Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

BULBASAUR posted:

my fave bit of cyberpunk world building is that shipping on oceans is impossible because there are swarms of rouge hunter killer submarines leftover from a previous war

Which book/series is this from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

pygmy tyrant posted:

iirc that was because the cathodic protection system, a chunk of zinc bolted to the hull that you will find on pretty much anything that touches salt water, was eliminated in some cost cutting session.

They gave half the contract to a shipbuilder on the great lakes. You can't expect them to know about salt water. If the Toledo war happens again the LCS will kick rear end.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

vyelkin posted:

one time they did an audit of the nuclear missile silos and discovered that maintaining all the elaborate checks and balances to make it difficult to launch nukes was too much work so the guys staffing the place had just set all the password to 00000000 to make it easy to launch everything, also they were all on drugs and going insane

I wonder how much of them going insane had to do with the two man rule. You go through training and it's all esprit de corps rah rah die for your teammates, then you get stationed and told to assume your teammates are all commie spies at all times. The guy who punched a whole in the side of a missle in Command and Control said his solution was him and his maintenance partner just disregarded the two man rule at all times and went about their business in the interst of time, but I have to imagine there were people who took it more seriously and it hurt their brains.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Palladium posted:

"maintenance work" is synonymous to "an unnecessary item to cost cut to the moon" for management types

The first factory job I had the maintenance manager had a sign over his office door that said "good maintenance is expensive, bad maintenance is extravagant." I still remember it almost 20 years later because every new place I go I end up thinking drat, we're some extravagant mother fuckers up in here.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Ardennes posted:

or that it is still crew loaded gun.

Is that really so bad though? I haven't seen any real data either way, just internet arguments, but the fact you have an extra guy for watch/maintenance/crew casualties and a loader can get the first few rounds off as fast or faster than an autoloader, plus the fact it's one less thing that can break, make it seem like a horse apiece.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Fincantieri has billboards up all over the state that have a big picture of the LCS that say "Building Freedom" lol. They can't keep employees and the ship dissolves in water so I can only assume something like 2/3rds of the budget went to straight embezzlement. Between this and the JLTV being a bloated piece of poo poo Wisconsin is taking Ls left and right.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah once you get down to 15 knots there some sailboats that can intercept you.

Yeah pretty much any trimaran. God drat you other, non-rusting, LCS for sullying the reputation of trimarans, the coolest looking boats.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
The VA is going to be wetting some beaks aka doing facial reconstructive surgery when these bad boys start exploding. The US can't procure a boat that doesn't rust and they want us to believe their high powered round of the future isn't going to grenade these guns left right and center.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Pryor on Fire posted:

The reality is that it's just impractical to film a bunch of F35s flying around for a few weeks. That would cost the Navy or Air Force years of maintenance time and hundreds of millions in costs to fix everything that breaks off to film the Top Gun movie. The F/A 18 doesn't have to sit in the hangar for a month after every landing so it's just simpler to use that.

The story doesn't matter at all, they have the F14 shooting down two SU57s which is already Wile Coyote vs Roadrunner levels of magical bullshit. They might as well throw in a Game of Thrones dragon and some X Wings getting shot down, same thing.

The first SU57 to die was the most realistic thing in the movie, they died from a sneak attack they let happen through hubris.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Pryor on Fire posted:

No even if you just park the SU57 directly in front of the F14 and start in the worst possible situation for the SU57 it is completely impossible for the F14 to win that fight.

Why not? If they are parked right by an F-14 giving them hand signals and they get blasted with its cannon are they just going to tank it?

