Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

yellowcar posted:

remember when nurses and doctors were wearing garbage bags because there weren't enough medical gowns

:d2a:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Turtle Watch posted:

I can sorta almost maybe if I squint see your point that all Americans are permanently tainted by Americanization and are unable to transcend it due to their base nature of birth, but lmao that definitely also applies to Canada and Europe, countries whose only goals are to debase themselves to Amerikkka thought.

I spent 4 months deliberately conditioning myself to forget that tweet, rear end in a top hat

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

The idea was that it was supposed to be amortized and everyone would get a cut and keep their aviation industries alive by building at least subassemblies under licence like with the F-104 and F-86. However, Lockheed put an end to that on both counts while the US cranked up diplomatic pressure for everyone else to buy it anyways.

yes, the F-104 program was highly successful at getting German pilots to crash into their own neighborhoods

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mlmp08 posted:

Raw Flight Time can be misleading as well. For a while, F-15E squadrons were getting more flight time than anyone, but flying a 5-8 hour missions every other day and zero sim time burning holes in the sky over Syria or Northern Iraq in case ISIS shows up is less useful for major combat training than 6-10 hours of live flight time per month plus training and sim where the flights are training high end conflict and a variety of missions.

Yeah, the F-15E crews will be the most practiced in stuff like takeoff, landing, and insurgency-level CAS, but they might be LESS capable when it comes to advanced A2A combat training or SEAD/DEAD or long-range strike compared to crews getting less hours, but training instead for high end combat. F-15E squadrons still deploy to the middle east, but a lot of the focus over the last couple years has been getting them back into training the kind of skills required for a Pacific conflict.

the E is the version kitted out for ground attack so maybe being less capable at air-to-air than F-15C pilots isn't such a big deal

or do they just use F-15Es for everything these days?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pulcinella posted:

Was the the whole “oops, it’s not invisible to cellphone towers” thing actually real?

it was more complicated than that

iirc a doctrine to never fly the same route twice with a stealth aircraft was ignored in Serbia so they knew the routes and tower disruption gave them a clue as to when the F-117 would be in SAM range

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

Germany paid Hiram Maxim and John Browning for their licences, at least during the Great War. No idea how that would work now.

Rocket artillery is also usually (much) less expensive than guns of the same calibre. If you were to design a gun to fire a firework, you would need a built up tube, chamber and breech mechanism to fire the same projectile as a waxed cardboard tube, when it’s attached to a rocket.

That distinction is more obvious with things like Congreve and Hale’s rockets, WW2 rail launched rockets etc. but systems like the Type 63 as well

Because acceleration takes place over time, both the launcher and projectile only have to withstand the impulse of firing, which is much lower than a gun’s which must produce enough energy to sustain the projectile through the whole flight in an instant.

Granted, that changes with liquid fuels or more complex solid fuel designs, guidance units etc etc.

e: It would be more fair to say rocket artillery is intended to be simpler and less expensive than guns of the same calibre.

when I was a kid we went on several school class trips to decommissioned naval vessels (there are a ton of them in NJ) and one of the things that really struck me were how there were some interesting weapons systems that were never in the war movies I watched, probably because they just weren't exciting or cinematic

this is a "hedgehog" launcher, hedgehogs are basically small depth charges that would only ignite if they made direct contact with a submarine, they'd launch a bunch rapidly and were found to be more efficient (in terms of the ratio of number of attacks vs sub kills) than depth charges designed to detonate at certain depths and create much larger explosions that were close enough to damage subs with shockwaves

comparatively cheap, simple and effective but not sexy enough to compete for screen time with torpedoes and depth charges

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

"BMW was one of the first brands to introduce artificial engine/exhaust sound into the cabin. Using speakers to play an artificial version of the car’s own engine noise, every modern BMW adds at least a little bit of engine noise to the cabin. This is due to the fact that customers expect quiet cabins but quiet cabins reduce the amount of engine noise you can hear. So if you want to have your cake and eat it, too, you need to use some fake engine noise. However, BMW has gracefully added a new feature to its performance cars and it makes a world of a difference — adjustable engine noise."

:psyduck:

jfc

they claim it's because of cabin insulation but the real reason they had to add "engine noise" is because BMW went from naturally aspirated straight-6 motors that sounded great to turbo-4s and turbo-6s that sound like stifled farts

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

It's also useless information since between 2014 and now there has been a massive capital ship building program in China. Also, China actually has carriers, 2 are commissioned and another one is fitting out for sea trials.

the new one has a catapult launcher so it should be able to launch heavier aircraft than the first 2 carriers

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cuttlefush posted:

suppressors are baffling

hey, that's a pun

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Griz posted:

https://freerangeamerican.us/silencer-for-howitzers/

I grew up in central NJ and the army base would post notices in the newspaper when they were gonna do night artillery training to reduce the number of 911 calls about explosions because you can hear that poo poo 20 miles away if the weather is right.

my friend used to work for the DoD at Picatinny Arsenal in NJ and they wanted to shut it down at one point but they couldn't because the moment they did it would legally become a Superfund site and the government would be on the hook for dealing with the mess of decades of experimental artillery and cannon testing

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

croup coughfield posted:

just stop paying taxes altogether

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

If I recall correctly the reason why the VTOL model has the weaker engine is that any stronger and it'd destroy the runway it'd be trying to take off from. The naval version, which does short takeoffs, can afford a more powerful engine and is better off for it

here's an article about that from 2010: https://theaviationist.com/2010/11/24/the-f-35b-heating-problems/

1700 degree downwash, that can't be easy on an aircraft carrier's deck

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Palladium posted:

The marines ahould retrofit themselves out of existence

I read that they're getting repurposed as an occupational force to hold islands and make it a slog for China to take over the rest of Asia, relying on the Navy to get them there

I guess they never heard of MacArthur's island hopping

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

skooma512 posted:

Is there a way to take and occupy a megacity, anywhere but especially China?

