Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

[there was a minor controversy after the Super League season launches about Sonny Bill Williams being permitted to cover up the gambling company logo due to his religion]

MiniSune posted:

I find myself hilariously working for a fortune 500 company, and when raised at a recent meeting it was unanimous that having any association with Izzy would be detrimental to the brand and a huge risk for seemingly little reward. And given all large companies hate risk it would never happen anywhere unless you were in that religious space and fairly small or niche.

Or as a direct quote "gently caress that for an idea".

https://twitter.com/GavWilson/status/1222127792436981760

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Smorgasbord posted:

Religious person in bigoted and hypocritical shocker! :monocle:

He's not an outlier, what he said is what their holy book says this shouldn't be surprising in any way.

I don't think anyone was surprised that some people have really stupid religious views, just most of the people with those really dumb views tend to keep it to themselves. Izzy was too stupid to even manage to do that and got the backlash he deserved.

It's basically a case of scale. When some twat in the office gives off about "the gays", they just get fired and no one cares because they're an irrelevant nobody, when a celebrity does it, people tend to notice.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Folau getting hosed over by a combination of free market and freedom of expression would just be perfect

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/FOXNRL/status/1222681499008258048

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
who?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Far better signing than Leilua imo, seems like an overpay for 'potential' rather than actual achievements though.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lol, Leilua rage quit Canberra because Ricky told him he was fat and poo poo.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Vagabundo posted:

Lol, Leilua rage quit Canberra because Ricky told him he was fat and poo poo.

I'm sure he'll get on with coach Maguire...

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Smorgasbord posted:

I'm sure he'll get on with coach Maguire...

Famously a very laidback coach

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Ryan James seems to have done his acl again. Poor oval office can't catch a fucken break.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

ili posted:

Ryan James seems to have done his acl again. Poor oval office can't catch a fucken break.

Oh poo poo that's really grim news

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Who'll give all the penalties away for the Titans now?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

iajanus posted:

Who'll give all the penalties away for the Titans now?

They'll find a way.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I have to go to Sydney for most of next week and will be staying at Mum's with a 1.5 year old in tow so I should have plenty of time at night hiding from having to chat that I can write the new OP in. Anyone with thread name ideas feel free to chime in, if anyone wants to volunteer to write the whole thing don't be shy.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

drat, that sucks

https://twitter.com/nrlphysio/status/1223418703938641920

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

iajanus posted:

I have to go to Sydney for most of next week and will be staying at Mum's with a 1.5 year old in tow so I should have plenty of time at night hiding from having to chat that I can write the new OP in. Anyone with thread name ideas feel free to chime in, if anyone wants to volunteer to write the whole thing don't be shy.

Topical, but "Folau brings out the best in all of us."

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

It's a bit long but to paraphrase grandpa Simpson

"We may be rapists, dog fuckers, spousal abusers, piss drinkers, golf rampagers, but we are not homophobes. Oh wait, yes we are."

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

01 days without an arrested player

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

01 days without an arrested player

Bonus points if I can get an admin to update it every day, appropriately for the day's situation

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

iajanus posted:

It's a bit long but to paraphrase grandpa Simpson

"We may be rapists, dog fuckers, spousal abusers, piss drinkers, golf rampagers, but we are not homophobes. Oh wait, yes we are."

Where Australia was the convict colony of Britain, Super League is the convict colony of the NRL.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Rugby League 2020: rapists, dog fuckers and the Super League.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Help me with Australian slang, why is England "Poms"?

https://twitter.com/FOXNRL/status/1223804208949817344

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

not sure its true but ive always been told Prisoners Of the Motherland.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Yeah similar but Prisoner Of Her Majesty

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/leagueexpress/status/1224687684850987008

I laughed but I'm told that excuse worked once in another case

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

more on the Folau story: the owner of Hull Kingston Rovers, who is a fairly big-time attorney in the UK, has drafted a letter saying that he and the RFL will hold Catalans legally liable for any financial losses they incur due to sponsors dropping support over the decision to sign Folau. reports are that all 10 other teams in the league (Cats obviously excluded) have endorsed the action and it'll be the top item at tomorrow's regularly scheduled competition meeting in Salford. it's expected that the Cats chairman (who usually sends a proxy to these sorts of meetings) is going to be in Salford and will face the music.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Speaking of disgraces in the Super League: Leeds Rhinos.

