Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Doesn't the pla regularly get assigned to civil engineering projects? Seems like a good way to have the military do something productive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

the new battlefield had network enabled scopes that had little Wi-Fi icons that would fluctuate randomly and everyone made fun of it for being stupid as poo poo but then it turned out it was a real product in development for the us military

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Jel Shaker posted:

what like the wifi on the scope was doing something with the image?

I think the scope was hooked up to The Cloud and streamed data to commanders or something? the kind of boondoggle that the mic loves but now with more IoT hype

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

sullat posted:

The entire character of a base and its inhabitants can be absorbed in a quick trip to the Rec Commons. The sweaty arenas of Fort Legion, the glittering gambling halls of Morgan Bank, the sunny lovers' trysts in Gaia's High Garden, or the somber reading rooms of U.N. Headquarters. Even the feeding bay at the Hive gives stark insight into the sleeping demons of Yang's communal utopia.

Commissioner Pravin Lal, "A Social History of Planet"

Pravin Lal talking about decorum and the UN charter while everyone else were doing things like doing genocide with mindworms or creating mindless flesh automatons was a pretty good portrait of impotent liberalism

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

Before and during the American Civil War, America briefly experimented with having a proper army.

reading stuff about the Mexican American war and it’s nuts how much fancier the Mexicans are

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

didn’t one of the cods have nazbols take over Russia and they’re the main enemy

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

I've never felt so understood on this forum 🙏

(PS, Prayer hands come from the traditional gesture of fealty to a patron and later liege, kneeling and placing your hands in theirs)

didn’t the barbarian kingdoms maintain separate legal systems, with Germanic law for the Germanics and Roman law for everyone else? are later systems descended from one set in particular with the other one falling out of use or did they end up with a single synthesized system when the distinction between Roman and barbarian disappeared?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

the pla is always doing civilian infrastructure projects, but I can’t really recall the last time the us military contributed to a public works project aside from the corp of engineers loving up in Katrina

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

FuzzySlippers posted:

did AC have a proper sci-fi novelist writing those? They were so much better than what you see in most games

I think the guy who wrote them, Brian Reynolds, was the one competent writer at firaxis bc as soon as he left their writing went to poo poo. it doesn’t usually matter bc it just manifests as very uninspired civ tech quotes but whenever they make something that requires world building like xcom or that beyond earth it’s extremely noticeable

xcom 2 with an Alpha Centauri level treatment of the premise of a guerilla war against aliens would have been so cool.
instead we got factions like the human supremacists who eat aliens and have no other characterization

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Hatebag posted:

we were robbed of marxist guerilla xcom2. farc, the naxalites, the ndfp
in the first one there’s a mission where xcom kidnaps an anti xcom politician and is implied to disappear him to a black site or something while in xcom 2 xcom basically uses IRA type tactics but there’s zero follow up on either, not even safe “wow violence is bad” liberal stuff

like there’s just zero mention of it at all bc firaxis can’t do any kind of world building or writing

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

FuzzySlippers posted:

Has any game ever done insurgent warfare particularly well either from a narrative or gameplay perspective? Games, like Hollywood movies, have always been a lot more comfortable with CI.

I remember there's space rear end in a top hat Red Faction Guerilla which at least has a lot of infrastructure destruction. I don't recall narratively in JA2 whether you were helping the CIA support the noble contras kind of crap or not, but gameplay wise I recall it was a lot of mowing down endless grunts as the a-team rather than managing an insurgency. Sometimes in games you play a metal gear solid spy kind of thing, but I don't really think that's an insurgent.

I think ja2 heavily implies if not outright states that Deidrianna is backed by the US/NATO, since Ira has a line about hating America bc it’s always loving up other countries, the alruco elite troops all using high end NATO equipment, and the foreign scientists and military advisors mostly being westerners

the new jagged alliance has a communist rebel group operating in the same country and from what I recall they’re treated as sympathetic if too idealistic which makes sense since it’s the tropico devs and the communists in that series are always the most reasonable faction

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

The Oldest Man posted:

holy poo poo lmao

I saw a trailer of that in theaters and assumed it was some urban fantasy reimagining since it had dudes in black bloc hurling molotovs

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Like the numbers probably dont count the lifetime maintenance cost which will be astronomical given there are only 3 of them

didn’t that thing have some stupid warhammer railgun that used proprietary ammo that was immediately discontinued so it had to get scrapped and replaced with a conventional gun

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah the warhammer guys get props for admitting brits are not human

isn’t Britain in warhammer a land of subhuman swampmen who have less lore than warhammer China did before the total war games

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

DancingShade posted:

Just give them star trek cosplay jumpsuits. That's what they probably want.

edit - it occurs to me that "guardians" was probably a Destiny video game reference. Eyes up guardian! Fallen are approaching.

the guardians all have moderate brain damage in that game due to unexpected side effects of their wunderwaffe which seems appropriate for space force too

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Grilled Beef posted:

You are 25 years behind

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_Air_and_Space_Global_Laser_Engagement

Got a lot of money in the Bush years. course every crackpot idea did. But ground based laser, you shoot it at a blimp that is hanging a mirror off it, and the laser reflects off the mirror to the target

popular Science/Mechanics loved printing every ad copy of a new weapon system back there as the next big thing that would kill all the terrorists

all the dumbest units in command and conquer were generally ripped from the headlines

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

You're going to have a read egg on your face when Charlemagne/Heinrich the Fowler/Arthur awake from their slumber under the mountain to restore the empire in its hour of greatest need.

they’re gonna awake when Serbian Diocletian breaks his chains and escapes to end the world https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dukljan

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

bedpan posted:

iirc this is Carlism

wasn’t that the ultra reactionary monarchist movement whose pretender turned out to be a leftist so all his followers had to adopt leftist positions bc if you’re a reactionary monarchist questioning the will of the king is treason

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I remember a Vietnam vet telling me they’d sometimes nick little bits of c4 off to use as fuel to heat their field rations with

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

wasn’t there a vr milsim where they attached a shock collar to the rig for training cops or troops not to freak out with pain

I bet if they commercialized that there’d be hardcore pain only servers you’re not allowed to turn it off bc immersion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

my fav gauss gun is the necron one from 40k that has zero resemblance to what a gauss gun is and was clearly named by some 80s writer who thought gauss guns were just a fictional sci-fi term and not a real thing

I think they later retconned it to being named after a guy named gauss that discovered them in universe