Kiev has like 3 million people and Shanghai has 27. The Russians didn't even get to Kiev

that's why people keep trying to develop a neutron bomb

you'll never root everyone out of a city the size of, say, Los Angeles, but maybe you could make it impossible for them to survive but possible for your own people to survive there in the future

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1645909043200884737

that'll show 'em

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

There are guys with one leg working HQ and school jobs and Battalion is filled with guys with crippling PTSD. On the other hand, I know an honest to God operator who was discharged for developed lactose and gluten intolerance.

Recruitment and retention are the two biggest deficiencies and the medical side bears that out.

my sister dated a SEAL when she was in the Navy and he felt really let down because a bunch of his fellow SEALs jumped ship for ludicrously lucrative contractor positions as soon as their tour was up

this was '04 or '05 and the guys were being offered about $1k/day to leave the Navy and do VIP security

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/TheHidingGhost/status/1646016462170079233

the us will lose ww3 because it has a mass illiterate population

the number one source of casualties in the military will be diabetic comas

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

The number one source of casualties will be illiteracy because they don't know what 'this side toward enemy' means

how many of them will believe Newton's Second Law doesn't apply to Claymores because of CoD

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

crikey!

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Best Friends posted:

What the gently caress??

going to go out on a limb here and say it: being in the red army sounds bad

China didn't issue boots to some of their soldiers who besieged the US Army at the Chosin river gorge

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1647256193457434629
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1647256420809670656

what a revelation

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Hatebag posted:

The j-31 is funny because if they did rip off the design they got rid of the absolutely brain dead single engine design

are there any VTOL jets that have twin engines

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

interesting

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

I'm thinking he meant traditional twin engines, not 1+2 vertical ones.

yes that's what I was asking about

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

thank you, Cuddlefish

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1651391768779268101

lol

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Great Britain should balkanize according to regional soccer fandom

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Shrecknet posted:

today I learned so.ehow the Philippines elected another Marcos! :psyboom:

Bongbong's electoral strategy was to blanket Facebook and Twitter with revisionist propaganda about his parents

and it worked

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mlmp08 posted:

US is working on a few hypersonic weapons now.

The main versions: A shared army and navy round called the Long-Range Hypersonic Weapon, which uses a boosted glide body payload. Army would launch it off a trailer, Navy the same round off a ship. The army fields its first firing battery this year. Navy probably a couple years out from putting it on ships. About 1,700 miles range at hypersonic speeds.

One of the USAF efforts failed often, so it is likely dead if its remaining funded tests go poorly. The other USAF effort is a hypersonic air-breathing cruise missile, which shows more reliability promise.

And technically all different sorts of ballistic missile are hypersonic, but that’s usually not what someone is talking about when they say hypersonic weapon.

the US hypersonic tests have had some pretty weird failures, there was one a couple years ago where they lost track of the missile very quickly so they don't know where it ended up, the speed it achieved, range etc. just "we know it worked to some extent and it's somewhere at the bottom of the ocean now, everything beyond that is a mystery" then this year they did a test where they managed to botch the on-board data recording even though they kept track of it this time

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cuttlefush posted:

us was also pretty busy with this through the cold war and there are an absurd number of ramjet/scramjet projects going through the 50s/60s/70s. From https://secwww.jhuapl.edu/techdigest/Content/techdigest/pdf/V11-N3-4/11-03-Gilreath.pdf and https://secwww.jhuapl.edu/techdigest/content/techdigest/pdf/V18-N02/18-02-Waltrup.pdf it sounds like they were busy.

there was a hypersonic missile program started in 1962 that got into wind tunnel/engine tests at up to mach 10 (https://sci-hub.ru/https://arc.aiaa.org/doi/abs/10.2514/3.23952?journalCode=jpp)

i'm not sure how that compares to the soviet/russian program but if they got that far in 1978, canned that program, but kept f unding others it doesn't seem like a whole lot of progress? i'm inclined to just call it a MIC grift casualty, but that still sounds like a weird gap. i don't know how close that hypersonic ramjet (ironically not scramjet) missile actually diverges or what the difficult parts here are. had expertise, lost expertise, replaced with rentgineers?

The X-15 rocket planes reached Mach 7 in the sixties, too, although a rocket plane with an 80-second active flight time is very different from a ramjet or scramjet missile or whatever the Chinese have that has a range over 1000km

I'd imagine an X-15 launching from under the wing of a B-52 to the edge of space in one minute probably looks a lot like an ICBM to an early warning system

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

The US government has done a lot of things in the hopes of India being a strategic rival to China. Not a great track record of it panning out.

wasn't there some weird quirk of military geopolitics that saw US warplanes being sold to Afghanistan and Russian warplanes sold to India after the partition

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mlmp08 posted:

Do you mean Pakistan instead of Afghanistan? If so, yes

doh

yes that's what I meant

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mlmp08 posted:

Aesthetics. Look at these things. Inspirational. Maybe not to the US, but certainly inspirational to the IRGC naval force designers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus-class_hydrofoil

the Coast Guard should establish a special forces flyboard squad and do stunt shows, it could only help with their moribund recruitment numbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

X-posting

They added tiers to the meetings I have to attend with the MIC

if you have to pay an extra $249 for the complimentary coffee, it's not complimentary