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

I was watching some videos on youtube to try to find out some facts about the J-20. About the only thing I learned is that no one in the west knows poo poo about it, but there was a very funny thread in one of the comment sections of people convinced that an increase in export F-16s being produced in the last few years is due to the fact the F-16 will easily destroy the J-20 which is a half baked copy of the F-35. This feels like that western chauvinism I've been hearing about.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Wow they all broke, better order a shitload of the new B-21s.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1605027744819077121?s=20&t=g2EYVKqOm4gpUymU4yWD5g

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Cuttlefush posted:

that's how you beat jets with biplanes in warthunder

Same IRL.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Why would a tech college be making a stealth plane? It looks more like a fuel efficiency thing to me.

e: it is
https://twitter.com/jesusfroman/status/1620324140866744320?s=20

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Lol they really were afraid the pilot would crash into it, why use a missle and not the cannon otherwise.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

gradenko_2000 posted:

He's gonna run for Congress as a Democrat

Lead pipe lock of the century.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Unbelievable, Iran has been doing a genocide this whole time and needs to be stopped

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

mawarannahr posted:

Unfortunately they don't have much to work with beyond that:

quote:

Some potential recruits also fail to pass the aptitude test required to join the Army, called the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, or ASVAB. Last fall, Army leadership said post-pandemic only about one-third of applicants passed the ASVAB, down from about two-thirds pre-pandemic.

WTF did they make the ASVAB harder or something? It's got whole sections for shop kids even, my impression was it's designed so everyone can kind of pass some part of it and go somewhere in the army.

All the local Kwik Trips are hiring at $16, $18 for third shift. Go straight from high school to stocking gas station shelves and make more than a newly minted E5, do it at night and it's more than an E6.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Mister Bates posted:

I think we've had conversations about this in other threads before but China produces more steel than every other country on the planet combined, and the second and third place producers are the I and the R in 'BRICS' (with the B at 10, and Iran sitting at #11)

incoming renewed interest in the neutron bomb by the US. Clear those pesky chinese out of those nice factories and claim them.

LOL flaunt it if you got it.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

lobster shirt posted:

isnt this true of like everything in the military? stuff breaks or just needs to go offline for routine maintenance, guys get sick or hurt, etc. in any large organization you aren't ever going to be at 100% capacity.

IDK how the military accounts for things, but you should in theory be able to have squadrons at 100% readiness without having all the planes working because there should be spares, especially for machines that need maintenance after every time they are used. LOL at that F-35 readiness rate though. I've see people in comments sections saying all of NATO should be buying the F-35, it's performs better and is cheaper to maintain than the Eurofighter, Rafale, or Gripen, and that just does not seem possible.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Hatebag posted:

Mortars have a muzzle velocity around 90 m/s, howitzers fire at 830 m/s. It's similar to how a silencer for a pistol reduces muzzle velocity below the speed of sound, so you could think of a mortar as a tiny silenced howitzer
Speed of sound is around 350 m/s

Suppressors don't slow down the bullet down, rather they give the muzzle gasses a controlled place to expand and depressurize. Basically instead of having a poo poo load of gas squeezed into the barrel and letting it fly off everywhere at extreme pressure (and volume) after the bullet leaves the barrel you have the same amount of gas and let it expand ~20x more before letting it out in the wild, with a corresponding drop in pressure. You need subsonic ammunition or there will still be a supersonic crack from the bullet.

Frosted Flake posted:

Ironically it's the radar-absorbent materials on the F-35.

Which raises a lot of questions because I'm sure this isn't good for their stealth properties either.

The middle guy looks like he's got a missile on the wing hardpoint so they must just be going YOLO no stealth.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Ardennes posted:

Crossposting: Here is a portion of the executive analysis of a RUSI report published back on February 22nd:

• To regenerate proficiency in high-end warfighting mission sets, air forces must reduce discretionary commitments such as counterterrorism focused deployments. At present, with the scale of ongoing activity, most air forces, including the RAF, lack the necessary maintenance, spares and aircrew capacity to conduct focused warfighting training at scale.

