Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/StevenBeynon/status/1481643227715276807

no one has told texas that they should always be paying their troops huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Tankbuster posted:

Can someone explain the special forces tier one operator space marine fetish please? I recall this particular time where a commonwealth doctrine following line infantry regiment straight up smoked a US trained special forces unit in terrain that special forces were supposed to be dominant in. Hell even in pop history books like charlie wilson's war the US brain trust realised that the Soviets using special forces in regular firefights was a huge L because the situation had become too desperate. Smash cut to the entire post 9/11 world and you have so many special forces units running around and creating their own cult following and are returning home to be giga rightwing cranks.

It's a combination of the US entering forever war with insurgencies all around the globe and the various services wanting to be relevant in the apparent future of no more conventional wars. Small units that can be deployed everywhere and can ideally also punch above their weight are more ideal for this because there's less political hassles, less logistical requirements, and less manpower requirements compared to a standard divisional deployment.

Basically the same reason why the US moved to all the BCTs and slashed their artillery force to the bone: it's easier to use for forever wars with insurgents.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

brigade combat team I assume?
Brigade Combat Team yeah.

With Yellow Peril in full swing the US Army is now moving back into divisional formations.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

Kinda lol that that corps sized formation has a single shorad bn to its name

The other ones also have a single AD battalion so I guess they all have to share the uh 11 or so independent air defense brigades floating around.

aphid_licker posted:

They call it a division but a division should have like two or three brigades, not eight. It's a shitload of stuff, even if the bdes are on the small side probably.

E: like the mech bdes only have the bns to make a regiment, but then it's still enough regiments for two small divisions, plus all the extra stuff

It's basically a HoI 4 40w division compared to the other 20w divisions.

skooma512 posted:

The US really doesn't have much ground based AA capabilities huh.

Like do we even field a long range SAM system ala the SA- series? I understand the US loves fighters and hates cheap effective systems, but lol.

There's Patriot but it's the medium range stuff like Tunguskas, Osas, and Pantsirs that the US lacks the equivalent to.

Danann has issued a correction as of 00:05 on Jan 19, 2022

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Justin Tyme posted:

Patriot's really it, anything larger is geared towards ICBM interception and isn't mobile (or at least isn't meant to shoot and move quick enough to support a maneuver brigade) afaik. Pretty sure Patriot also cannot be fired on the move and has a long setup time.

You get a pod of 4 stingers and a 25mm/30mm cannon and that's it! Good luck, commander! Maybe the navy will invent dirtbreaker technology and steam in some destroyers overland.

install legs instead imo

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

No rocket arty, interestingly. How many tubes is an arty bn? Three times 12, so 36ish?

Apparently 18 tubes for each BN. So about 54 tubes to a division.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

Wow that's kinda not a lot?

There's apparently some field artillery brigades that can add a lot more tubes and rockets to the mix but there's also only like 13 of them and 8 of them are national guard.

The forever war did a number on the field artillery branch and it shows.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

i say swears online posted:

it's also why nuke subs make some sense for a US pacific fleet but zero sense for a chinese or north korean or possibly russian navy

edit i forgot russian subs sitting under the arctic ice for months at a time; nukes make sense for them too. gonna guess ice movement drowns out any nuclear humming but iunno if sonar can isolate signals. also there's a difference between fleet subs and doomsday subs

It's more because nuke subs have basically infinite endurance where the only limitation is literally running out of food and also because nuke subs can go very fast underwater which can mean the difference between escaping a torpedo or acquiring a target.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It doesn't go into that much detail. Littorals are safe because people still buy and use pleasure craft. Anything out on the open ocean is asking for a death sentence though. Islands can only be supplied from the air.

That last part isn't a minor detail either. Mass freight has shifted to gigantic air barges which use up way more fuel than ocean liners because they have to make lift. So everything across the board is more expensive to ship.

Capitalist realism is so hilarious that it cannot fathom trains lmao.

Danann has issued a correction as of 22:38 on Jan 22, 2022

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Any jet can be a boat.

