Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Love 2 fight and die for my country. Love 2 fight and die 4 the land of the TSA and the home of high deductible health insurance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

It's wild that there is nothing that can be done to stop all of this except stopping the genocide

Though tbqh I don't think that there's any world in which the US will tolerate the people of Yemen having any kind of world policing authority

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 06:51 on Jan 12, 2024

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

FuzzySlippers posted:

it is possible America already lost WW3 when it blew it’s load in weapons and soft power in Ukraine without success, failed to restrain Israel, and then failed to recognize the need to start fixing anything broken about America to change course. If there isn’t any political will to fix the broken arms industry how is it going to even present a credible defense of Taiwan much less succeed?

These 2030s plans for new wonder weapons that’ll allow for the US to dominate the pacific are straight delusions.

Man the Nazis turning to wonder weapons in a desperate ploy to prevent their inevitable defeat sure we're something.

Not like America would ever do that though

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

It's wild because to me, a novice in naval warfare, it seems like the dominant technology has always been the one that can accurately hit at the longest range. The era of the battleship was defined by large naval cannons that could hit from over the horizon, the era of aircraft carriers was defined by carrier groups carrying hundreds of planes fighting fleets a hundred miles away. Ship and submarine based guided missiles seem like the obvious next step in that evolution, something that can be fired from hundreds of miles away in mass, from relatively cheaply produced ships.

But nah let's build a loving railgun that will destroy itself after 4 shots and have to be replaced

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

luv 2 b brought into the third world war by the staffers pretending to be joe biden approving the strikes written up by the staffers pretending to be the secretary of defense. luv this weekend at bernies hellhole that is run by decrepit husks piloted by ivy league legacy admissions who still haven't learned that other people actually exist, it's not that they're surrounded by highly convincing A.I.

loving owns.

e: at what point does this become a world war? If the U.S. declares war on Iran, where the scope is considered to be the Russia/Ukraine war and the U.S. + Allies vs Iran + allies war? If, after the U.S. and some/all of Nato declare, they begin to mobilize their economy towards war? If other factions in the region join the war? the merging of these potential wars into a collective conflict? some combination of these? though considering "world war" is just a word, just a category that we put particular wars into, I guess this is a pointless question. God drat I want off of mr. biden's wild ride

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 00:01 on Jan 16, 2024

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Cuba let's the US have a whole torture base, idk why Iraq has to be so whiny about everything

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

The Oldest Man posted:

Eventually China will fix this

Yeah.

Eventually China will fix this.

Lmao the U.S. has lost WW3

Eventually China will fix this. the plan is not for U.S. domination in the middle east to fix it. China will.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

tatankatonk posted:

whats with all the TBI diagnoses whenever US troops get missiled? is it just an easy catch-all category? an admin thing where they'll slowly release the actual injury later? an actual effect of the specific weapon?

It takes some time to decide that the brain damage is all preexisting

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://aje.io/r8luep?update=2656151

quote:

Trump says attack on US forces is result of ‘Biden’s weakness’

The former US president and current presidential candidate has hit out at his likely opponent in the general elections in November over the attack that killed three American service members.

“This brazen attack on the United States is yet another horrific and tragic consequence of Joe Biden’s weakness and surrender,” Trump wrote in a social media post.

He added that today’s incident, Hamas’s October 7 attack and the Russian invasion of Ukraine would not have happened if he had still been in power. “Instead, we are on the brink of World War 3,” Trump wrote.

Biden has been facing scathing Republican criticism over the killing of US service members, highlighting how his political opponents will cite the violence in the Middle East to paint him as ineffective.

Still, the US president has vehemently refused to call for a ceasefire to end the war on Gaza.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://aje.io/d5c2x5?update=2658943

quote:

US forces failed to stop attack after ‘confusion’ about drone: Report

US forces failed to identify the deadly drone attack near the borders of Jordan, Syria and Iraq because there was an American drone returning to the base at the same time of the incident, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing US officials.

