Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/TaskandPurpose/status/1712587642565542088

it is time for just-in-time maintenance and logistics

It's not just good, it's good enough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

we always thought it was going to be the Chinese

If Hamas sinks a carrier it's over for US power projection image.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

LuxuryLarva posted:

I just finished watching the first rambo movie - first blood. Anyway I was refreshingly surprised to discover a meditation on the brutal way police treat homeless people. I'm sure that the sequels won't disappoint me in some way!

Rambo 2 is up there with biggest thematic and tonal shift in a sequel compared to the original for sure.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtyDj7EsqSM

Can you do this with anything modern and western?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

What legacy?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

What does Lehr mean because that's the same name as a Wehrmacht Panzer Division

To answer this question anyway Lehr is German for "teach".

This division was formed out of training personell and instructors when the Germans started being in serious trouble in 1943. It's presented as an elite division but lol poo poo is totally hosed when you cannibalize your training pipeline.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It’s one gun Michael what could it cost? A billion dollars?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wanna know if the Chinese managed to make the gun even lighter.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Votskomit posted:

Thank you. This is a good post and matches my limited understanding. I like this explanation way more than "failsons are in charge now."

The failsons are in charge, but their fathers, had they lived in modern times, would have been equally as dumb.

The ideology of liberalism has created the current material circumstances, and those circumstances in turn create the ruling class ideology ie. perception of the world.

Everything is dumber now because their dumb ideology has been able to shape the world for the past 75 years.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Imagine taking anything other than communism this seriously in life.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

All fair points. You have to remember than infantry of the line started as numbered regiments. It was through that mathematical equation that they earned their names and fame, often getting mulched in the process, like 28th Foot.

Who earned the battle honour Egypt,

On 21 March, during the Battle of Alexandria, French cavalry broke through the British lines, formed up behind the regiment, and began to charge. With the men still heavily engaged to their front, the order was given for the rear rank to turn about, and standing thus in two ranks back to back, the regiment held the line. To commemorate this action, the regiment began wearing a badge on the back as well as the front of the headdress, a unique distinction in the British Army that was officially sanctioned in 1830.

Various other numbered battalions were mulched in the Peninsula and India, and in one of the (many) Victorian army reforms, they were combined to form the Glosters, who inherited their battle honours, rear badge and a new cap badge that similarly called back to Egypt.

The regiment was then mulched at Talana Hill and Ladysmith, losing the entire 1st Battalion at Ladysmith.

In 1914, 1st Battalion was almost wiped out again at First Ypres, suffered on the Somme, and was badly bloodied in the Kaiser's Battle of 1918. 2nd Battalion was mulched at Second Ypres in 1915, but was assigned to a quiet sector thereafter to the end of the war.

I won't get into all the TA and New Army battalions, but that ties into my point about how regiments can expand rapidly when the time comes.

In the Second World War, the Regular Battalions of the Glosters were all but destroyed early in the war, in the retreats from France and Burma. They then reentered the war at Gold Beach and the Admin Box in 1944, and won more honours.

In Korea, the Glosters fought their last stand at the Imjin River.

So, what's the through line? A numbered regiment, the 28th, became known for a galant stand at the Battle of the Sphinx and earned a name for itself. The battalions that bore the name thereafter, though that connection, made some of the most heroic last stands in British history: Quatre Bras, Ladysmith, Mons, First and Second Ypres, Menin Road, Defence of Escaut, Taukyan, and Imjin.

I would suggest that knowing that they belonged to the Glorious Glosters, rather than just a numbered infantry regiment, inspired these later acts.

If the British Army is going to be reduced to a handful of Battalions, shouldn't they be aspire to live up to something?

This reminds me how the people honoured in Italian churches are artists, inventors and clergy, whereas British churches are wall to wall soldiers and regiments and also some clergy.

My point is that all this poo poo is a product of empire, of a thoroughly militarized society, a mechanism for getting the lower classes to lay down their lives for their oppressors. gently caress these British institutions, gently caress their traditions and gently caress what they stand for.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Check the scoreboard

Yes, empire very bad.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Helicopters were supposed to solve this problem, starting in the 1970's, but when that required either ships to operate dangerously close to shore, or the beachheads could only be so far inland, they developed.... the V-22.

The USMC also does not have enough of a logistical tail afloat to actually supply any of these formations anymore. If you look at the size of the logistics in the MTO/ETO/PTO - whole construction battalions making docks and warehouses around the South Pacific, Tunisia, gigantic depots in Southern England, the huge companies of (segregated) stevedores to unload ships at the beach, the (segregated) transport companies to take it all inland - that's all been eliminated. So there's - this is not an exaggeration - actually a plan to provision this theoretical marine force because V-22s "may" be able to land them there, but they can't possibly meet their daily needs for rations, ammunition and POL.

