Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.

Pierzak posted:

Skeletons still get up even after a Slayer instakill, they were probably referring to that. Ghouls and ghosts are fair game though.
And good to know those fuckers can be permakilled by fire, I'll try that next time instead of fiddling with necromantic totems.

Also, you shouldn't put the dungeon maps in the beginning (or at least put them behind a link), that's pretty spoilery.

The bit about undead not being able to be instakilled was written under skeleton, ghost, and ghoul entries on at least one of the Ultima wikis. The annoying part about this game is how much demonstrably false information gets passed along because nobody actually tries it in game.

I'll move the maps to the end of the update then I get home from work. Text editing on my phone is not my strong suit.

EDIT: The bit about undead being immune to the Slayer's instant death attack turned out to be true. But there is another Thing the Internet is wrong about that we'll show off when we discuss Necromancy in more detail.

TerraGoetia fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

TerraGoetia posted:

The bit about undead not being able to be instakilled was written under skeleton, ghost, and ghoul entries on at least one of the Ultima wikis. The annoying part about this game is how much demonstrably false information gets passed along because nobody actually tries it in game.

One more explanation occurred to me. Slayer makes the thunderclap on all kills, not just when proccing the special instakill. So if you kill a ghoul in 3 hits and get the thunder, it might just mean you killed it normally, without the special option.

I think I've killed some with 1 hit which would prove it false, but I'm not sure. I'll watch out for that.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.

Pierzak posted:

One more explanation occurred to me. Slayer makes the thunderclap on all kills, not just when proccing the special instakill. So if you kill a ghoul in 3 hits and get the thunder, it might just mean you killed it normally, without the special option.

I think I've killed some with 1 hit which would prove it false, but I'm not sure. I'll watch out for that.

Now I doubt myself. Now I doubt everything. The walls of this feeble reality are falling around me. And from this formless damnation I curse you, Pierzak.

(I'll try killing undead with the Slayer tonight and verify that I can get one to drop in a single hit.)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

TerraGoetia posted:

Now I doubt myself. Now I doubt everything. The walls of this feeble reality are falling around me. And from this formless damnation I curse you, Pierzak.

Weird. That usually happens only when I try to explain my thought process to people... oh wait :ohdear:

:unsmigghh:

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I sat here and killed skeletons for an hour. They never went down in a number of hits that couldn't be explained by normal damage. It seems Undead ARE immune to the Slayer's instant death proc. I must have mis-interpreted my gameplay footage. I'll correct the update.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I don't remember Slayer or that dungeon at all; I think I must have totally missed it when I played this.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Antistar01 posted:

I don't remember Slayer or that dungeon at all; I think I must have totally missed it when I played this.

Well, it is in a seemingly random ruined house covered with weak floor.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Yea it can be easy to miss, and if you find it too early and get smeared you can forget about it after you're able to clear it. I seem to recall those high level skeletons actually being a bit of a bastard as well as the trolls being scary and needing a way to deal with ghosts/seekers.

I think there is some cheesy way to deal with ghosts/seekers? Maybe something to do with golems from necromancy or something. If you're out of potions you can leverage some spells pretty well too.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Ghosts become a complete non-issue with one of the necromancy spells, which you learn pretty early on as a part of the main quest. My memory is fuzzy, and I can't remember if TerraGoetia showed it off yet, but once you learn the reagent combination (or had them written down earlier), there's no reason not to just cook up a dozen Ghost-B-Gone spells, and cruise around Pagan, busting ghosts left and right.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

inscrutable horse posted:

but once you learn the reagent combination (or had them written down earlier), there's no reason not to just cook up a dozen Ghost-B-Gone spells, and cruise around Pagan, busting ghosts left and right.
More like no reason to do it. Monsters respawn, scavenging for reagents is a hassle, and that spell is much more useful on pesky reraising skeletons than on ghosts you can kill with a magic weapon to the face.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

...or just take it a step further, and just run past 'em, since all enemies only move at a very leisurely pace, while the Avatar can channel his inner Sonic. Ultimately, it boils down to how averse you are to RSI; running just involves holding down the RMB, magic is a few clicks of the button, and fighting is pounding that mouse like it dispensed candy.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I hate to keep delaying things, but my motherboard burned out last night (literally smelled burning). LP will be on hold while I rebuild my PC. I swear this game is not cursed.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Well, it happens. I remember the time the PSU in my PC exploded. It looked and sounded like a series of fire-crackers going off inside the case. It wasn't even switched on! I was just woken up at 3am by the sound of explosions. :gonk:

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

TerraGoetia posted:

I hate to keep delaying things, but my motherboard burned out last night (literally smelled burning). LP will be on hold while I rebuild my PC. I swear this game is not cursed.