Once.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s possible they only had anodes but I think that would be a dumb choice professionally. they were still designing them way back when I was at the Academy so I don’t know and am only guessing.

removing them and having nothing would be amazingly dumb though.

I’ve just looked it up.

ship is aluminum hulled. piping and pumps in the engine room were stainless. they meet at jets. they didn’t use zinc or impressed current. they added zincs later lol, what a poo poo show.

“The list of deleted items includes something called a "Cathodic Protection System," which is designed to prevent electrolysis.” they cut it to save money. that would have to have had to occurred over significant opposition.

:laffo:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/DefenseCharts/status/1488541148486373379

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/RealAirPower1/status/1490279823981395968?t=lyBT3k_6mIec8QqXbOhtiw&s=19

landing a f-35 like its warthunder

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq6T91hyI6E

who knew a tiger tank can't survive time traveling granite cannonballs

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

Those youtube ballistics simulation guys get pretty weird. They’re also obsessed with Tigers and paper projects, naturally.

They apparently take requests from their comments so it's probably more of an audience thing.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Palladium posted:

soooooo its case #1236119 of "our infra is poo poo because we didn't invest in it lol"

I'm real envious of China's AI ports:

https://twitter.com/chinadaily/status/1430862599982239744

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The superbowl was why I've been hearing fighter jets the entire time!?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

crossposting from eurasia thread:

Frosted Flake posted:

Think of the predicsment of NATO advisors - most of us only had preliminary instruction in conventional war, all of our operational experience is unconventional, and until 2014 I can’t remember any serious exercises or supplemental training on conventional war. As opposed to dozens of hours on room clearing and IEDs.

It’s an interesting problem that’s come up in Canadian exercises - we don’t have Victory Disease, we have Victory Amnesia. All of the knowledge exists, but it’s held at The Schools, or by senior officers who learn it for their career courses and for their wargames and table exercises. There’s cursory knowledge - for the Artillery Forward Observer Detachment course you have to call out targets from the handbook like “1 BMP and 8 dismounts in the open” “1 tank platoon, 3 vehicles, T-72”, whatever, but it was pretty clear that you were ticking a box from an outdated manual. Exercises might have intelligence briefings that say there’s an air threat, but nobody is going to bomb our positions, at most the Umpires will tell our staff X% of us are dead. So if we disperse, it’s to game the Umpires, and not because it’s something that feels “real”, if you know what I mean.

The reason is really simple- say I’m teaching Arty DP1, the basic Artillery qualification. I have the Gun Commander’s Handbook which lays out procedures for things like anti-tank drill and entrenchment. Okay, anti-tank drill is 8 hours of instruction, we haven’t been issued any 105mm HEAT, I’ve only seen those shells in the slides, lectures and tests from my courses. I don’t even know the NSNs to order them from Ammo, and none have been allocated to the course. So we either book a range with Centurion hulks, which doesn’t require quickly traversing the gun against moving targets, no risk of overrun, and firing HE ammo, not HEAT, or we spend an hour reading from the handbook to bored candidates. Which do you think the School snd Course O sign off on, since the course is destined for Afghanistan? Those are 8 hours they could be doing dismounted IED searches, “real” training that will save lives.

Digging in a howitzer by hand takes 12 hours for the gun, another 2 for crew fighting positions, another 6 to dig in the gun tractor (truck), 2 more to link those with communication trenches, minimum 2 hours to camouflage. That’s 3 days of the course. Now, the pamphlet says we’re supposed to call on engineering support so they can do this quickly and dig in deeper. Cool, but the Engineering School is running IED courses and building FOBs with hescos, they aren’t going to send some of their guys with a backhoe to do some obsolete Cold War poo poo like dig in an artillery battery. We either “waste” 3+ days of instruction or read from the handbook for an hour and blow up the diagrams onto handouts or PowerPoints.

and on an on for everything like that. The Command Post Operations handbook says how to set up fireplans so our flashes can’t be spotted or to overwhelm enemy counter-battery radars, alright, so let’s practice that once a year. Roving Gun? Check. Plotting data from firing batteries into “silent” ones so their position is concealed the from enemy until the big day? Check.

