Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

KomradeX posted:

Isn't the Bradley replacement even bigger than the Bradley. It sounds like they literarily did Pentagon Wars with that one

From what i can find there isn’t one anymore. Just cancellation after cancellation until they threw up their hands and said ‘uh we’ll replace everything including the m1 in 2035’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Looks like its going ahead but delayed from this year to 2025, then delayed again till production start 2030 so yeah 2035 sounds about right for general adoption

https://www.defensenews.com/land/2021/10/11/us-army-gets-its-first-look-at-bradley-replacement-options/

At least some of the delay appears to be because the mic got pissy with the military expecting the arms companies to front some of the cost causing it to fall through and the military to apologise and offer more of their own funding

KomradeX posted:

I must have missed that, they mentioned it on an episode of Well There's Your Problem last year. I didn't realize it had been cancelled

Yeah sorry cancelled wasn’t the right word, just significantly delayed

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Fish of hemp posted:

Are you really saying that you would have preferred Eurofighter?

what's wrong with the Eurofighter?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Southpaugh posted:

is this one of those times hes right though?

yeah i think sometimes his brain was kinda working right but the bit that controls his speech is mush for sure

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

they're gonna drop that new gun because of the weight like the M14 and L85 before it

mmm? The L85 is only used by the British army and is still in service with no plans to replace it. Or is this some other L85?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTZRCEh1Czg

Gun Jesus did a video on the XM5 / SIG SPEAR

there's a couple of interesting points I picked up on:

- the current order is for 120,000 of these rifles, supposedly enough to arm all of the "front-line" troops (however that's defined), with the rest of everyone still needing a gun to continue using the M4

- the intent is for all of these rifles to use a suppressor, all the time. There's supposedly a tactical use for this as far as making the battlefield less noisy so that verbal commands can be more easily heard, but apparently it's also the case that the US military has been sued by veterans for a lack of ear protection resulting in hearing loss and this is part of their attempts to address that

- the suppressors themselves are 3D-printed. Supposedly this allows them to be of a special design that wouldn't be possible through other more traditional manufacturing methods, but that doesn't really sound very reassuring as far as the ability to produce lots and lots of these guns

- for training and civilian applications, the gun is going to use "training ammo" that's purely brass ergo cheaper to make and less stressful on the gun, but travels at a slower velocity, but that's considered just fine since it's either for training or not for military use anyway. The expectation is supposedly that once the gun is used in a live-fire scenario, then the steel-base "real" ammo will be used and that's going to stress the gun more, but that's okay because in a live-fire scenario the gun is expected to break because of any other combat-related reason anyway. I'm not really sure I buy this concept because although this sounds like the Soviets designing a tank that doesn't need an engine that can do 100k in mileage, it worked for them because the T-34s were mass-produced.

Overall it seems like the gun is just fine as far as guns are concerned, but in the spirit of this thread there's still the originally mentioned problem that this represents a move towards less standardization, and while I'm just a simple country shitposter I'm not convinced the production run is going to be enough

Anyway I wonder when we'll see the first mass shooting that uses [the civilian version of] this

it seems overly complex and somewhat disappointingly unambitious at the same time

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

I love the power these companies have.

British army - 'these vehicles you sold us are hosed'
GD - 'nah'

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ardennes posted:

(btw the British army, had already signed the contract and ordered it before they realized it was liquifying their soldiers.)

is this normal or did someone in the MoD gently caress up and it's one of those gigs where no one ever gets blamed so the fuckups will continue?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i'd say squaddies getting their heads repeatedly slammed into bulkheads was cool and good but it'll only result in them voting tory harder

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

yes actually. there are suitcase nukes whose yield is only in the hundreds of tons of tnt

that'd probably wake the neighbors

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
cataclysm grenades took down whole skyscrapers and i don't think you'll get smaller than that

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
yeah the original gundam is 'immune' to the 90mm zeon machine guns and the odd missile

from what i remember they were pretty consistent with this and Amuro just dodges most things

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Fish of hemp posted:

Well who is going to win WW3? Russia ain't doing so hot in Ukraine and China's army produces really cool propaganda films but their fighting ability is still unproven.

you don't win wars by 'doing so hot'. You win them by being the side still standing.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
so people are still trying the 'china is backwards and doesn't know how to do anything right' even as they overtake every economy?

people sitting in tent cities in the ruins of their cities: "lol if china made this tent it'd be on fire'

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

crepeface posted:

Europe is a joke

i think some EU suits are starting to realise how trapped, weak and pointless they've been made by themselves, 'allies' and rivals, and it's coming out in some weird ways. We can't keep the lights on but we're not failed states, we're real countries damnit.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
lol at shrike82 finally pushing his luck

