Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

i for one am shocked that simulations designed to expose weaknesses are in fact exposing weaknesses in a cumbersome, half-obsolete military apparatus that still thinks it's gonna be fighting Guadalcanal every Tuesday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

it's me I'm RAND and i have a perfect working model of the universe.

*uses it to demonstrate the surprising result that planes have to land sometimes and are not invulnerable during this period*

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

also, definitionally, wouldn't world war 3 starting in the first place automatically mean the US lost

that is, lost in its stated quest to maintain hegemony (lol rip) and preserve what it defines as "world peace"

regardless of who wins a hypothetical world war 3, the US will first lose by the contest kicking off, and so the thread title is kind of like "duh?", in addition to all the other ways

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

poty posted:

hmmm good point op lets not have ww3 then

weird

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

feels like ive been hearing this for 15 years

there have been, uh, i think the scientific term is a butt-poo poo-ton? — a butt-poo poo-ton of revolutionary advancements over the past 15 years, so, uh

oh of course I've been beaten

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

this is to say nothing of our newfound ability to magic Gigs out of the ether, for the economy

!!!

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

^^^ i saw Ayn Randi made the last post and i laughed and wanted to compliment u on ur sn

qkkl posted:

Assuming nukes aren't used, Russia doesn't have the industrial capacity to keep up with the US. The US could just trade losses until Russia's military is depleted. China has the industrial capacity to match the US, but it doesn't have the tech yet to match the US in losses, so it would lose too.

hold that thought while i design increasingly expensive and complex machines of war and then destroy the industrial tooling necessary to build more of them because ????????

also in what world is capacity for war exactly & exclusively synonymous with capacity for industry

you can make exactly the same loss-trading argument but about warm bodies and for the other side(s)

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

i mean GOD haven't you ever played a pdx mapgame????

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

HerraS posted:

lol americans cant win a war unless they can outproduce their enemies five to one and get someone else to die in droves

the us civil war binch

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

the Union literally ran advertisements in places like Ireland and Germany promising Western land for anyone willing to sign up and fight in our Civil War. Hundreds of thousands of volunteers were found that way. We've always outsourced our fighting.

I'm about to go look this up but before I do I'm registering that "hundreds of thousands" strains credulity w/ me — so that i can come back and what I assume will be my "jeez ok that checks out??" post can have a bit more weight

side note i suppose you can technically refer to that as "outsourcing" but there's a huge difference between hiring foreign regiments to fight on your own land with your own citizens and, say, waltzing in during the last movements of WWI and claiming all the glory, yeah? at least i think it's a difference worthy of a different word

(would you call hiring foreign nationals and relocating them to Missouri to work call center jobs outsourcing? I wouldn't :shrug:)

edit: not moving goalposts & I didn't know there was active recruitment as described but separately from that I'm quibbling over outsourcing as a word
edit also: having a hard time finding something that distinguishes between recent immigrants, immigrants, and literal i-moved-here-for-the-war immigrants

hundreds of thousands (more than or at least in the neighborhood of 200,000 :colbert:) seems like too much tho

juche avocado has issued a correction as of 19:30 on Mar 12, 2019

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Typo posted:

This is actual racist confederate propaganda btw, one of the core confederate propaganda arguments is that they were "real protestant americans" fighting against untermenschen unamerican Catholic Irish immigrants Ireland

lmao that owns and that explains a lot of what I've seen in quickly looking this up

also seems pretty clear 2 me that mantis42 is saying China had & has a lot of soldiers. there's a lot of bending over backwards required to take the "wow are you claiming the chinese are genetically superior" reading there over the much more obvious one, imo

juche avocado has issued a correction as of 19:34 on Mar 12, 2019

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

General Dog posted:

So was it a lie, or was it just objectionable framing?

a framing can be a lie

I'm having a very hard time finding anything that explicitly says "and lo, these regiments were filled with irish mercenaries promised land in the west," to be separated from what I can find: "there were a decent amount of Irish-Americans in this army, and German-Americans in this one, and...."

like, shock! there are lots of recent immigrants and 1st generation descendants of immigrant families in the civil war era united states!

also i return to my rhetorical question, knowing now that the goalposts never moved: let's pretend you emigrate from Germany because (and only because) you saw a sweet poster that promised you land in the Great Frontier

you join up

congrats you're now an american even though you were a german two months ago

how does this dispute the implicit claim that it was almost-entirely-to-mostly americans (...and slaves :/) who died in the meatgrinder of the american civil war

(psst it doesn't, unless we literally hired german mercs again like we did in the revolutionary war; but also didn't lots of those dudes just end up becoming citizens anyway. whatever.)

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

also there was a famine going on in europe and also republican rumblings so yk there were a whole lot of reasons people might have to end up in america during the civil war

I don't think we ran a Who Referred You? Answer So They Can Get A $20 Tax Credit! question on all newcomers

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Typo posted:

The idea that China just human-waved its way into victory in Korea cuz they had lot sof soldiers is also bullshit btw, human waves don't work against modern firepower and according to wikipedia (heh) the total number of Chinese+NK soldiers and UN soldiers were pretty similar in 1951 or so.

well ok that's weird (that numbers were pretty similar)

i meant as a resupplying depleted forces thing not a clog their guns with our bodies thing but i will recalibrate regardless

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

also in AP US History they tried to teach me that Maryland didn't secede because "Lincoln suspended the writ of habeas corpus," which......... technically yes that's true, but that's not really the story at all, and that led poor confused nth grade me to think that for some reason Maryland's government wanted to be allowed to hold people w/o cause and Lincoln was like "sure yeah if u promise to not be the Confederate bread of a DC sandwich"

but no it's literally that Lincoln had secessionist(s) arrested and held him (them? iirc it was one guy in particular?) without cause lmao

this was never ever ever ever explained and the correct answer on the quiz was literally "Because Lincoln suspended habeas corpus" and ighdhdbxb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

I never said poo poo about human wave tactics. Why are words being put into my mouth?

yeah I'm right there w/ you, my dude

e: just posting?? never!!!! more like unjust posting!!!!