Direct fire? Check. We missed the BTR-70 cutout target by dozens of metres, when it was static and skylined, good thing it couldn’t shoot back against our undispersed, uncamouflaged, unentrenched positions because I have a hunch 14.5mm rounds would tear us up. Anyways, well done, battery passes annual qualifying shoot.

The handbook has elaborate procedures for Firing-By-Map, including using our own CB radars to plot our fall of shot, but firing unobserved in Afghanistan ranges from no-no to warcrime, so that’s a command post exercise only. We run the radar course at the same time the Demonstration Battery is firing for other courses, so they’ve seen shells on their screens, and sent that to the CP, but they’re not “really” treating it like life or death.

We have signals guys come in and work with us on EW, we even send our Indoor Kids to learn how to run that into the CP, so enemy radars and signals are plotted, ours are disguised, we work with the Intel shop to determine what activity looks like an artillery position or headquarters, all that poo poo. We’re supposed to be an integrated Brigade-Level EW asset. Cool, well now Sgt so-and-so has this obscure course on his resume and in his qualifications can say “advises the CO on EW threats and procedures”. What’s he do in Afghanistan? Patrol like everybody else not on the gunline.

What about the Carl G’s we have as medium anti-tank weapons? Most people shoot them once in their preliminary training, do the loading and firing drills with dummy ammo annually to stay qualified. M72’s? Shoot them once in training before 2010, after that in the simulator. Pull open the dummy launcher to stay qualified. Javelins? Idk, never saw ours, pretty sure they’re in boxes in the ammo lockup. Eryx? Never saw it, read the pamphlet. The fancy automatic grenade launchers for battery defence? The pamphlet says the HEDP may damage IFVs or inconvenience MBTs, we just set them up for their thermal sights on sentry. Most of this stuff is not even loaded onto vehicles for exercises, let alone used. What’s the point? Taliban haven’t had tanks since 2001.

All of that to say, the institutional incentives were tilted heavily against doing any of this, so the Ukrainians are hosed because all they can learn from us is what’s in the manual.

I’ve mentioned it before but US troops literally have garbage strewn around their uncamouflaged, unentrenched positions for exactly this reason.

Maybe the OSINT guys should be looking at satellite photos of [i]NATO
positions, because the contrast with the Russians is probably striking. They have to squint and guess at what’s going on in photos of the latter, it’s got to be clear as day for the former.

being good at fighting insurgencies means being bad at conventional fighting rip

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

A lot of those platforms tend to not fair well when bullets and shrapnel come towards them and tend to sacrifice capability for economy. 105mm cannon is more versatile in the type of shells that can be used and it has better ballistics compared to its recoilless rifle counterpart.

Basically it's wanting a light tank without telling people they want a light tank. Or armored car rather.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

M8 AGS was to be the new light tank until it canceled after the Cold War. MGS was the functional replacement and is slated to be retired at the end of 2022. There's a new program for a new light tank: https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/IF/IF11859

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/WarintheFuture/status/1497716025604771842

Thread from a Australian major general, looks like we're not going to learn a thing about the recent Russian-Ukraine war and double down on posting wars.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

i say swears online posted:

can we discuss how the capability of the CIA has been deified in the last two weeks? it's possible their image has been rehabbed for a generation

It's not just CIA this time. It's "Intelligence" that's being worshiped so it's stuff like Brown Moses and other computer touchers like the NSA and DIA etc. that are going to be the new hotness.

Especially because you can just stay at home and make epic posts on social media as some drafted kid is sent into the trenches to stare down tanks or drown on a boat.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/ukraine-conflict-assessment-13

quote:

The Russian Ministry of Defense released implausibly low Russian fatality counts for the first time on March 2, preparing the Russian population for the arrival of injured and killed service members back to Russia.