It is going to be another long year of Rhinos fandom, I can already tell.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Apollodorus posted:

Speaking of disgraces in the Super League: Leeds Rhinos.

It is going to be another long year of Rhinos fandom, I can already tell.

Well at least your not following cats. They have gone straight to league lepers.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Troy Queef posted:

more on the Folau story: the owner of Hull Kingston Rovers, who is a fairly big-time attorney in the UK, has drafted a letter saying that he and the RFL will hold Catalans legally liable for any financial losses they incur due to sponsors dropping support over the decision to sign Folau. reports are that all 10 other teams in the league (Cats obviously excluded) have endorsed the action and it'll be the top item at tomorrow's regularly scheduled competition meeting in Salford. it's expected that the Cats chairman (who usually sends a proxy to these sorts of meetings) is going to be in Salford and will face the music.
The coward didn't show:
https://twitter.com/loverugbyleague/status/1225373682127769600

I thought this was interesting, didn't realize Union had fallen so far in Australia. Still by far stronger in the US and UK:
https://twitter.com/JamiePandaram/status/1224999292441522176

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Side effect of involving lawyers?
https://twitter.com/ILaybourn/status/1225404708052926464

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So, uh, it seems to be going a bit mental with Josh Reynolds at the moment.

Rastor posted:

I thought this was interesting, didn't realize Union had fallen so far in Australia. Still by far stronger in the US and UK:
https://twitter.com/JamiePandaram/status/1224999292441522176

Yep. Inept management, a lack of investment in the infrastructure at the grassroots level, a failure to capitalise on success at the age group level, over-investing on talent from other codes that haven't achieved poo poo in union, etc., has contributed to a massive decline in performance and interest in the sport. There's also some lingering bitterness about how they cut off the Western Force, despite WA being one of the areas where there was significant growth in the sport, but hey GOTTA GET THAT MELBO MONEYZ, BRUH! There were other factors involved yes, but one of the only ways RA could have handled it worse were if Raelene Castle personally blasted Perth Oval with the contents of a sewage truck.

Like, a Bledisloe Cup test will still bring in the crowd, but the Super Rugby sides have declined precipitously and that is also bleeding into the Wallabies. The fact that it took a couple of years between wins for an Australian side over a New Zealand team in Super Rugby did not happen in a vacuum.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 6, 2020

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Reynolds isn't being forced to stand down by the NRL, so he's free to play in the trials/season.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Union at least in nsw is pretty much a sport for the fat kids of rich people. I remember that there was some interest during thr rugby world cup here 20 years ago. It even got some buzz in the little working class town i was raised in but it failed to catch on after that.

The class lines are too strong. Not that a niche sport for bored millionaires wouldn't do fine they still run that dumb yacht race but its the fact that the player base is so small. Australians are the most fair weathered fans on earth. If rugby union loses good athletes to league/more desirable sports to working class kids this means Australian rugby union wont win a lot.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Yeah, if you're dumb and your parents are poor you play league. If you're dumb and your parents are rich you play union. And if you can count to 20 with your boots on then you play AFL

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

What a piece of poo poo. I really hope the Folau signing backfires on them in a big way.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

is he the dude with the red tie, the dude with the glasses or the dude with the pink scarf?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Abalone Malone posted:

is he the dude with the red tie, the dude with the glasses or the dude with the pink scarf?

Hey now, they can't help it they're French

Guasch is the guy in the red and gold tie, the colors of the Catalan Dragons

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Vagabundo posted:

So, uh, it seems to be going a bit mental with Josh Reynolds at the moment.

Yep. Inept management, a lack of investment in the infrastructure at the grassroots level, a failure to capitalise on success at the age group level, over-investing on talent from other codes that haven't achieved poo poo in union, etc., has contributed to a massive decline in performance and interest in the sport. There's also some lingering bitterness about how they cut off the Western Force, despite WA being one of the areas where there was significant growth in the sport, but hey GOTTA GET THAT MELBO MONEYZ, BRUH! There were other factors involved yes, but one of the only ways RA could have handled it worse were if Raelene Castle personally blasted Perth Oval with the contents of a sewage truck.

