgun always made more sense for grunts and the idea of a full auto 308 that people carry around is just loving daft. Post ww2 it's only really a thing because the us military was drinking gallons of paint

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

FuzzySlippers posted:

Western iterative design vs Oriental insectoid mindless imitation

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

how the gently caress do you print that boat picture in that orientation? bush league work

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

big dong wanter posted:

The battle rifle in general was a stupid idea. The subgun always made more sense for grunts and the idea of a full auto 308 that people carry around is just loving daft. Post ww2 it's only really a thing because the us military was drinking gallons of paint

ar-10s are good guns, fals and g3s are fine. it's not an inherently bad idea, the m14 just sucks

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Guys, guys. Check out this new AR for the US Army made by SIG...

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Guys, guys. Check out this new AR for the US Army made by SIG...

great example of another weapon made to fix a problem that already had a solution. it stemmed from soldiers in Afghanistan engaging targets at distances that the 5.56 isn't designed for, plus there were concerns about the performance of common ammo (like the 5.56 and 7.62 NATO) against enemies wearing modern body armor (y'know, Chinese and Russian infantry), so the Army came up with the NGSW program and the result is the SIG MCS SPEAR/XM7, firing the .277 Fury/6.8x51mm cartridge (which has a three-piece case that's partially steel to handle the insane chamber pressures). problem solved!

except why not modify the 7.62 NATO to fit your needs? they're dimensionally similar!

did I mention the XM7 comes with a suppressor because it's loud as gently caress and the barrel life is questionable due to those pressures

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

rudecyrus posted:

great example of another weapon made to fix a problem that already had a solution. it stemmed from soldiers in Afghanistan engaging targets at distances that the 5.56 isn't designed for, plus there were concerns about the performance of common ammo (like the 5.56 and 7.62 NATO) against enemies wearing modern body armor (y'know, Chinese and Russian infantry), so the Army came up with the NGSW program and the result is the SIG MCS SPEAR/XM7, firing the .277 Fury/6.8x51mm cartridge (which has a three-piece case that's partially steel to handle the insane chamber pressures). problem solved!

except why not modify the 7.62 NATO to fit your needs? they're dimensionally similar!

did I mention the XM7 comes with a suppressor because it's loud as gently caress and the barrel life is questionable due to those pressures

because is there anything that MIC doesn't do that doesn't sum up to "there's not enough grift"

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

rudecyrus posted:

doesn't the suppressor also need some proprietary fluid that needs constantly refilling?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

also proprietary ammo

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

sig probably wanted to do a nonstandard proprietary pistol cartridge for the m17 as well but realized no matter how good they bribed the generals that might be a little too cute

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

rudecyrus posted:

I feel like this problem could have been solved by having a designated marksman with a long range rifle in each squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

BearsBearsBears posted:

I feel like this problem could have been solved by having a designated marksman with a long range rifle in each squad.

china handles it by means of explosives

your bog standard rifle squad carries a 120mm rocket launcher and a 35mm rotary automatic grenade launcher, as well as the usual SAW and rifles

the 120mm pf-98 has twice the effective range of the western carl gustaf and packs 4x the explosive

their grenade launchers are high-velocity weapons, so those 35mms can reach out twice as far as man-portable western 40mm launchers

meanwhile your bog standard US rifle squad doesn't carry a rocket launcher of any sort, and has two single shot M320 40mm together with the SAW and rifles

the rifle platoon for both has three such squads. the us rifle platoon will also have two anti-armor teams each with a javelin. the us rifle company will have two 60mm mortar sections.

the chinese platoon has two 60mm mortar sections each and two additional 35mm grenade launcher sections each

but sure some rifles that shoot longer for five minutes before breaking and needing to be sent back to SIG for maintenance will make the superior combat force and they definitely won't lose ww3

(the firepower disparity gets even more lopsided at the company/battallion/brigade/etc level)

atelier morgan has issued a correction as of 04:31 on Apr 21, 2024