I dunno... I have a funny feeling about that pentagram :ohdear:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Clearly the issue is that we haven't sacrificed enough EA execs to Satan yet. Or would that be sacrifice game companies to EA? I can never remember which of the two is more evil.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Game companies to EA.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Man, the loss of the Lost Vale is just... man it feels bad even though it's so far in the past. It might actually have helped make Ultima 8 a worthwhile or memorable game.

As it is, 8 is a great concept, but just feels like it couldn't live up to its intended execution on the hardware of the time. The action-centric gameplay just didn't work with the tiny screen and the janky-rear end combat. The spell-casting was clumsy. The world felt tiny. And while I get the idea of wanting to make a "dying world," Tenebrae just feels like a place that never lived, it's just that small and heartless. It's a world that feels implausible, really, and for whatever other flaws they had, at least the older Ultimas(Serpent Isle excepted) generally felt like you could believe they were living and functioning worlds while not under siege.

The whole "GOTTA DO EVIL/NON-VIRTUOUS ACTS TO SURVIVE/RETURN HOME"-thing would probably also have worked better if the Avatar seemed to give a gently caress about them. :v: Or if perhaps there were options to solve some things in harder, but more virtuous, ways.

I think the best part of 8 was honestly the background, because it lined up pretty well with UW2. The Guardian did, in fact, help the locals survive some peril(unless, of course, it was a peril he sent at them in the first place), but the price he exacted for it was eternal servitude. Though Pagan feels like the only world where he isn't directly worshipped, instead acting through the Titans, so you have to wonder if his plan went awry or whether it was just a victim of poor writing.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I actually really liked Tenebrae for those same reasons. The world feels insane because it is the remains of a world after the guardian won, and the people in it don't even realize how off it was. It could have been developed better I think, but the general thrust felt good especially compared to the vibrant world from the previous games.

All the ultimas feel super weird to go back to because of how small the real estate on the screen was compared to what we're used to now. Playing them somewhere around when they came out they didn't actually feel that constrained. I think stuff like this and the spellcasting comment are more from how much game UI has evolved than a "game couldn't live up to the times". Remember that this is still the era of like gold box d&d games (one of the dark sun games came out the same year), the first elder scrolls (arena), quest for glory 4, betrayal at krondor, etc. "Janky" is a good way to describe a *lot* of systems from games in this era, even in games that were really fun.

The section of writing that I felt they missed was that the avatar just goes with the flow right off the bat, and there isn't any sort of system to interact with upholding your avatar ideals (which seem bat-poo poo insane to everyone in this world) contrasted with doing what you need to in order to get out of there or help the people there.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Isn't there also a fan-theory floating around that the Avatar in Ultima 8... well, isn't the Avatar? With the completely different character design, and giving 0 fucks about the Virtues, or any other belief system that's been introduced, I can see where some people would believe that Ultima 8 is some other poor, nameless schmuck who pissed off the Guardian and was banished to Pagan to suffer. Combined with the events of Ultima 8 having 0 impact on Ultima IX (Yeah, yeah, I know about the butchered plot and how that's a non-game), I could see where people are coming from.

Though I'll admit, an "Avatar vs the Guardian vs Ultima 8 "hero"" may have made an interesting story for Ultima IX as well...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

ZypherIM posted:

I actually really liked Tenebrae for those same reasons. The world feels insane because it is the remains of a world after the guardian won, and the people in it don't even realize how off it was. It could have been developed better I think, but the general thrust felt good especially compared to the vibrant world from the previous games.