The US drone’s return “led to some confusion” about the nature of the enemy drone, the officials said.

The Biden administration has blamed Iran-backed Iraqi groups for the attack, but a defence official told the Wall Street Journal that Washington has not found evidence that Tehran directed the attack.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://aje.io/d5c2x5?update=2660203

quote:

Pentagon identifies troops killed in Jordan attack

The US Department of Defense said William Jerome Rivers, 46; Kennedy Ladon Sanders, 24; and Breonna Alexsondria Moffett, 23, were the soldiers killed in the drone attack.

The Pentagon said all three were killed “when a one-way unmanned aerial system (OWUAS) impacted their container housing units”.

Well now we know why so many got got, they were taking a poo poo

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Tactically inserting a beefy five layer, for the troops

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Ardennes posted:

Yeah a quarter of US military members being food insecure seems to bely the whole discussion about how many perks they get. Why take on a risky/stressful job that may leave you dead and/or maimed if you are potentially going hungry? It is just a terrible deal.

Just think of the headlines if a quarter of Russian active duty personnel were going hungry?

You can't even quit early without getting in trouble

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Wow they sound irresponsible maybe we shouldn't give them guns and send them to foreign countries to shoot dudes that Dick Cheney doesn't like

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

No oval office will explain why the gently caress any of us should fight. We've been told society isn't real and its survival of the fittest baby, no hand outs. So what am I fighting for? What am I trying to preserve? Sausage rolls? Binge drinking culture? Ant and dec? gently caress offfffffff m8

Neoliberalism is finally ending the "French" part of the French Revolution. The death of nationalism in the imperial core is coinciding with the beginning of climate doom and a general destabilization due to huge increases in access to information. Going to own

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

What if they just had space x make a landing booster for the rockets so that they can fly in the rockets from anywhere, land on the ship, and toss the transit booster off the edge?

We're being dumb about this, let's just go for it

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

"China bad because they steal intellectual property, unlike us."

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Tiktok would just be filled with a million different ways to dodge lmao

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

fizziester posted:

Source: CNN

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/02/19/politics/us-army-ukraine-support-pressure/index.html

US Army under increasing pressure as it foots bill for Ukraine support
By Haley Britzky and Natasha Bertrand, CNN
5 minute read
Published 12:00 AM EST, Mon February 19, 2024

As funding for Ukraine faces an uncertain future in Congress, the US Army has been left to foot the bill for hundreds of millions of dollars in support for Ukraine’s war effort against Russia over the last few months — and Army officials are increasingly concerned that without new funding, they will have to begin pulling money from other critical projects to continue supporting Kyiv.

Since October 2023, the beginning of the fiscal year, the Army has spent over $430 million on various operations, including training Ukrainian troops, transporting equipment, and US troop deployments to Europe...

... So far, that bill has been paid from the Army’s Europe and Africa Command. Without a 2024 budget approved by Congress, and without additional funding specifically for Ukraine, the command has roughly $3 billion to pay for $5 billion of operations costs, a second senior Army official explained. That includes not only the operations related to Ukraine support — training and ferrying weapons and equipment to Poland and Ukraine — but other operations for the US command throughout Europe and Africa.

If Congress still hasn’t passed new funding for Ukraine within a few months, Army officials say they will have to start making hard decisions and divert money from less critical projects, such as badly needed barracks construction or enlistment incentives amid record-low recruiting...

... “If we don’t get a base budget, if we don’t get Ukraine supplemental [funding package], if the government shuts down, if we get nothing else and nothing changes from today … we will run out of [operations and maintenance] funding in May,” the Army official said. Those operations include training exercises for Army forces in Europe and Africa and equipment moving into the theater. Contracts also wouldn’t be paid on time and would garner penalty fees, he added.