Stop bombing Africa and the middle east to prepair for real war challenge, difficulty:impossible.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

I'm thinking he meant traditional twin engines, not 1+2 vertical ones.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Bar Ran Dun posted:

brown water tug / laker folks.

the hulls on the Great Lakes just never corrode. there are hundred + year old ship hulls on the lakes. some of the tugs are … older.

these also aren’t yards that would have had experience with galvanic corrosion on mixed metal hulls. The bigger bluewater shipyards do.

it was exceptionally stupid the first time. I don’t like the brown water / blue water divide/snobbery in the US, but lol there it is. and they’re doing it again. lmao.

They built subs during WWII, they know about galvanic corrosion. This is more like musk, they are going to do things wrong out of FIRST PRINCIPLES to make sure it still needs to be done that way. Unlike musk, they aren't doing it that way because they are dumbasses, they just know they can get paid for the work and the rework.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

stephenthinkpad posted:

Some of the Honda hybrid cars use a gas engine to generate electricity to power an electric motor for efficiency and noise reason. Also Honda just suck at EV.

That's the Chevy Volt as well, but everyone who has one of those swears by them instead of saying they suck. Series-hybrid is probably going the way of the dodo in cars but it definitely has its place.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s how all hybrids work +regenerative braking.

Most hybrid cars don't work like that actually. The gas engine or generator running solely to produce electricity that is then used by electric drive motors is called series-hybrid, the only cars that did it were the Volt, the I3, whatever Honda that guy was talking about, and some weird boutique car companies. That's also what trains use, and, more recently, sailboats are getting big into having one generator that powers electric motors that can be used for propulsion or energy recovery. Other cars are parallel-hybrid, the engine can charge the batteries or drive the wheels directly.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Remember after 9/11 when everyone was convinced nukes were going to get smuggled in through containers? It was such a concern it became a minor plot point in the Sopranos. AFAICT nothing has been done about that so China is probably the country with a missile shield in the form of containers with tactical nukes placed near airforce bases and silos. And if they haven't done that they should ship at least one over along with a press release, harbor mining style.

Thoguh posted:

I dunno, do you remember on 9/11 when every single person was convinced that their town was next to get hit? If they had a base it was because of that. If they didn't have a base it was because of some company in town being important for reasons. If they didn't have that it was because of being at an important crossroads or some poo poo. And it kept going down the list. I feel like that same energy would exist if the missiles started flying.

The Georgia Pacific paper mill in Green Bay had the first floor of it's admin building as covered parking, about a hundred spots, with offices starting on floor 2. They closed it off in 2002 because what if someone parked a car bomb under there to take it out, better to make the office workers park in Timbuktu everyday. They never told anyone this after they first announced it in 2002 so anyone hired after then didn't know why. In one of the yearly TSA meetings, held because the mill is also technically a port because it gets coal deliveries by boat, the psycho head of security mentioned it when he was talking about risk assessment and when asked "is that REALLY the reason we can't park there?" had a meltdown about us being the target of both muslim and eco terrorists and we should get another job if we don't realize the risk we could face in a high value manufacturing facility (we made the lovely brown mcdonalds napkins). That was a very strange meeting.

Yes I know I'm mocking that man's eco-terrorist fantasies while speculating Xi has nukes in containers, my monitor is on.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Cerebral Bore posted:

a tactical nuke going off on the surface is going to do about jack poo poo worth of damage to a missile silo, so i'm going to go out on a limb and say that the chinese wouldn't do something this monumentally dumb for basically no reason

I was thinking of intercepting the missiles right at launch but alas

Bar Ran Dun posted:

actually they scan most containers overseas at the loading terminals for this.

nearly all marine gates worldwide have portal monitors now.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Slavvy posted:

That is totally normal and fine actually

The woke rear end EPA is what it is.

https://twitter.com/prepbassetport/status/1674270874470596609?t=h9Mwrf54dUAVs11xYvp73w&s=19

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
I don't even know where to put this poo poo, but I saw it while on tik tok and needed to share:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7258686782194191659