I have a few really interesting books on amphibious operations, and it's 99.9% logistics, 0.1% beach assault, which is why it's basically been ignored since the 70's.

Remember the plan for the USMC's role in WW3 was to land with the British Royal Marines in Norway to shore up NATO's flank - but all of their equipment and stores were laboriously prepositioned there years in advance.

The process of getting it all there took years too. I don't think the PRC or Iran will be so obliging as to let the US build these in their coastal towns.

How would that even work? Like leaving nukes aside, wouldn’t these depots get cruise missiled or bombed in the opening minutes of the war?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Well, the plan wouldn’t work if they were so everyone assumed they wouldn’t be

Hopefully you live far enough away from these ones

Oh right that makes sense.

As for your second point, this always made me do a double take whenever western media talked about other countries using civilians as shields. I grew up less then 500m from the Dutch commando corps base, which if you'll do a quick google maps search, is situated inside a city, specifically in a residential zone. The house of one of my classmates in primary and secondary school was less than 100m from the grounds of the base. The closest houses are less than 30m away. While I was in high school the whole base was renovated with new buildings and everything too, so keeping it where it is was a deliberate choice.

Since then, a mosque has been built less than 250m from the base (and did that lead to some serious whining about PTSD triggers from the oh-so-tough commandos let me tell you) and my old high school finally moved into a new building (they told us it'd happen during the time when I was attending when I was choosing which high school to go to, but they didn't move until more than 5 years after I graduated because building things is so difficult in a neoliberal society), which conveniently is located right across the street from the main entrance of the base, at only sightly over 100m distance.

Based on the logic western armies' lawyers use when defending their strikes, I'm pretty sure my parental home, many hundreds of other houses, the mosque and the school all qualify as collateral damage situated near a legitimate military target, in case we'd ever go to war. Which we have done multiple times in my life (Iraq, Yugoslavia/Serbia, Afghanistan, Iraq again, Libya). Though somehow if any of those enemies had bombed us in the same way we bomb them I can't imagine western media reporting it in anything approaching the same way. Nor blaming our government for deliberately putting military infrastructure inside of a residential area to using civilians as shields.

Checking google maps now though apparently the base is no longer blurred? I wonder why that changed, it used to be blurred for decades.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Thinking this through, this meant the strategy for the US' conventional forces was only ever viable if they struck first, and they also refused to adopt a no-first-use nuclear policy...

Just putting yourself in the seat of a Soviet decision maker it becomes utterly reckless and irresponsible not to take a large scale NATO exercise as an impending declaration of war.

Yet every cold-war-gone-hot game released always assumes both a Soviet first strike (because they are evil and we are good) and that all these obvious, crucial and immobile logistics depots survive the first hour of the war (because ???). I've become utterly convinced over the last year that absent nuclear weapons and in the case of a Soviet first strike, they would have reached the Rhine within 7 days with ease, possibly even the North Sea and/or Atlantic coasts.

FF I gotta ask, how does it feel to know for a fact that you were a soldier for the side which taught you how to do war wrong, as a joke? It's got to sting on a sort of professional honour level, no?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

I would like to think that I was taught how to do war the right way, at the Artillery School, where we spent days drafting complex fire plans that required hundreds of rounds per gun, had crews dig gun pits and camouflage their guns etc. The institutional army is very old school, and takes a lot of professional pride in traditions.

Yeah ok maybe but I mean like, doctrinally the organization you were part of learned how to do war wrong (because they copied the loser nazis) and the society was never going to give you the tools they taught you were required to do the job they taught you how to do. So like, in the ultimate sense all your studying and exercising was a waste of time because it was all deliberately set up to fail, wasn't it? Again, even leaving aside whether any of this ever had an actual use-case because of nukes.

Even now when you are ostensibly in some sort of advisory role (?) in which you specifically are supposed to be thinking about this kind of stuff you're not allowed to say any of the important bits out loud because they are politically incorrect.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

because neoliberalism solved the problem on the cheap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l-Wzh78pyg&t=95s

Outsource the army to China?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

DancingShade posted:

All you need is American brand Zelensky. There is no troublesome law that cannot be re-written, removed, suspended, replaced or outright ignored. Might makes right.

"Oh but that could never happen here"

You seem really confused about who owns the American government. The US state isn't an entity separate from the capitalist class. It is a tool of the capitalist class, the very instrument of the dictatorship of the bourgeoisie.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Hostile takeover by whom?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

My god, it’s off the charts.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It's deeply hilarious just how little western leaders care for anyone but themselves.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

lol they're going to optimize for the metric of '#TBI's' rather than '% of gun operators who get a TBI'.