.... wasn't the whole point of funding the Ukraine war to bleed Russia's ability to fight a war for the next decade, at least according to the hawk wonks? I'm not saying that to defend it, that's a monstrous way of looking at the world, but if your goal is to bleed the enemy then wouldn't you want to do a simple cost benefit "is giving Ukraine the funding to fix my moldy lovely barracks worth annihilating the last of my ability to keep a basic trained volunteer force in case of war?" Are any of the wonks looking at Israel's performance, seeing what a bunch of unenthusiastic assholes given guns are failing to accomplish, and deciding that maybe, just maybe, cutting a bit more from the QoL of people in the military maybe isn't the best idea?

If it wasn't going to result in however many thousands more people dying in Ukraine for Lockheed's war profits then I wouldn't even care

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://aje.io/9rxkm3?update=2719078

quote:

Houthis say they downed US drone

The Yemeni armed group says its “air defences” hit an American MQ9 aircraft over the Hodeidah governorate using a locally manufactured ground to air missile “while it was carrying out a hostile mission against our country”.

The group shared footage of what it said was the drone after it was downed.

The US and the UK have been carrying out military raids inside Yemen in response to the Houthis’ attacks on shipping lanes in the Red Sea. The Yemeni group says it is targeting Israel-linked ships to help bring an end to the war on Gaza.

Anyone got the clip?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Lmao I was trying to find the clip and found this bit from a CNN article

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/19/politics/us-investigating-drone-crash-yemen/index.html

quote:

The US has continued its strikes against the Houthis inside Yemen for the group’s ongoing attacks on commercial shipping in the Red Sea. On Saturday, the US conducted five self-defense strikes on three mobile anti-ship cruise missiles, one unmanned surface vessel, and one unmanned underwater vessel in Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen, US Central Command said.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

So the crew optional boats will be controlled by what? Depressed sailors over Starlink? What if the Starlink get jammed like in Ukraine?

I would hope that it would be the ship 500 meters to the left of it, but at that point why are you bothering with uncrewed screening vessels? It seems like you're not getting much out of it

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Tricky D posted:

*slaps the roof of the v-22 osprey*

This baby here has top of the line crashworthy seats. They'll survive any crash so you don't have to.

I'll take 2

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Hatebag posted:

the osprey was ordered because of the failures of operation: eagle claw, the mission to extract american hostages from iran in 1980. that mission failed after delta force murdered some fuel smugglers and then flew straight into a haboob, disabling 3 of the 8 helicopters involved, and then everyone left in a huff. but the osprey intakes have killed dozens of marines because their air intakes didn't have adequate filters so if they suck in a bit of dust they immediately crash

The osprey fills a vital roll in ensuring that there is always a chance to move up in rank so that you don't get drummed out of the service

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Bar Crow posted:

There are only consequences for trying to make anything better.

better not then, just to be safe

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Officer Sandvich posted:

The military really isn't used to being shot at

I guess I hadn't thought about it but do cooks in combat zones have to wear their armor and helmets?

Does the drone operator know if that truck is a troop transport? Hell food supply is possibly seen as just as valid of a target depending on the relative value of a missile. I would wear mine

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

i think the RN recently decided it didn't need logistic vessels

so...

The USN only has 3 salvage recovery ships

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

On Facebook I saw an article about planned Chinese lunar missions racking up a bunch of laugh reacts and openly racist "haha me chinese me make rocket on wish dot com. NASA is actually #1 in space USA!" comments from boomers and it's like. Man. You have not been keeping up on current events.

Companies spent decades shifting all of their production to China as part of a general trend to reduce all costs, which included using lower quality materials and in general cutting the design lifespan to cut costs. People then started mistaking "low quality goods coming from China" with "china only makes low quality goods," and now you have the above.

In truth, the US will lose WW3

also it took me too long to figure out why china wasn't getting hit by the spell check despite not being capitalized. I assume that it's china dishware.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Lmao hell yeah bro go talk to China's manager

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

Europe battles powder shortage to supply shells for Ukraine

"To make powder, you need a specific kind of cotton, which mostly comes from China," he said.

Nitrocellulose, also known as guncotton, is a key ingredient in gunpowder manufacture.

