Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

galagazombie posted:

I'm not too confident in Russia's military ability after Ukraine. I realize they're prevented from fully committing but thus far they've been unable to achieve victory in a country on their own border who the U.S barely bothers to give even token support. The U.S may have shown it's currently unable/unwilling to actually hold places like Iraq/Afghanistan. But it was entirely able to obliterate any semblance of a military or State those places had quite handily from the other side of the world. I could see something like the U.S winning the "war" and then getting utterly humiliated and its rear end kicked afterword.

Afghanistan is the grave of empires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Apparently it's easier to just make them go Mach 5.

I remember there was a test of some scramjet missile a few years ago that got up to mach 10 or mach 20 or something crazy like that (the ones launched via ICBM should be able to reach mach 20) and the US was like "the test was successful in that it flew really loving fast but we don't know where it went, maybe it landed somewhere in the Pacific but who knows"

Scramjets are one of the bad ideas that inevitably arises from using an ICBM for conventional warheads, because there's no way to determine what warhead is loaded in the missile, only that the missile has been fueled or launched. Launch a bunker-buster with an ICBM and it looks just like a loving MIRV as far as a missile defense operator is concerned. In the case of a scramjet, they fly in the upper atmosphere instead of space because they need oxygen and it is impossible to determine their target until a few seconds before impact. You could send one of those out to target Pyongyang and 30 seconds before impact no one knows if it's headed to PRK, ROK, Japan, eastern China, Indonesia, etc. and they can't know what the payload is either.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Is there something preventing scramjets from being used in a ballistic missile instead of something massive like an ICBM? The only reason anybody thinks tomahawks aren't nuclear armed is because we insist all the nuclear tomahawks are retired.

they're heavy and they have to be lifted up to 10s of km at a speed of mach 4 before their own engines can take over, ICBMs are powerful enough to do that. The scramjet is basically a ballistic missile in and of itself, just one that needs a massive booster. It couldn't take off on its own because the engine wont work at all until it's screaming fast already.

also everything I know about this is from an article I read whilst making GBS threads and typing up the op so take it with a grain of salt

Filthy Hans has issued a correction as of 03:34 on Mar 13, 2019

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The Demilich posted:

Uhhhh... pardon?

lots of Pittbull apologists out there and they have friends in the mod community

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

I believe the last air to air kill made by an American pilot was in 1994 wasn't it lol

I dunno but an Iraqi Mig-25 shot down an F-18 in 1991

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

they'd be better off restarting the Avro Arrow project

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm reading David Stahel's book on Army Group South during Barbarossa, and he goes into a little detail about how the Romanian Army basically exhausted itself trying to take Odessa with frontal assaults and other bad tactics, to the point where they took a hundred-thousand casualties just trying to take this one city (and they didn't even "take" it because the Soviets evacuated their coastal army over the Black Sea) and it got me thinking: what are good tactics and strategy when it comes to taking a city/urban combat?

Like, strategically maybe you want to destroy the enemy army before they ensconce themselves inside a city if you can help it, and politically you might want to see if it's possible to get them to not fight for the city block-by-block.

Operationally you'll want to invest/siege a city so that you starve them out instead of having to root out defenders out of every last basement and attic. Specifically the Axis failed to do this at Odessa because they never isolated the city from sea-borne resupply and reinforcement, and you kinda see the same thing happen with Stalingrad.

But assuming you DO have to start taking an urban area in house-to-house fighting... what is the playbook on that? how do you do it without going down in history as a dumbfuck commander that threw away his men's lives in frontal assaults?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_bomb

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Seriously tho

the F-35 is the latest iteration of "bloated piece of poo poo that doesn't do what it was intended to do" just like the Bradley fighting vehicle

it will not be the last

there was an HBO movie about some of the bullshit procurement corruption behind the development of the Bradley Fighting Vehicle

it starred Cary Elwes and I liked it at the time I saw it but that was a long goddamn time ago

apparently the Bradley wasn't handling rpg hits well, so the brass' big idea was to switch to using older, obsolete Soviet missiles in the testing so the Bradley could pass its tests

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

outside of thread context, but re: Denmark Chat, Nicholas Winding Refn's Pusher trilogy is up on Prime now, I'd been waiting ages to see it and now you can too

Mads Mikkelsen plays a very convincing junkie failson, maybe there's a Hunter Biden biopic in his future