Russia’s Defense Ministry (MoD) released falsely deflated numbers of Russian casualties in Ukraine for the first time on March 2 after previously refusing to disclose any Russian casualties. The MoD is likely preparing the Russian public for Russian casualties as injured servicemembers and caskets begin to return to Russia. Russian MoD Spokesperson Major General Igor Konashenkov claimed that over 2,870 Ukrainians and 498 Russians have died in Russia’s invasion of Ukraine as of March 2.[1] Konashenkov claimed that Russian forces have captured 572 Ukrainian troops as of March 2.[2] Konashenkov denied claims that Russian conscripts and university cadets are participating in the war in Ukraine.[3] A senior Western intelligence official told CNN that Western intelligence counted around 5,800 Russian deaths as of March 1.[4] A Ukrainian military advisor told Reuters that Russian fatalities exceeded 7,000 as of March 2.[5] Locals in Belarus’s southern Gomel Oblast described an influx of Russian servicemembers to civilian hospitals on March 2.[6] Ukraine announced on March 2 that Russian prisoners of war may return to Russia if their mothers meet them at the Russian-Ukrainian border.[7]

lol we're going straight back into the times of taking wehrmacht sick kdr claims with a straight face while tossing out russian sources because they're all perfidy and lies

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The Oldest Man posted:

AFAICT that's not what happened, though. The paratroopers did their flashy air drop and were then promptly shoved off the airport in short order on the 24th. The next day, advancing Russian ground forces retook the airport when they broke through at Ivankiv and then consolidated their position with VDV reinforcements coming via mass helicopter lift.

Which just raises the question of what was the the purpose of the airborne mission in the first place really

The VDV who landed at Gostomel were apparently alive and relieved by the ground troops on the 25th:

https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1497110084933107731

Russian MOD is stating that the VDV at Gostomel managed to land, hold out, and were relieved by ground forces yesterday. BBC's source is saying that the Russians used 200 helicopters for the operation.

https://www.militarynews.ru/story.asp?rid=1&nid=568376&lang=RU

OG Russian posted:

Киев блокирован с запада - Минобороны РФ
25.02.2022 15:35:11
Москва. 25 февраля. ИНТЕРФАКС - Российские военные сообщили о блокировке Киева с западной стороны.
"В настоящее время основные силы воздушно-десантных войск соединились с подразделениями российского десанта на аэродроме Гостомель, обеспечив блокирование города Киева с запада", - сообщил официальный представитель Минобороны РФ Игорь Конашенков.
Он заявил, что подразделения Вооруженных Сил России продолжают выполнение задач в районе Киева и других городов, проявляя мужество и героизм.

1сви ан мл

Google Translate posted:

Kyiv blocked from the west - Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation
25.02.2022 15:35:11
Moscow. 25 February. Interfax - The Russian military announced the blockade of Kyiv from the western side.
"At present, the main forces of the airborne troops have joined forces with Russian landing units at the Gostomel airfield, blocking the city of Kyiv from the west," Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said.
He stated that the units of the Russian Armed Forces continue to carry out tasks in the area of ​​Kyiv and other cities, showing courage and heroism.

1svi an ml

https://twitter.com/LindseyMastis/status/1497189682878291981

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

KomradeX posted:

I get the distinct feeling that the US is unprepared for an enemy that can actually shoot back, and bring the same level of firepower we do.

going to meme warfare ourselves into losing entire squadrons of f-35s because what are the incompetent russians going to do launch cruise missiles at the airbase

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Which version of the F-35 is going to be on sale as a premium when it inevitably appears.

I'm thinking it's the B version.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

for all your tankie modeling needs

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Posting Russian BTG OOB visualization in here for easy reference in the future ( and also because globalsecurity gets annoying with the paywall):

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

apparently there are carrier killers on surface botes now
https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1516520842334720006

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

huh that's a lot of stuff i didn't realize was important for industrial applications

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Can't just leave us hanging like that. Got a link?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

if you think about it boats are just large self propelled guns that travel on water instead of land

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

What’s up with all of the collisions and peacetime deaths in the USN the past few years?

gotta show china the flag in order to prove we're not a dying empire

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

U/R crosspost:
https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-biden-kyiv-business-europe-70535a0ca1e616f387911c66451c8c51

quote:

Biden visits Lockheed plant as weapons stockpile strained
By AAMER MADHANI and BEN FOX
5-7 minutes

TROY, Ala. (AP) — President Joe Biden on Tuesday credited the assembly line workers at a Javelin missile plant for doing lifesaving work in building the antitank weapons that are being sent to Ukraine to stifle Russia’s invasion as he made a pitch for Congress to approve $33 billion so the U.S. can continue to hustle aid to the front lines.

