Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Gripweed posted:

It drives me crazy how you can’t talk about this stuff in real life. If you mention in conversation with friends or family that America is completely incapable of fighting a peer war, or that everything people in the west know about Ukraine comes from a Ukrainian-Canadian nazi conspiracy, at best they’ll just change the subject. Even on other sub forums on SA, if you say that the US military is having a recruiting crisis because autistic children are sexually fixated on wolves, they think you’re crazy!

You can see how this is a problem at the ole 9-5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

poisonpill posted:

got a good source?

quite a few articles in wapo mentioning it in passing iirc, just google the keywords

e: oh heres a recent one from nyt

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Gripweed posted:

Even on other sub forums on SA, if you say that the US military is having a recruiting crisis because autistic children are sexually fixated on wolves, they think you’re crazy!

What?

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Gripweed posted:

It drives me crazy how you can’t talk about this stuff in real life. If you mention in conversation with friends or family that America is completely incapable of fighting a peer war, or that everything people in the west know about Ukraine comes from a Ukrainian-Canadian nazi conspiracy, at best they’ll just change the subject. Even on other sub forums on SA, if you say that the US military is having a recruiting crisis because autistic children are sexually fixated on wolves, they think you’re crazy!

He's being absurd, the problem is Americans not being able or willing to fight an actual war not the sexual fixation with wolves. The turkic people exist because a boy was sexually fixated on a wolf and their children founded multiple nomadic empires. Even today Turkey is certainly a near-peer to the US and honestly I'm not sure in which direction it's a near-peer.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
awooooooo~!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The US will lose World War Three Wolf Moon

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
inside your military-industrial complex there are two wolves

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Having harmless furry tattoos is better than having Nazi tattoos

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Oldest Man posted:

ff what do you think about towed artillery being done forever and replaced with autonomous robot spgs

hard agree, i think Ukraine has proved that any fixed firebase now and in the future will be hunted down by ordered-on-Amazon drones with old mortar bombs taped to them

everything from 155s to like 60mm mortars needs to be on wheels now

we need a computer-laid rocket artillery system that's road mobile, somewhere around 100-120mm, optionally with smart warheads, that can be loaded by infantry and by a specialized vehicle for more intensive missions.

So Hawkeye 105mm with the largest charge can reach out 17.5km/10.9 mi and with rocket assistance, 19.5 km/12.1 mi. A 🇿🇦 Valkiri 127mm MRLS system meanwhile has a range of 36 km (22 mi); a Serbian 128mm system has smart long-range projectiles up to 50 km (31 mi).

One advantage rocket artillery has over conventional artillery is rapidly saturating a target and being a much lighter system for road vehicles. Conventional artillery is cheaper and easier for regular people to handle for sustained fire.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

Having harmless furry tattoos is better than having Nazi tattoos

sometimes its both!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There was a strange derail a few pages back

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cerebral Bore posted:

inside your military-industrial complex there are two wolves

wolves get your tax, arisen!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Real hurthling! posted:

wolves get your tax, arisen!

:lol:

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/Marinetimes/status/1773000785984377205?t=aUrfWi1vMn2k3tIDrmkAIw&s=19

I don't think this is a problem that can be solved by best practices at the level of the individual soldier

Wake up people! Go back to sleep

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/Marinetimes/status/1773000785984377205?t=aUrfWi1vMn2k3tIDrmkAIw&s=19

I don't think this is a problem that can be solved by best practices at the level of the individual soldier

more proof that the US military's gotten too woke

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

poisonpill posted:

more proof that the US military's gotten too woke

Heh

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

neoliberal rot means they're reliant on the failing adderall supply chain and can't cook their own

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

BearsBearsBears posted:

He's being absurd, the problem is Americans not being able or willing to fight an actual war not the sexual fixation with wolves. The turkic people exist because a boy was sexually fixated on a wolf and their children founded multiple nomadic empires. Even today Turkey is certainly a near-peer to the US and honestly I'm not sure in which direction it's a near-peer.

