Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
While I appreciate that our money is being spent on ships that are all useless instead of ones that are useful in war, I do wish it were spent on not the military instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Best Friends posted:

America has a clear game plan on winning asymmetrical wars: complain the other guys did not fight fair, torture and kill a lot of civilians, and then say you won actually after you get kicked out of the country.

the millenium challenge way!

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
So not one particular "this gun defined a generation of warfare", but a fuckton of improvements on support hardware?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
https://www.reddit.com/r/gamersupps/comments/ru6xn3/the_problem_with_gamersupps_waifu_cups/
lmfao they slapped the shittiest printed logo possible on a dollar store protein shaker. if you want to actually use the cup you have to put a clear sticker over the logo to protect it like it's a mid-teens smartphone

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

The Oldest Man posted:

those arent for drinking out of, theyre decorative items for the background of your watertok videos

but they sell drink mixes with the cups

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
maybe if you had a flexible ring that could ever-so-slightly protrude from the profile of the shell while it was in the air? time the servos with the rotation rate so you have consistent drag on one side?

like yeah it's all silly and pointless but I AM curious how they'd work

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

The Oldest Man posted:

I've been wondering about this ever since the drone swarm sims showed patriot batteries getting owned by flying lawn mowers

Instead of fancy guided projectiles, wouldn't it be a lot more economical to put the smarts on the mount(s) and use your radar or irst track to generate a spatial projection of "here are all the places the target could be in the three seconds it will take our projectile to get there based on its current location, speed, and known or estimated flight performance parameters," compute a grid fire solution that fills every square inch of that cone with shrapnel, and then the munitions themselves are just conventional timed airburst HE

but i guess putting a big beard and oakleys on every shell is the high speed low drag precision fires way of thinking

so a really big shotgun?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Ahahaha the sub hunter can't hunt subs

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
There's IR wavelengths that the atmosphere are transparent to. No idea if they'd be useful for weapons though.

Also my layperson rear end would worry about a countermeasure rocket that's a bunch of retro reflectors on a missile. You try to shoot down a missile and everyone on deck has permanent eye damage from the scattered light

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

quote:

During the Second World War, researchers in Nazi Germany discovered the advantages of the swept wing for transonic flight, and also its disadvantages at lower speeds. The Messerschmitt Me P.1101 was an experimental jet fighter which was, in part, developed to investigate the benefits of varying wing sweep.[6] Its sweep angle mechanism, which could only be adjusted on the ground between three separate positions of 30, 40, and 45 degrees, was intended for testing only, and was unsuitable for combat operations.[6] However, by Victory in Europe Day, the sole prototype was only 80 per cent complete.[7][8]
Development
Wing pivot mechanism of a Panavia Tornado during overhaul
MIG-23 sweep wing mechanism

Following the end of the conflict, the partially complete P.1101 was recovered and transported to the United States, where it was studied in depth by Bell Aircraft. However, due to a lack of documentation as well as some structural damage sustained,[9][8] Bell decided against completing the aircraft itself. Instead, a close copy, known as the Bell X-5, was constructed with wings that enabled the sweep angle to be altered mid-flight.

okay so wait. the nazis are doing some basic research on which wing angle works best. the USA studied the plane and said "aha! they were clearly doing some genius thing with the movable wings! let's perfect their design!". the plane's design is the result of a game of telephone?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
how many millions of dollars went into R&D because we thought the Nazis were mega-ultrahyper-geniuses for putting a hinge in the wing?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
You don't understand, you can't imagine the horrors. So how could you possibly know you don't want to see them?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
ngl i've given serious thought to learning mandarin and trying to get an academic job in china

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

hamas ftw posted:

hypothetically how would one go about moving to china? do u call up the embassy or check for job openings or what

in my case it would probably involve taking a postdoc job at a Beijing research institute or something. i have no idea how you'd do it if you can't plug yourself into existing structures

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
the USA played Doom Eternal and is developing weapons to defeat the Icon of Sin when he arises from the Pacific Ocean

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
TBI talk got me remembering that blast gauge program that got shut down in 2016 and I found this case study about the sensors they were using.

the experiment was set up so that the sensors detect pressure events, and call them as red, amber, or green, based on the severity of the impact. this summary doesn't have specifics on the pressure levels and I didn't go looking. they record all pressure events. a poo poo-ton of them can't be analyzed, a bunch happened while the soldier wasn't wearing a helmet, a bunch couldn't be linked reliably to a medical record or soldier, lots of data issues. but they did get some data to analyze. there's a summary of an interesting conference talk in the summary:

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/trecms/pdf/AD1065366.pdf

quote:

To highlight the current state of sensors as a potential screening tool for mTBI, Colonel Greene presented preliminary data from the Known Events Tracker (Figure 3), a list of PCEs defined by the four criteria set forth by the DoD. From this list of events, 378 occurred while the service member was outfitted with a sensor. Of these 378 events, sensors triggered a warning (defined as a red or amber light output) in 12 cases; 9 of the 12 warnings were eventually confirmed concussions, a positive predictive value of 75%. The sensors issued no warning (defined as a green light or no output) in 366 of the events, 121 of which were confirmed concussions. Therefore, the sensitivity of the sensor was 9/130 (6.9%, Figure 3). In other words, the sensors missed 93.1% of concussions amongst the potentially concussive events
or, to put it another way: the threshold for pressure wave intensity that can cause a concussion is horrifyingly low. those "green" events are the ones that can be detected by the sensor but weren't thought to be worth caring about. the ones small enough that it's not worth changing the indicator on the unit. and half of the people exposed to green-class events got concussions.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
https://twitter.com/De__Havilland/status/1751738010893177040?t=c-gcDwy7Z7P2n2CUyCoUow&s=19

We used to have fun things

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Iran-backed IJC?

clearly the "I" stands for Iran

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
you want the White House staff to know off-hand where we have troops? who do you think they are, the office of the commander in chief or something?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Oneiros posted:

automatically scuttles the ship when it gets within three miles of a competing shipyard

lol someone in europe did that with train cars. put gps units in them that lock up the engine if they detect they're in a third party repair site

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvQnw_DCJxg

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Samwise shouldn't even know what potatoes are. The LotR cycle was intended to be a faux mythology for prehistoric Europe, while potatoes are a New World crop. He should be lauding turnips or something.

I mean, it's just Peter Jackson putting a little bit of levity in and giving the movies some real soul, but still.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Bar Crow posted:

The LotR movies also prominently feature corn, tomatoes, and tobacco. Also, like Middle Earth used to have a couple of big lamps instead of the sun and moon so the geography has been rearranged at various points.

sure, and the Valar did... something to make Numenor fall and cut off access to Valinor. But all those events happened far in the distant past before the events of the books and movies. I can't recall any big rearrangements of the globe between that period and known history.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Hatebag posted:

the elves took all the potatoes and tobacco with them when they hosed off to elfland

typical loving elves

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Bar Crow posted:

Europeans probably just wiped out all these crops on their continent through mismanagement like they did to silphium.

:hmmyes:

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
ace combat makes warthunder look like MS flight sim

fun as gently caress though

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

roddenberry was a horny old goat and I love him for it

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
i think it's kind of interesting for DS9 to come along and say "yeah that utopia poo poo was horsepiss"

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
a scorpion riding a scorpion's back

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
getting a good lol at the "bpa-free" sticker

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
There's a bit in Stephenson's REAMDE where a character becomes mega-wealthy because they gameified and gigified basic digital functions into their MMO's world. The example given in the book is that airport security cameras are monitored by people playing not-WoW, watching for goblins and orcs walking the wrong way through a fantasy hallway.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
lol i would love to see that case go to trial

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
You see, in America we don't directly fund our media, we just make sure that media contrary to national interest is marginalized and we reward media that aligns with our interests. It's a very different thing and it means you can ALWAYS trust the media.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

What the gently caress happened in 2010 that made Selective Service status requests shoot up? source

anyway the gist of the article is that while they basically never actively go after people who refuse to register with Selective Service, it's still set up to bureaucratically gently caress your life up

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
The US Navy is introducing their Bastila Initiative. They are beginning a search for a unique individual capable of motivating and coordinating an entire combat force using only transcendental meditation.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
rum is made from sugarcane

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The Osprey has a really hosed up transmission system, doesn't it? Someone tried to explain it once and it just seemed worse than either a twin engine plane or twin rotor helicopter in every way, though I'm not very mechanically inclined.

Each pod on the wings has its own engine but the engines are linked through the center to an auxiliary power unit by segmented shafts

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Delta-Wye posted:

lol, lmao

well were the seats crashworthy!?!?

yes, they were present in the crash

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Listen they said the seats were crashworthy. They didn't say anything about the passengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
just make the plain out of the seats, i don't know why this is so hard