Like, a Bledisloe Cup test will still bring in the crowd, but the Super Rugby sides have declined precipitously and that is also bleeding into the Wallabies. The fact that it took a couple of years between wins for an Australian side over a New Zealand team in Super Rugby did not happen in a vacuum.

To be fair Castle is fairly late to the piece. The rot started with O'neill who burnt a fuckload of capital and assets and made the place the begging bowl it is today. The fact he is held up a some sort of "good guy" blows my mind.

But as stated, its poor vs Rich, Workers versus those who don't do "Real Work", the lack of Tribalism above the State comps which after 25 years hasn't really taken hold, Failure to expand catchments, or even protect juniors even though they had the money to do so. And corporate ineptness from burning literally tens of millions of dollars and assets on inflated player payments.

And the player payments are a root cause - they are vastly overpaid for what they do and for what they bring in. Oh and the abject failure of a domestic national comp didn't help either. If they were paid what they were worth, RA would be in a much better position.

The product is frankly poo poo in a four code market - the death of running rugby has not gone down well, the Northern Hemisphere sides might like to kick it back and forth, that like watching paint dry to most around here. The stoppages, somewhat hailed by some in the game (Hi Habanna) are to the point of madness where basically a third of the game is doing gently caress all. So the poeple vote with their feet.

The ELV rules could have changed things, and in Oz they were well received, but the North again found them too exciting (OMG ITS BECOMING LEAGUE) so they pretty well much died a death.

And Soccer got a bit of its poo poo together and started taking some of the corporate scraps that Union used to get exclusively, although nobody likes to gently caress over Sockah like soccer itself (See fans, media, everyone involved in the game, ever). Still it's lightyears ahead of where it used to be, and thus keeps hurting Union by merely existing.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

MiniSune posted:

To be fair Castle is fairly late to the piece. The rot started with O'neill who burnt a fuckload of capital and assets and made the place the begging bowl it is today. The fact he is held up a some sort of "good guy" blows my mind.

But as stated, its poor vs Rich, Workers versus those who don't do "Real Work", the lack of Tribalism above the State comps which after 25 years hasn't really taken hold, Failure to expand catchments, or even protect juniors even though they had the money to do so. And corporate ineptness from burning literally tens of millions of dollars and assets on inflated player payments.

And the player payments are a root cause - they are vastly overpaid for what they do and for what they bring in. Oh and the abject failure of a domestic national comp didn't help either. If they were paid what they were worth, RA would be in a much better position.

The product is frankly poo poo in a four code market - the death of running rugby has not gone down well, the Northern Hemisphere sides might like to kick it back and forth, that like watching paint dry to most around here. The stoppages, somewhat hailed by some in the game (Hi Habanna) are to the point of madness where basically a third of the game is doing gently caress all. So the poeple vote with their feet.

The ELV rules could have changed things, and in Oz they were well received, but the North again found them too exciting (OMG ITS BECOMING LEAGUE) so they pretty well much died a death.

And Soccer got a bit of its poo poo together and started taking some of the corporate scraps that Union used to get exclusively, although nobody likes to gently caress over Sockah like soccer itself (See fans, media, everyone involved in the game, ever). Still it's lightyears ahead of where it used to be, and thus keeps hurting Union by merely existing.

Completely correct. At least soccer is trying to dig itself out of its hole. Rugby is just content to do nothing and pray that everyone just up and decides that it's something they care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
The situation in New Zealand is interesting. Rugby union is king here and probably always will be. However, many here don't seem to grasp how dire the situation is in Australia. The South Africans are thinking very seriously of ditching Australia and New Zealand for the Six Nations. That could kill the Super Rugby competition with no real TV money available, and the All Blacks might need to turn into something like the Harlem Globetrotters.

As a league fan, I'm always amazed at how hopeless NZ Rugby are at identifying and retaining talent, especially in the Auckland/Blues area. League clubs far and wide just cruise in and sign more than their fair share of talent.