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

im getting EVE online flashbacks from this list

same except System Shock II

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Wheeee posted:

the real poo poo is considerably more

I've never heard of ammo casing that has steel, copper and aluminum parts together before

sounds like it'd be insanely expensive to produce

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

sullat posted:

Why do our troops even need suppressors? I usually go scope/auto loader/expanded magazine for everyone but snipers and overwatchers.

yeah in your videogame no veterans sue the makers of ear protection for inadequate products and there's no VA required to buy hearing aids for all those chump veterans who don't even shoot bad guys no more

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Retromancer posted:

Does a suppressor even do anything if you're not using subsonic ammo? the muzzle velocity of the Spear is around Mach 3.

yes it substantially lowers the decibel value of the report even if the bullet is supersonic

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cybertnk

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

lol oops

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1537344708107804672

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

I was in posting jail when the US service rifle chat happened, but here’s Canada’s

The new service rifle for Canada comes with a suppressor on every rifle issued, has a hollow void rail system, and is also issued with a vertical and angle foregrip, per rifle. Not only is the unit cost absolutely batshit insane (and classified), but from talking to the Colt Canada engineers, lol it can only be disassembled and serviced by an armourer beyond the most basic cleaning, the suppressor requires proprietary cleaning fluid and will become clogged with CLP, it can’t mount a bayonet or BFA and it weighs about as much as an AK-47.

apparently the same is true of the M-17, the regular Sig 320 it's based off of can be stripped by the owner but the military version has special bolts that can only be loosened with special tools so you can't get further than removing the slide without access to said tools

so, "a feature not a bug"

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I’m reminded of how apple invented the lovely lightning cable that slips out with the slightest bit of movement or a spec of dust in the contacts just so they could sell their own proprietary cable.

exhibit A in the European Union's announcement about standardized data and power ports starting in a couple years

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

it's like that scene in True Detective where that trailer park meth lab gets raided

except not as good because the Chinese director didn't shoot it all in one take

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

It was actually in a ghetto housing complex and it was the white supremacist that he was undercover with

oh yeah

I guess I need to watch it again

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

that was the plot of stealth like 20 years ago

and it was the plot to Deal of the Century 39 years ago

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

KomradeX posted:

I remember that one Iraqi guy who shot down an Apache with an AK when the invasion was going on

don't forget the time an Iraqi in a Mig-25 Foxbat shot down an F/A-18 during the first gulf war, that was pretty lit

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

https://www.mbtmag.com/video/video/22301443/major-aluminum-manufacturer-shuts-down

The closure of the Hawesville smelter will mean that only 6 aluminum smelters will be operating in the United States. In other words, this reduces the MIC's ability to manufacture more war planes and other fancy gear that requires non-recycled aluminum. And only the Sebree, Massena, and New Madrid smelters seem to be fine, the other three are curtailed or operating at reduced capacity.

they smelt it
Biden dealt it

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

always felt the AK needed a forward assist

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/SDonziger/status/1545506846378586112

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mantis42 posted:

Make fun of him all you want but the city was never nuked, not even once, when Giuliani was in office.

I think I would have irrevocably snapped if Andrew Giuliani had won the nomination and then the governor's seat

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

lollontee posted:

you know the critical mass is dependent on local density, as in you take the fissionable material, and compress it enough to cause a runaway fission reaction. the mass of the bomb is variable, you can use less fission material if you put more explosive lenses on it.

so you use more/bigger explosive lenses you can make a smaller fission warhead, I don't know how to optimize that but I think maybe if you're going whole hog on conventional explosives like that you'll get to the point where the conventional explosives alone will damage more than a duplex before you even factor your micronuke detonation in

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

it's only a matter of time before neutron bomb technology gets to the point where landlords get the ok to use them as a more efficient alternative to the standard eviction process

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Morbus posted:

No you just put like 2 grams of tritium-deuterium gas right inside the fission core. As soon as your fission assembly begins to go critical (even at the poo poo-tier fizzle stage), it generates more than enough heat to cause a decent number of fusion reactions in the boost gas. This produces a large number of energetic neutrons, which "help along" the fission reactor much faster than would occur if it were limited to the neutrons produced only by its own fission. As the fissioning continues, more heat, more fusion, more neutrons, and so on. So a small amount of tritium (deuterium doesn't count since its so cheap) greatly increases the efficiency of the fission bomb, and also simplifies its design in many ways

this just sounds like "nutted... but she still suckin'" to me

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

what ever happened to the Super Tucano program, are we still selling those to South American puppet states