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

shrike82 posted:

seems like a branding problem - call them kegs or something

no one blinked when trump dropped a moab in afghanistan

it won't stop them

The media did this poo poo were Russia using thermobaric weapons in Ukraine. Pretended that no one else uses them and they were somehow worse than dying to normal explosives.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Filthy Hans posted:

apart from grift, I don't see the point of lighter tanks, the Abrams is 70 tons partially because it carries enough armor and equipment to stop man-portable antitank weapons

anywhere you can airlift a lighter tank, someone else can bring in plenty of weapons that can disable or destroy it

generally the best way to survive is to not get hit

even for tanks the best bet is to not test the armor. Light tanks are made with the assumption they'll survive long enough to complete missions

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Filthy Hans posted:

I remember there was some large mobile artillery vehicle project in the early aughts that was eating up billions in development that Rumsfeld kept trying to cancel and congress kept refunding, but I can't find anything on it now

the paladin upgrade for the M109's?

edit: no that was in the 90's, thought it was much later :shrug:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

KomradeX posted:

So what the M27 is just a fully auto M4? That seems less than ideal compared to the ammo capacity of the 249, you know the thing you could really use while laying supressive fire

i assume a heavier barrel for sustained fire but yeah it does seem to miss the point a bit

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
why not a laser?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

calmer than u are

Jog on m8

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
yeah the whole thing with Ukraine gives me the impression this is the first moves against China and why the west can't keep a lid on wanting Russia broken up. China is an aberration on neoliberal domination. There isn't supposed to be another way to live. But there is China. And they loving hate it for that. I don't see how the tension doesn't spiral into something worse with the future climate crisis and/or resource shortages.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

lol at spaceforce: weak

compared to what?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Fish of hemp posted:

So now that Russia is losing its war against NATO without NATO even showing up, can we conclude anything out of it regarding WW3?

its more like its against NATO but the rest of them convinced this one country to single single-handedly provide the infantry part

it's going about as well as can be expected for both of them

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Fish of hemp posted:

Does modern Russia have that?

loving lol

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Russia is super corrupt but i think their tanks still have their night vision systems and they still have giant stockpiles of anti tank weapons, yes

in the same way as the west in generally corrupt as gently caress and yet NATO can still go gently caress somewhere up/Open fresh markets every 10 years

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

KomradeX posted:

Its really funny that the UK seems to be at USSR in 1989 levels of dysfunction

Uh its more like post collapse

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

SideEffectShit posted:

the dude has 200 billion dollars worth of modern American military equipment and has yet to produce any results

some how most of it isn't actually weapons

they have so many transport vehicles... i think the HIMARS is the most effective thing they sent? They've gone very quiet about the M777's that were sent

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

at the very least they're being remarkably open about their true intent

almost every geopolitical crisis of today centers around containing China. I'd just have thought they'd want to keep up at least some political facade for the sake of diplomacy.

I don't get why China isn't just openly sending weapons to Russia at this point. Cats out the bag.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

gently caress off to one of the 38 stupid rear end ukraine war threads on these here forums. rear end holes

China is constantly in the news for not distancing itself from Russia

begone troll

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

The craft come from the landing ship. LHD Landing Craft is in the name. The Abrams can be transported inside the ship. This is if you need an amphibious landing instead of going port to port on any number of ships.

here is a picture for you.

Good luck, tank!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
tank loves boat but hates war

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Lol what

they were going to use them for operation sealion

literally dropped onto the seabed and then drive and hope you were pointing the right way

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i think they tested it in so much as they dropped one in a pool of water and it didn't immediately flood

whether it would work when dropped in the channel and you were totally blind and had limited time to reach the coast and then hope you can actually drive up and out... ehhh i would let someone else do it

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Everyone knows it is scientifically impossible to hit a ground vehicle doing more than 100kph.

i loving wish

i can't remember the last time someone actually missed their first shot at me in war thunder

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Lostconfused posted:

Nationalism is a strong unifying principle, and that's why it's such a problem.

It makes it easier for the rulling class to exploit the lower classes, for their own personal interests while claiming it's in the interest of the nation.

The current war is a great example of that where it's presented as an ideological and national struggle, when you can easily see it's nothing of the sort from even the simplest examination.

Yeah the good kind of national unity is a nice comfortable dream, it just doesn't loving work like that in practice.

Scotland has recently found out nice civic style nationalism was great right until people were told to respect trans people and then the whole project imploded

RIP

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Merf posted:

Good news guys, a war with China will last 3 weeks and end with 30,000 Chinese prisoners stuck on Taiwan and all of China’s naval and air forces destroyed!

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/investigations/china-us-war-simulation-csis-wargame/65-37844d34-ab1f-49a2-ad2e-09a7c8ff94c4

well do it then?

if you can kneecap China now why wait?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Relevant Tangent posted:

400 posts by a dude paid by the King to demoralize America and murder people.
:911:

ok the others got distracted but: what?

'demoralize America'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

india why