Number go down so problem solved.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

I would only that that the other part of this, which connects to nearly every other post ITT, is that they can't imagine "just use longer lanyards" or "use better PPE", which are relatively easy to implement health and safety improvements. I don't mean they couldn't do it. They can't imagine doing it.

A longer lanyard, which heavy artillery used in the world wars (or fired by remote with the crews behind berms, in trenches etc.) or better ear protection are relatively inexpensive solutions. Even more obvious an inexpensive are procedural changes like more crew rest, rotating crews etc.

All of their proposed solutions emerge from the same neoliberal consensus The Oldest Man described, which are incredibly capital intensive.

They would rather buy "BrainScope" whatever the gently caress that is, than use a longer lanyard and have the crews shelter during firing.

You know how you said that a recurring lesson from military history is that civilians never dig trenches and you can only get professional soldiers to entrench themselves?

I wonder if the civilians (read: neoliberals) micromanaging more and more war stuff since Technowar means professional soldiers become less and less professional?

Like, just digging a deeper hole is a mitigation to the problem and only a slight extension of something you should be doing *anyway* for a myriad of reasons, but which western armies apparently have stopped doing... because they're acting like civilians... because they are colonial police (a civilian function) rather than professional soldiers.

Civilians don't entrench, and apparently can't even conceive of the idea of entrenching.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

They don't need to use a rope, just use a bluetooth button or something. Use your fingerprint login to add security.

Searching the field for my battery CO's finger after he got blowed up by counterbattery fire so that we can keep firing.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

This is a NOD buggy from Tiberium Dawn (aka C&C 1) and there isn't a goddamn thing you can tell me that will convince me otherwise.

https://cnc.fandom.com/wiki/Buggy_(Tiberian_Dawn)?file=TD_Buggy_DOS_Manual.gif

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

The problem, imo, is that it feels "pointless" in training, when nobody has encountered counter battery fire in their lives, so without the visceral feel of shell splinters tearing them to pieces, stripping to the waist and digging all day with picks and shovels sucks. Which is true, obviously. It does suck. It just sucks less than getting ripped apart by splinters, or in this case, getting TBIs. But TBIs are invisible, so, it's really hard to reinforce.

Isn't this literally what sergeants (major) are for?

Like what the gently caress is anyone even doing in the military nowadays goddamn.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Looks like TBI to me.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

lmao @ 14:03
"Military tradition may have its roots in the Crimea, wrought's drift (?) and the Somme, but it remains a living something. The Falklands in the 80s subscribed a new chapter, and all the while another war endured. Against terrorism, and an enemy bereft of honour."

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

So FF serious question about all this tradition stuff right, how do you actually impart these in times of crisis? Like I imagine these regiments swelled the gently caress up and also had a lot of errr throughput in WW1. Seems like with the shorter training times and then straight off to the front and the need to teach a lot of fieldcraft and soldiery in as short a time as possible it'd be real tough to get anyone inducted into the sheer volume of all this nonsense.

Or is this all primarily a peacetime kind of thing?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Finally, as soon as someone arrives in battalion their calendar if filled with dinners, sports tournaments and ceremonies that reinforce all of these identities.

Yeah, so peacetime. I'm talking about times of crisis.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

i don't know much about boats, but i do know that taking a functioning weapon and slapping all sorts of dumb poo poo onto it is a time-honored american pastime

tactilol boat

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

You can have more poo poo delivered for cheaper in China. Is the PLA struggling with recruitment?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Who decides when ISIS is defeated again?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

skooma512 posted:

Agreed. Useless and needlessly escalatory.

Which is a nice segue into tactical nukes.

The thing is, nobody has fired a nuke of any kind in anger since 1945. For the same reason you mentioned nobody used chems in combat in WW2, it starts an escalation spiral. If you use one in a first strike, you broke the seal, and now nukes are on the table for the return shot. This doesn't automatically trigger "launch everything and go home to die" mode, but it's the first step to that, since you'll end up in a tit for tat exchange while the international community tries to get you to back down or defeat you, that will probably end up with your cities (countervalue strategy) eventually being destroyed. Or maybe you get away with it and you just trade low yielders a couple times on military targets (counterforce) until someone sues for peace, but nobody wants to deal with that when a low yield nuke is effectively the same thing as a bunch of conventional bombs that no will fault you for using.

Here's the thing though: I think an escalation spiral exactly like that already happened with the strategic bombing of cities in WW2.