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Wheeee posted:

you enlist in the army for the free school

you enlist in the marines to get to kill people

My sister was in the navy and she was a pretty good shot, got expert marksman with rifle and pistol but on the day she was supposed to qualify for the M60 the range in Bahrain was shut down. A few marines had decided to turn their guns on some camels off to the side of the range. An investigation was ensuing because this was a recurring problem; typically the US would pay out several hundred thousand per trained camel in settlements. Those marines might have ended up spending a year in the brig followed by a discharge but that was just the rumored punishment. My sister never had another try to qualify for the M60.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

looks like Pelosi may be chickening out on that Taiwan visit

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

MyushiVerSCOOTY posted:

My guess is that they are using low velocity training rounds to reduce the risk of ricochet injury.

not a bad guess

https://twitter.com/Whisky_Allergic/status/1553978676412235776

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

they’re more wasteful and expensive though. plus that’s not riot control training that’s urban combat. either way the keyholing thing isn’t a real problem

rubber bullets are a lot less expensive if/when one of your soldiers shoots another during CQB training

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

atelier morgan posted:

the difference between the boring qbz-191 where all the divergences from ar 15 design are described in the patent documents and statements as 'we have slightly changed the gas system to reduce wear by 3%, which combined with the reduced strain on the upper receiver will increase the lifespan of the system by 12% and reduce overall logistical overhead by 8% in exchange for a 1.6% increased unit cost' and the MIC's mcx spear going 'we doubled the weight of the rifle and ammo and also every barrel will need to be replaced after firing any amount of our proprietary 4 dollar bullets in exchange for shooting through armor better, also to do this we've given one european company a monopoly on all us military small arms' is a perfect little microcosm of us will lose ww3

that proprietary ammo has a 3 part case, made with both brass and steel bits and I think aluminum too, sure it's more expensive but also now you need to source 3 metals instead of 1 just for the loving case

they also make a version of that ammo that's just brass-cased but the chamber pressure is much lower so it doesn't have the same ballistics or armor penetrating potential

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1562288820078673922

I did not realize the US had a base in Syria

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

As far as land based defenses go, yes, but the US Navy is better equipped. The problem is they would also be bombarded with waves of supersonic missiles while drones would be mostly used to soak up their air defense systems (CIWS systems are usually last resort). Also, Iranian cruise missile strikes have shown to be very effective.

Usually where Iran is weak is more conventional warfare specifically air superiority fighters and capital ships. I am kind of surprised the Iranians just don’t buy some old PLAN ships at this point as China continues to modernize. (Also, the Iranians eventually would probably be interested in buying the SU-75). That said, the Persian Gulf is going to be invariably controlled by the Iranians.

There were years when this wasn't true because Iran had F-14s armed with the Phoenix missile which would outrange anything else in the air; when the US retired the F-14 no other American fighter could carry that behemoth so any hypothetical air strike over Iran would've been dicey because US aircraft would be quite outranged. I don't think it's an issue any more since stealth fighters are a thing, although actually getting those in the air is a huge trial.

If you've never seen an F-14 in person, they are absolutely huge, twice as big as what you'd expect a fighter to be. 63 feet long.

edit: the Phoenix missile that only the F-14 could carry weighed over half a ton, had a range of over 100 miles, and went up to Mach 5, edging into hypersonic missile territory. It was a radar-guided missile, I would guess that part of the reason it was retired is that no other fighter had a radar big enough to track targets that far away. Also, if Wikipedia is to be believed, the only country to ever actually fire the Phoenix missile in anger was Iran, during their war with Iraq.

Filthy Hans has issued a correction as of 05:10 on Aug 26, 2022

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Retromancer posted:

The article doesn't specifically state what kind of hormones the SEALs are on.

Dark Brandon is making our operators trans.

Infinite Jest was a documentary

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

things that are properly institutionalized are moral, things that are not properly institutionalized are immoral. institutionality is morality.

https://twitter.com/chaostiktoks/status/1565857296722296832

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

vyelkin posted:

basically if a weapon was made in a factory by a defence contractor who's skimming off the top to line their own pockets that's legitimate and if it's made in any other way it's scary and you have to make up a catchy name like barrel bomb or ghost gun to make it clear that this is different from the legitimate ways to kill and maim people

broke: ghost gun

woke: Khyber Pass copy