Additionally, if you have any other questions on this topic, please refer to the origin myth of the Roman Empire.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Romulus-and-Remus posted:

Romulus and Remus suckling a she-wolf on the bank of the Tiber River (foreground) and being handed to Acca Larentia by Faustulus (background), detail of an illuminated manuscript page from the Romuléon by Benvenuto da Imola, 1480; in the British Library, London.

Romulus and Remus, the legendary founders of Rome. Traditionally, they were the sons of Rhea Silvia, daughter of Numitor, king of Alba Longa.

Numitor had been deposed by his younger brother Amulius, who forced Rhea to become one of the Vestal Virgins (and thereby vow chastity) in order to prevent her from giving birth to potential claimants to the throne. Nevertheless, Rhea bore the twins Romulus and Remus, fathered by the war god Mars. Amulius ordered the infants drowned in the Tiber River, but the trough in which they were placed floated down the river and came to rest at the site of the future Rome, near the Ficus ruminalis, a sacred fig tree of historical times. There a she-wolf and a woodpecker—both sacred to Mars—suckled and fed them until they were found by the herdsman Faustulus. [...]

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
if cia funded provocateurs intensify their attacks on concert halls, parades and other civilian getherings, vicotry will surely be ours

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

gradenko_2000 posted:

hard agree, i think Ukraine has proved that any fixed firebase now and in the future will be hunted down by ordered-on-Amazon drones with old mortar bombs taped to them

I'm just glad that I'm not one of the officers that has to figure out how you organise a war where any concentration of troops and equipment can be hit at any time, not just on the front lines.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

This has been the situation since 1914, you guys are being ridiculous.

"Oh no! The enemy might shoot back and strike with firepower the way we do! Whatever will we do?"

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Fixed artillery has been at risk of being blown up at range since the advent of... artillery.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

bobtheconqueror posted:

Fixed artillery has been at risk of being blown up at range since the advent of... artillery.

Exactly.

Artillery crews are supposed to be able to withstand heavy casualties and stand by the guns, but nobody wants to go down colours flying anymore :(

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
"towed guns are cope and obsolete old man!" I yell, as a thousand D-20's crater my position like the surface of the moon

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I would simply have more towed guns than the enemy and maybe intersperse them with some kind of other towed artillery that shoots really tiny shells, perhaps with some kind of timed fuse

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Exactly.

Artillery crews are supposed to be able to withstand heavy casualties and stand by the guns, but nobody wants to go down colours flying anymore :(

name an extant country worth dying for.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Dixon Chisholm posted:

maybe Cuba idk

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Anyway drones clearly don't have a problem hitting vehicles as well. SPGs are useful clearly, but it is also about the amount of firepower you are going to be able to project toward the enemy. If you give up your towed artillery, you give up a significant degree of that firepower.

Anyway, the proper response to drones isn't to try and run away but beef up EW and local AD capabilities.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I for one think it would be very good for the US to replace their existing towed howitzers with fantasy projects that will never get made, and I would like to encourage them to do it.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

gradenko_2000 posted:

everything from 155s to like 60mm mortars needs to be on wheels now

we need a computer-laid rocket artillery system that's road mobile, somewhere around 100-120mm, optionally with smart warheads, that can be loaded by infantry and by a specialized vehicle for more intensive missions.

So Hawkeye 105mm with the largest charge can reach out 17.5km/10.9 mi and with rocket assistance, 19.5 km/12.1 mi. A 🇿🇦 Valkiri 127mm MRLS system meanwhile has a range of 36 km (22 mi); a Serbian 128mm system has smart long-range projectiles up to 50 km (31 mi).