“You’re allowing the Ukrainians to defend themselves,” Biden told the workers, his podium flanked by Javelin missile launchers and shipping containers. “And, quite frankly, they’re making fools of the Russian military in many instances.”

The president toured the Lockheed Martin factory in Alabama and said Ukrainian parents are naming their children “Javelin” or “Javelina” because of the weapons’ successes.

“Every worker in this facility and every American taxpayer is directly contributing to the case for freedom,” Biden said.

The president’s visit also drew attention to a growing concern as the war drags on: Can the U.S. sustain the cadence in shipping vast amounts of arms to Ukraine while maintaining a healthy stockpile it may need if conflict erupts with North Korea, Iran or elsewhere?

The U.S. has provided at least 7,000 Javelins, including some transferred during the Trump administration, or about one-third of its stockpile, to Ukraine in recent years, according to an analysis by Mark Cancian, a senior adviser with the Center for Strategic and International Studies international security program. The Biden administration says it has committed to sending 5,500 Javelins to Ukraine since the Feb. 24 invasion.

Analysts also estimate that the United States has sent about one-quarter of its stockpile of shoulder-fired Stinger missiles to Ukraine. Raytheon Technologies CEO Greg Hayes told investors last week during a quarterly call that his company, which makes the weapons system, wouldn’t be able to ramp up production until next year, due to parts shortages.

“Could this be a problem? The short answer is, ‘Probably, yes,’” said Cancian, a retired Marine colonel and former Office of Management and Budget specialist on Pentagon budget strategy, war funding and procurement programs.

He added that Stingers and Javelins were where “we’re seeing the most significant inventory issues” and that production of both weapons systems has been limited in recent years.

The Russian invasion offers the U.S. and European defense industry a big opportunity to bolster profits as lawmakers from Washington to Warsaw are primed to increase defense spending in response to Russian aggression. Defense contractors, however, face the same supply chain and labor shortage challenges that other manufacturers are facing, along with some others that are specific to the industry.

Biden noted that each Javelin produced requires 200 computer chips, but semiconductors are in short supply and limiting the availability of everything from autos to kitchen appliances. Biden is urging that legislation be approved to fund the manufacturing of computer chips in the U.S., though that is a longer-term fix to immediate pressures that militaries, businesses and consumers face now.

The war will mean increased sales for some defense contractors, including Raytheon, which makes the Stinger missiles that Ukrainian troops have used to knock out Russian aircraft. The company is also part of a joint venture with Lockheed Martin that makes the Javelins.

Lockheed Martin’s facility in Troy, Alabama has the capacity to manufacture about 2,100 Javelins per year. Biden’s trip overlapped with his push for an additional $33 billion in security and economic assistance for Kyiv. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said Monday he hoped quick bipartisan agreement on the security package could be reached so the Senate could begin considering it “as early as next week.”

Pentagon press secretary John Kirby said Monday that America’s military readiness is not dependent on one system. He said that every time the Pentagon develops a package of weapons and systems to send to Ukraine, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the department do an assessment on what the impact will be on readiness.

“It’s not about counting, say, Javelins and being able to say that when you reach a certain level then all your readiness is gone,” Kirby said. “The Javelin is an anti-armor capability, so we judge it all as a conglomerate of what’s our ability to meet this particular mission set, realizing that a Javelin isn’t the only capability you have against armor.”

The lightweight but lethal Javelin has helped the Ukrainians inflict major damage on Russia’s larger and better-equipped military. As a result, the weapon has gained almost mythic regard, celebrated with a Javelin song and images of Mary Magdalene carrying a Javelin becoming a meme in Ukraine.

Lockheed Martin CEO James Taiclet said in a recent CNBC interview that demand for the Javelin and other weapon systems would increase broadly over time because of the Russian invasion. He said the company was working “to get our supply chain ramped up.”

