Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

color me shocked that "assume permissive air space for drones" and "pay off one local group to kill another local group" tactics fall apart in a conventional warfare scenario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Prav posted:

when were carriers last relevant for doing anything other than an imperialism anyway, 1950?

they're pretty good for humanitarian efforts

not as good as "not doing an imperialism to begin with" but having a floating city that you can just pop down next to a disaster area is pretty good

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

millenium challenge isn't representative of anything because the red team violated the laws of physics and then yelled about it

good ideas, bad execution

the underlying principle is correct, though: our giant war machine is only suitable for fighting other giant war machines, preferably if the other giant war machine has tuckered itself out by beating the poo poo out of our allies first

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Fuligin posted:

look until the millenium dawn mod team completes their code merge and updates for 'Ironclad' 1.6 HoI IV this is all just idle speculation

bug fix: bubba gump shrimp boat no longer capsizes when fitted with anti ship missiles
bug fix: motorcycle couriers now properly transmit messages at speed of light, not speed of motorcycle

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i can't wait until i get sent forward 10000 years in time to fight the aggressive invaders, only to come back and find out that earth is now super gay and multiracial

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Raere posted:

OK cool luckily WW3 isn't likely to happen anytime soon. It doesn't look good but who knows what the facts will be if/when it does occur.

WW4 will be fought with sixers and posts

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the thread title is not a serious prediction of world war, folks

killjoy is here

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

this is the greatest thing i have ever read in my life

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

skooma512 posted:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/43069/metallurgist-admits-to-falsifying-navy-submarine-steel-strength-test-results-for-36-years

Lol they can’t even guarantee they’re getting what they paid for even when it’s high grade steel in an environment where it absolutely has to work as advertised. The US sub force is probably the most elite in the world, and they were short changing them the whole time. No punishment and they can’t even change vendors because they’re the one of the few who make it.

Most other countries would treat this like sabotage and treason but :capitalism:

in this lady's defense, i really can't figure out a reason why the steel for a submarine needs to be tested at -100 degrees, i think you'd have bigger problems to worry about like "the entire loving planet has iced over" or "help my submarine has beached itself in antarctica".

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Anyway I wonder when we'll see the first mass shooting that uses [the civilian version of] this

glad to see defense spending return to having civilian applications

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

deployed lasers have been chemical lasers that use huge tanks of nasty poo poo and create plumes of exhaust

all electric solid state lasers are what they want to deploy but they make too much heat traditionally so the work is on solving that problem

make the heat bake bread so the troops get delicious hot sandwiches

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Sherbert Hoover posted:

it looks dumb, op

mods

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/zhao_dashuai/status/1465328265963261962

uhh what if one of the assumptions for the wargame is incredibly off

the us navy has long been at the mercy of both chinese undersea rock and passing fishing boat technologies

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

atelier morgan posted:

there are a lot of incredibly dumb motherfuckers in naval history but that would absolutely take the cake

wonder if mcarthur has any descendants in command right now

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

so we just send one of the 4 and not the 14, what's the big deal

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol why are there fuzes that heavy rain will apparently trigger inflight

yelling SHAUN to blow up a tank while it's aiming at me

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Best Friends posted:

imo it depends on how common corporals are in a given mos (every mos has different “cutting score” thresholds to get promoted)

to clarify, the army keeps a running tally of every E4 and E5's good boy points and when they get empty slots at E5 and E6, they grab the first X names on that tally

this means that some people will never get above E4 because there simply aren't any slots because nobody with one of those slots is leaving, and some people will make E6 because they have a pulse and anyone with a brain got out already

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Best Friends posted:

I was proud to fire an AIM-9 Sidewinder at a Chinese aircraft.

But there’s one place an AIM-9 Sidewinder shouldn’t be: American schools

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I dont know why you'd need military coders/ data engineers / scientist or whatever in uniform. These are garrison jobs, you can fill them with DoD civilians and they wont have to meet any of the military physical standards.

Yes, some IT positions will be required in the field for maintainer/operators of information systems. And those are already fielded and I dont think they are having any particular retention issues than the other branches arent also going through right now.

it's more profitable to outsource to private contracting everything that isn't strictly limited to uniformed personnel. civilians count as a government function to do things contractors can't, but they still don't count as "uniformed" for certain purposes.

the ideal military organization is just enough military and civilians to cover those essential functions and then an army of 1099 contractors

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Slavvy posted:

What they should really do is build amphibious tanks that crawl along the sea floor like in total annihilation

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

what happened to the guns

are the wooden tree things supposed to be gun covering tarps?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

Under the current socioeconomic, political, especially ideological system - how are you going to get BAE to make ammunition they don’t want to?

develop a proprietary polymer in the nosecone that retails for more per capita than printer ink

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

NeonPunk posted:

Why would that matter for a television show, were they using live rounds during filming?

you still use blanks during training and every single military unit wanted to be tactical and build a cinderblock and plywood village to practice clearing rooms

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

lobster shirt posted:

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2023/04/10/the-genesis-of-todays-recruiting-crisis/

basically the military, taking advantage of obamacare-mandated electronic medical records and the increasing panopticon we all live under, now has much deeper and more comprehensive access to prospective enlistees medical records. americans, being on the whole a very sick people, are increasingly disqualified, and there's no way around it anymore lol.

can't find it but there was some recruiter upset that a dude in a chicken costume flipping a sign in 90 degree heat gave him the finger rather than listen to a recruiting spiel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

Yeah I don't think they'll be turning away (functioning) people with autism any time soon considering how many oddball latchkey kids are already in.

you do that and fort meade becomes a ghost town