"Would you know it, deliveries of this cotton from China stopped as if by chance a few months ago," Breton added.

lmfao

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

OctaMurk posted:

if you think ferries are cool then I have a bridge to sell you

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Grilled Beef posted:

railways, like nuclear power or universal health care, are fundamentally incompatible with neoliberalism’s vision of property rights. so as a rule, despite all the manifest benefits to them, they are downplayed and excluded for ideological reasons, with those that are still in place being rooted in structures from the mid-20th century rather than seeing modern growth

Broke: eminent domain taking the farm house for a new rail line

Woke: eminent domain taking the neighborhood for a new freeway

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

the algorithm managed to get me to click through to one of the OSINT-adjacent accounts, but it's interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX68_FZl8UE

Ukraine has been using basically drone speedboats to great effect over the past, what, year? This is something that is probably well known in the ukraine thread that I don't really read, but in the context of modern sea warfare it's interesting. The video talks about how a combination of "it being night time" and waves helping to hide the speedboats from radar help the drones get up to Russian ships relatively reliably, which seems like its something that is going to cause a big doctrinal shift over the coming decade or two if countermeasures aren't developed. I can guarantee that if China/Russia/Iran don't have equivalent systems already they're seeing how effective they are, along with drones in general

I assume that the US has these drones, that's gotta be where Ukraine is getting them from, but do they have defenses against them? Does anyone have defenses against them?

They're oddly reminiscent of the Millenium Challenge where the general used suicide speedboats to great effect.

now I just have to clear this guy's video from my history so I don't get anything more from him

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The policy papers from Australia show they deliberately hosed with naval procurement over decades to break up the skilled, high paying, unionized workforce, I would imagine the US did something similar?

It makes sense. shipbuilders, the one thing that an island nation wouldn't want a skilled workforce of

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://aje.io/wn56df?update=2834654

quote:

Netanyahu has convened Israeli war cabinet

The office of the Israeli prime minister says that the war cabinet has convened at military headquarters in Tel Aviv.

This comes shortly after Iran said that it has begun an attack on Israeli territory with drones and cruise missiles.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://aje.io/wn56df?update=2834655

quote:

Iran has launched a direct attack from Iranian soil: Israeli military

Israeli military spokesperson Daniel Hagari has issued a statement in which he said, “We are closely monitoring Iranian killer drones that are en route to Israel sent by Iran”.

“This is a severe and dangerous escalation. Our defensive and offensive capabilities are at the highest level of readiness ahead of this large-scale attack from Iran”.

Israel, ofc, framing this as Iranian escalation

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

The Oldest Man posted:

https://x.com/CBSNews/status/1780360447494967376

going to be exciting when israeli planes that aren't capable of hitting targets inside iran without a pit-stop at a usaf tanker blow something up inside their borders and emperor biden claims he had no idea what prime minister harkonnen was up to

Which wouldn't even pass the sniff test, what else could they have possibly been doing, but the question would then be whether Iran is willing to keep trying strategic patience or whatever they call it with the US. I know that they are done with Israel, but who knows how far that extends

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://aje.io/84b476?update=2862281

quote:

Iran should question effectiveness of weapons after Israel attack: Pentagon chief

US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin made the comment days after Iran launched a barrage of drones and missiles at Israel in retaliation for an attack on an Iranian consulate in Damascus, Syria.

Israel responded shortly after with a limited strike on Iran, as Western leaders warned Israeli officials of wider escalation. The US was among several countries that aided Israel in intercepting the Iranian launches.

“They should be questioning the effectiveness of their weapons systems and their planning,” Austin told reporters.

“Hopefully they don’t walk away from this over-confident that they can do this at will, because I think Israel has demonstrated that it has a significant ability to defend itself,” Austin added.

Anyone got the clip of this yet? Because lmao

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

boldly telling 45 year old Ukrainian men to die in a trench so that America can deter China

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Ignoring that this is all bullshit and my question is pointless because the data is a lie:

Does the cruise missile loss data include the cruise missiles that successfully hit targets?