Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
lol, so lets just keep dumping more and more money into the Military Industrial Complex furnace, that'll totally fix the issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The only real takeaway from this is that if you fight a near-parity country on their home turf then you're going to get owned. There isn't some sort of gap the military could bridge by throwing more money at the DoD. The Chinese and Russians have played catch up and there's no going back.

Yeah, any world war 3 is going to be hell for the countries on which the battles are actually fought. We've been lucky that we haven't had to fight a major war in the US since the mechanization of war. Though honestly, it would be a loving miracle if a real WW3 happens that involves bombing of the participants (ie Russia/China/US/EU/India/Iran) and no nukes get thrown around. I have trouble imagining a case where China bombs a US city that doesn't result in us launching a shitload of nukes, so I personally think this is all just posturing

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Typo posted:

but why would you suppress the results of war games where you get owned if you want additional funding?

you exaggerate the missile gap not understate it

Because they high ranking officers would probably get fired as congress/executive branch tries to find competent people to turn poo poo around, and the MIC would be forced to stop profiteering like crazy and actually spend the money effectively. SO its better for them to just pretend that the status quo is cool and good