Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
what if they called WWIII, but no one showed up?

because they were all dying of water shortages, heatwaves, firenados and unchecked pandemics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
hot take: WWIII started as a financial war in the 80s at latest, went hot after 9/11 and continues to heat up

suggest thread title "lmao the US is already losing WWIII"

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 13:08 on Aug 1, 2022

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

skooma512 posted:

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/1554218752140615687

I'm guessing the US didn't care about Afghanistan's sovereignty and just rolled up and did whatever.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

when do we expect to change the thread title to [REALTIME] The US Is Actively Losing WW3

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Weka posted:

It is not so much the damage to what I believe is America's only 155mm shell factory but what it says about the quality of said factory. Although the damage is nice too.

it's a testament to my faith in the strength of American institutions that my brain read

quote:

Firefighters quickly knocked down the flames shortly after arriving.

as

quote:

Firefighters quickly knocked down the building shortly after arriving.

and just thought "yea that sounds about right"

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Tempora Mutantur posted:

an army of fun! cmon kids, free Xbox if you enlist!

When I was 18 a recruiter literally told me they would buy me a keg of beer if I enlisted, and "you don't even have to show up, just sign the papers, I'll get you a keg, and then you can just not show up and they won't care".

I wonder what happened to that guy, he's probably an officer now.

e: this memory triggers me to remember that one of the only things I actually got punched for in High School was barking "FEED THE WAR MACHINE!" into the faces of some marines that were standing around with recruiting poo poo. Of course, the marines ignored me and were super stoic about it and used to cheeky cringe from edgelord teenagers. Some kid who had a brother in the marines felt a need to get himself suspended punching me over this, lol.

I wonder what the current crop of teens do to troll army recruiters, they seem generally funnier than I ever was.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 15:38 on Apr 18, 2024

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

The US military has a program called "recruiter assistance" where they take people fresh out of basic and send them back to their home town to help pitch the military with personal testimonials.

the recruiter who offered me a keg had graduated from the same high school I was in at the time, a year earlier. Almost certainly the same program, if it existed in the late 90s.

They don't get the best and brightest. Up until then I had thought of the guy as "Nikki's dumb, bullying older brother" so him turning into a fash mouthpiece was like the most obvious thing ever. Also, dude, if you're gonna make me an obviously suspect offer of free beer you should probably remember you're the same guy that used to call me names and hit me for no reason and I'm probably not buying whatever you're selling?

I know a couple people who signed up during that era, and, SURPRISE THEY ALL GOT SENT TO IRAQ AND AT LEAST A COUPLE OF THEM ARE BROKEN IN WEIRD WAYS NOW. Shocking, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

razor 1911

I helped run a small local currier group in the mid 90s, this is one of the few places that technical correctness matters a lot to me