One advantage rocket artillery has over conventional artillery is rapidly saturating a target and being a much lighter system for road vehicles. Conventional artillery is cheaper and easier for regular people to handle for sustained fire.

an assembly line for towed artillery will always be smaller and less resource intensive compared to a line for sp artillery so when scaled up the towed artillery is always going to have the highest potential volume of fire per cost to manufacture

not even factoring in maintenance etc.

rocket artillery can concentrate fire in larger bursts and from further away but it's basically converting the labor/resources that would yield a larger overall amount of firepower across a larger timespan, and compressing/packaging it for specific use, rockets are burstier and have better packaging but they'll never be more economical because each shot fired has its own engine, fuel, guidance computers so across the span of an industrial war they'll always be relegated to a situational tool

if towed artillery actually went extinct it would be from something that made standard rifles extinct too bc they both fit in their niche for economic reasons more than anything, using all self propelled artillery or rockey artillery is a "why don't they build the whole plane out of the black box?" kinda thing

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I for one think it would be very good for the US to replace their existing towed howitzers with fantasy projects that will never get made, and I would like to encourage them to do it.

I would rather have infrastructure and health care and education. the fantasy weapons won't get made either way

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

:hmmyes:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Dixon Chisholm posted:

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

The Voice of Labor posted:

I would rather have infrastructure and health care and education. the fantasy weapons won't get made either way

you're not getting infrastructure, healthcare or proper education either way

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

The Voice of Labor posted:

fantasy infrastructure and health care and education

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
i tried figuring out motor, chip and pcb production figures because i have a hunch the fpv drone proliferation situation wouldn't scale to a conflict larger than ukraine when civilian electronics markets can't supply you but holy poo poo is the electronics market capital-brained to the point where i'm having a hell of a time finding output in material terms rather than dollar terms

that and search engines are worthless ofc

e: i did find a little bit of us will lose ww3 in the attempt as it sure seems like the us department of commerce only uses dollars to define the size of the electronics companies supplying the us military

atelier morgan has issued a correction as of 21:12 on Mar 30, 2024

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, push comes to shove, towed artillery also is an available tool that exists and can do work, it is a lot easier for the Russians to take D-20 out of storage and maybe replace the tires or the barrel that it is to build a new system out of scratch. Just keeping spare towed guns around just allows you to properly support mobilized infantry if nothing else even if it is an old fashion way of doing things.

Admittedly, the US is going to pick the option that makes someone some money.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

FirstnameLastname posted:

rocket artillery can concentrate fire in larger bursts and from further away but it's basically converting the labor/resources that would yield a larger overall amount of firepower across a larger timespan, and compressing/packaging it for specific use, rockets are burstier and have better packaging but they'll never be more economical because each shot fired has its own engine, fuel, guidance computers so across the span of an industrial war they'll always be relegated to a situational tool

This is NATO-brain. The Russians use the Grad system which normally fires unguided rockets. The fuel also shouldn't count against rockets as each as artillery shells also need to have its own "fuel". Rocket engines can be made very simply as well and I think you would need to count barrel wear on tube artillery as it has to endure harsher conditions. I'm not convinced that there is a great cost difference between using non-stupid version of rocket and tube artillery. There great tactical differences with rocket artillery being better at burst bombardment and tube artillery being better at sustained bombardment.

Would love to see any documentation of on the comparative costs of using each type (instead of just acquiring the system). I can't find any myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The 2S1 and M109 were supposed to replaced towed guns in armoured and mechanized units, and for a lot of reasons they largely did, and were largely successful. It's just that we've basically forgotten how to make cheap automotive components. It should not be hard to make a modern M113 chassis, but here we are.

However, airborne, airmobile, marine and otherwise expeditionary units have always required light equipment, which means towed. We've discussed to death that in 1991 this was the dream, right? Deploy forces worldwide on C-5s and C-17s to knock over whatever government we want.

The point is that these systems were always envisioned to be a mix, they serve different needs. The only country to go all-in on SP guns was Israel, with an inventory of only M109s after 83, but it's important to remember that Israel gets equipment for free and maintains it with other people's money, so these are not universally applicable principles.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 21:38 on Mar 30, 2024