Well, the thing is, the other worlds in UW2 where the Guardian won and the locals believed him a savior, he was still around as a religious figurehead, essentially, using the place as a source of power and minions for his assaults on other worlds. Usually those worlds functioned, just in a very oppressed way. It was rare that he'd choose to destroy a place if he could corrupt it instead. So it just feels unlike his usual MO, really, for unexplained reasons.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
My computer parts are here. I should be able to start posting updates on Thursday. Thank you for being patient.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

TerraGoetia posted:

My computer parts are here. I should be able to start posting updates on Thursday. Thank you for being patient.

Just chiming in so you know people are still reading this!

Ultima 8 was the first Ultima I actually played through. I have a strangely positive relationship with the engine due to my love for the Crusader: No Remorse / Regret games.
I even remember playing it pre-patch, and my memory suggests it was ball-crushingly hard during the jumping segments, as there was no click-to-jump initially?

Being about 15 when the game came out, the world really did not seem all that claustrophobic; more compact and dense. Surprisingly, it was more stable than e.g. Serpent Isle, which I never managed to finish because every game ended up corrupting itself about 12 hours in.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TerraGoetia posted:

Alright! :woop:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Hell yeah, looking forward to the LP continuing.

It's an entertaining LP(as well as informative), and aside from that U8 has always been kind of the LP gaps that seemingly no one has stepped up to fill. Every other Ultima game except, I think, Ultima Adventures one before Martian Dreams that I always forget the name of, I've seen LP'd.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.

PurpleXVI posted:

It's an entertaining LP(as well as informative), and aside from that U8 has always been kind of the LP gaps that seemingly no one has stepped up to fill. Every other Ultima game except, I think, Ultima Adventures one before Martian Dreams that I always forget the name of, I've seen LP'd.

There isn't an Ultima 2 LP in the LP Archives that I can see. I have considered if I want to do that game after this one. Ultima 2 is pure pain.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Some games just can't overcome their age, no matter how classic they may be.

Congrats on the new parts and overcoming the LP Curse. Milder PC implosions than this has ended other threads.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

TerraGoetia posted:

There isn't an Ultima 2 LP in the LP Archives that I can see. I have considered if I want to do that game after this one. Ultima 2 is pure pain.

My dislike for Ultima 9 has not abated in 20 years but Ultima 2 is so much worse.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm kinda surprised no one did Savage Empires. It was a strange game, but it was Ultima with dinosaurs on a modified U6 engine.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
I think 2 and 3 are the only Ultima games without LPs in the archives. Well, other than Pagan, but this thread is trying to fix that!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sordas Volantyr posted:

I think 2 and 3 are the only Ultima games without LPs in the archives. Well, other than Pagan, but this thread is trying to fix that!

Did the Ultima 3 NES LP not make it in? Shucks, I liked that one.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mage_Boy posted:

I'm kinda surprised no one did Savage Empires. It was a strange game, but it was Ultima with dinosaurs on a modified U6 engine.

I did a Savage Empire one but im not sure if it got archived.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Straight White Shark posted:

Did the Ultima 3 NES LP not make it in? Shucks, I liked that one.

Looks like that's a no.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
All the pictures from the Ultima III LP are gone. Only the text remains.

karlallen
Oct 29, 2010
Hey TerraGoetia

I've really been enjoying this Let's Play. I played this on one of the 4 games disks that we got somehow when I was a kid. I tried to play it again recently, but I struggled with widescreen/controls/lessened ability to game etc...

Is this still ongoing?

Cheers

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
Yes, absolutely. I am just a bit emotionally drained lately. I should have the next update done sometime Sunday night.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

TerraGoetia posted:

Yes, absolutely. I am just a bit emotionally drained lately. I should have the next update done sometime Sunday night.

Take care of yourself, rather take a break than burn out.

karlallen
Oct 29, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Take care of yourself, rather take a break than burn out.

I agree, person comes before content :)

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I have the game recording to use for the next update. I just need to sit down, extract screenshots, and write it up.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

TerraGoetia posted:

I have the game recording to use for the next update. I just need to sit down, extract screenshots, and write it up.

Glad to see you’re still alive and kicking - I was thinking today would be about right for some prodding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

This is one of the few ongoing LPs I'm genuinely invested in (along with Half Life, Geneforge 2, Phoenix Wright 2), so I'm really looking forward to it getting back on track.