DCS, but for AC-130s. The guy making it is a sicko obviously, but his attitude that america can go into god mode on a whim and start slaughtering durkas is still so pervasive after our wunderwaffen have failed to turn the tide in ukraine, and it's maddening.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Every designer Ive heard talk about the j20 has said that its a unique design and that probably scares them more than them being carbon copies of existing us crafts

Which is funny because all the laymen hate it because it's different than american designs. Canards = no stealth, no gun = no dog fighting, this thing sucks.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
I tend to agree but it's probably a doctrine thing. Keep the expensive fighters back lobbing hypersonics, which they can carry more of without the weight of the gun, and send the cheaper fighters in closer.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Remulak posted:

Sicario 2 seemed to hit a similar shift.

Well yeah, the first one was written by people who thought cold blooded child murder was bad. The American public knows that child murder rules if it's being done by operators to mini-tangos, that's why Benicio gets to be the main hero now.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

ughhhh posted:

The movie The Creator had a US military land carrier. Which didn't make any sense as to how it ended up in south east Asia when they were at war with everyone in Asia. The US also made a trillion dollar space station warship in orbit.

Crazy movie where:
1. The US got rid of AI and all the productive forces that come along with a new group of labor
2. Got into a war with all of Asia because Asia wouldn't stop using AI.
3. Still manages to conduct a forever war half way across the globe with impunity and magical super tech.

The best magical super tech is cutting to a new shot so the ship can teleport to a different altitude. Is it a mile up? In low earth orbit? Mountain top height? How about all those and everywhere in between as well.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Wow, so much data!

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Trabisnikof posted:

Also with strong central planning, designing structures for shorter lifespans and reduced lifetime inputs can be an effective strategy comparable to building long lifespan structures with high lifetime inputs.

Of course strong central planning of buildings is anathema to the American economic system.

Yeah, euros love to poo poo on the stick framing that most American houses use, but it's fine for what it's supposed to do which is build, quick, cheap commodity housing. That we act like our cheap housing is actually worth a million dollars and can only go up is a problem of our own making.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

"The investigation concluded that the crash was caused by a broken turbine blade on the left engine compounded by pilot error. The crew misidentified which engine had failed. As a result, the pilots mistakenly shut off power to the right engine, believing the left engine was still intact. The failure to restart the correct engine in the air, and their attempt to return to Kandahar Air Base, substantially contributed to the mishap. With no working engines, the aircraft lacked the necessary altitude and airspeed to glide to the nearest base, forcing them to make an emergency landing on the snowy terrain, which proved too rugged to land safely."

Is this supposed to incentivize the other E-11A pilots to have more situational awareness or something? Don't let your plane get shot down because we won't say it's a bird strike, we'll say you're retards who don't know how to fly. If they weren't working for the USA it would be sad how dirty they got done.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Slavvy posted:

Every war game run by NATO assumes air supremacy and it's what allows them to dominate poor countries

I'm this regard it's exactly like aristocracy thinking a heavy cavalry charge will always be decisive and what let's them dominate poor people

In this analogy, cheaply available sams and drones are like the peasants getting crossbows

The entire US way of war is to strike so hard and fast that you don't have protracted conflicts which consume such high volumes of material. It will come down to whether 5th generation stealth actually works so they can gain complete air dominance and allow US ground forces to conduct the fighting in a way that renders all these "new old" tactics moot. Drones, artillery, and trenches dominate right now because no one can get mobility on the battlefield. Presumably, the US led NATO forces won't have a problem with that if their air campaign is unchallenged.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Grilled Beef posted:

man, if only there was a famous story about a scrawny little shepard boy with his sling defeating a huge muscled guy armed with sword shield and spear

Why would a story about a guy who needed devine intervention to stand a chance make people like slingshots? If that's all you know them from it sounds like they are totally outclassed unless you get a diety on your side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

We cannot allow a bitchin' sidearm gap, deploy the DMR pistol.