Firstly the US issued an appeal to all combatants to confine their bombing to military targets. France, the UK and also Germany agreed to abide by it, but the latter also said bombing Warsaw counted as a military target because it was a fortified city. Then during the Sitzkrieg both sides limited bombing to primarily naval targets and some airports. Civilians died, but weren't the target. Then comes Fall Gelb, where German paratrooper actions in Rotterdam and around The Hague fail to achieve their operational objectives, which in turn threatens to slow the German advance enough to lead to a repeat of WW1. The German response is to threaten bombing Rotterdam, twice, to no effect. Then the Germans actually bomb Rotterdam. However, there was fighting around Rotterdam at the time, had been fighting in Rotterdam, and the city contained strategic bridges, so there was still some fig leaf as to it being within the laws of warfare at the time. On the other hand the Germans issued new threats to do the same to Utrecht, which led to Dutch surrender.

The British response was to change policy to now also bomb civilian infrastructure vital to the war effort, such as oil plants and other civilian industrial targets. The Germans are still focusing on the battle of France at this point, and don't start bombing similar British targets until June 1940. They are explicitly prohibited from bombing London, hoping the UK will come to terms. In August the Blitz against the RAF and supporting infrastructure properly gets under way. As part of this more and more raids take place at night, and targets in suburban London are hit. The next night the RAF hits an airfield and a Siemens factory in Berlin for the first time. They were perceived as deliberately targetting civilians due to their inaccuracy. This is then responded to by a mass bombing raid against the London docks, technically a military target, but also clearly with the intention to terrorize the civilian population into submission.

From there, strategic bombing against cities becomes accepted practice on both sides for the remainder of the war and beyond, leading to "de-housing" campaigns and ultimately the destruction of drat near every building in North Korea.

I feel this is a pretty good case study of how using a low-yield nuke or a tactical nuke would go in practice.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 10:08 on Nov 14, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

to be fair some of them involve the president being insane or the US just loving up and launching all the nukes accidentally

These are what we call the plausible scenario's.

Frosted Flake posted:

All of the anecdotes from his own class and cohort make that pretty clear. He was fondly remembered by people that didn't know him.

That middle class boomers adore him is mostly a product of the 1960's. The man left office in disgrace and widely hated, for chrissakes.

Imagine winning a war against evil and still not being able to get reelected. Churchill is like a male Hillary.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 10:15 on Nov 14, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

One time a Soviet sub did get stuck on a reef or something in Swedish waters, but some poo poo had gotten hosed up (hence it running aground) which was also the reason it ended up in Swedish waters in the first place. From NATO propaganda perspective that was all obviously Soviet lies and proof that the Soviets routinely intruded in Swedish waters, ofcourse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_submarine_S-363

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Shell reserve held in pounds.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

I can see why the MIC has no enthusiasm for artillery. Why go through all the tedious effort to setup artillery and blast away with $500 artillery shells when you can bury your opponents in money via easy peasy $2 million dollar cruise missiles?

Ending life is expensive, in the occident.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

As of 2022, they did not make Leopards. Greece still makes them, but Germany does not.

They do *sell* them, though. Delivery date is vibes-based. If you buy a Leopard 2A8, it doesn't get made new, they get an old Leopard, and refurbish it and put the new bits on it. But that's dependent on them getting their hand on the old Leopard. Which will probably be a lot harder today than it was recently.

As of 2022, there were reports that Rheinmetall were asking some museums to give them back Leopards so they can refurbish them and sell them as new.

It's possible that they started production again since then and I just missed it, but I definitely didn't see any articles about it happening.

They don't. It's pure sales material\expo bait, like a lot of stuff is. They're not going to be producing it until someone buys it. They're not going to finish development until someone buys it. It's basically a pitch, at this point.

It's extremely unlikely that anyone will buy it, because the Bundeswehr has decided on a list of requirements for future tanks, and the Panther does not fulfill them.

The Budeswehr plan is amazing in itself. They decided that a tank has to weigh around 50 tons, but have a lot more capabilities than current tanks do. They also concluded this is impossible, but they won't budge on any aspect of this. So they came up with the best (for profit motive) solution possible: every tank will be replaced by a platoon of 4 tanks, that have different elements of the capabilities they want. So, some will have a big gun, some will have a small gun, some will have missiles, and so on. Also, they'll be partially AI, because you need fewer crew people, you can't just quadruple manpower requirements.

At no point did anyone seem to think about where the gently caress will you put them, in physical terrain. If your single tank is now a platoon of 4, I guess your platoon is now 20. Where do they go?. What if you face an enemy platoon? What if you face an enemy division? It's such a perfect example of thinking by powerpoint.

This is the most German solution imaginable. The whole country has a furious hatred of standardization and gets ragingly hard/wet at the thought of massively complicating a logistics tail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

but all tanks are beautiful!