“We have the ability to meet current production demands, are investing in increased capacity and are exploring ways to further increase production as needed,” Lockheed Martin, which is based in Bethesda, Maryland, said in a statement.

bitcoin choked the mic lol

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Cool thread on Maori forts:
https://twitter.com/Paracelsus1092/status/1451912957860909058

quote:

Thread concerning the development of Maori fortifications and engineering works spanning the years 1840-1869 with special attention paid to the role of projectile defense adaptations and earthen work formations to repel Her Majesty's Armed Forces. From Ian Knight's book, listed.

Crucial from the outset was the radically different role the 'pa', the fortified village, served after the Musket Wars and now against the British. The aim was to control and hold land, frustrate settler expansion and execute specific military objectives.
To this end the 'pa' was used to threaten survey parties, control roads, prevent encampments and hold strategic ground. The 'pa' could make use of old European buildings, landscape features and were used by the Maori for tactics including ambushes and attrition warfare.

The 'pa' were so successful that "for the most part the British were unable to evict the Maori from their positions by force". It took the British ten weeks to dig sapping trenches to the pa in Te Arei in 1861, where the Maori sued for peace, left and built another pa elsewhere.

So let's look at some of the features of these fortifications.

The 1840s pa modified earlier designs, the palisades were roped individually rather than in groups, so shell fire only took down individual stakes, rather than sections. Sacking was cleverly placed on the rear to minimise wood splinter injuries.
Ruapekapeka is a good example of an early pa, modified from pre colonial methods to suit artillery and musket threats.

Trenches began to be dug, underground placements and living quarters and the roofs piled with earth, the palisades strengthened with rubble and flax cloth used to dampen projectile power.

The power of geometry began to be more fully exploited, with pas designed in parallelograms or with zigzag corners, providing crossfire positions.

An account like this one - Hone Heke’s pa of Ohaeawai, in the Bay of Islands district - shows the effectiveness of combining palisade defences with interior trench systems and well designed methods to maximise the firearms the Maori had.

By the time we hit the 1860s, the Maori fully appreciated the role of artillery fire and the stockades became less important, while trenches only increased. Pas were positioned in the landscape to funnel British troops and dominate superior positions.

The Pa became tangled mazes of walls, trenches, pits, banks, wooden obstacles and barriers, all designed to pin troops down, push them into chokepoints, protect themselves against shell fire and provide a means of escape and rearguard action.

British military thinking during the 1840s was to dominate the pas and capture them, believing it would devastate defender morale. In fact the Maori had no emotional attachment to them and regularly abandoned them after days of intense struggle, bewildering British command.

By the 1860s, more aware of this tactic, the British often attempted to flank the pa to catch the retreating Maori who responded with counter measures themselves. The battlefields became more complex with lines of attack, retreat and counter moves.

Counter-engineering work proved to be a lengthy but successful method in assaulting the pas.

The extension of trenches foreshadowed the Western Front, with the Maori extending trenches across the landscape, building small walls and long complex dugouts, living quarters, supply and communication lines and multiple lines of defence.
Another account, showing how much more advanced the pas had become in the 1860s.

Ultimately the pa were defeated by 30 yrs of experience combined with more ruthless tactics such as burning crops, cutting the bush and forest around the pa and employing other Maori in each assault. Eventually enough settlers moved onto Maori territory to stop them being built.

Many pa remnants still survive today, a testament to the skill and bravery of the Maori in defending their land.

Please add any pictures below if you've visited any pa.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Breakfast All Day posted:

but the planefuckers threads assured me the f35 being a boondoggle was a meme for low info chumps and its great & practical, actually

imagine if the stealth concept turns out to be a bust and the f-35 is reduced to flying low just like its older cousins lol

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

DJI Mavics are the new Toyota Hiluxes of the 21st Century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

That's only because slavs aren't riding around in technicals and instead sitting back and lobbing explosives at each other. Not a single real dzhigit among them.

those old, possibly expired artillery rounds aren't going to shoot themselves!