Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
So he isn't even slightly Hispanic, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

So he isn't even slightly Hispanic, right?

He's Irish and his name is Robert. His dad nicknamed him Beto so he would do better as a politician with Hispanic voters. And Robert kept the nickname.

teacher_man
Feb 11, 2017

Taintrunner posted:

He's Irish and his name is Robert. His dad nicknamed him Beto so he would do better as a politician with Hispanic voters. And Robert kept the nickname.

He rejected the nickname for most of his life. But then, when he wanted to be elected in El Paso, he started using it again. lol

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
he's just born to be president

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
https://twitter.com/SubMedina/status/1108756434890776578

VOTE
FOR
BETO

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

teacher_man posted:

He rejected the nickname for most of his life. But then, when he wanted to be elected in El Paso, he started using it again. lol

Wait really? I knew that his dad gave him the nickname to help his political career but I always saw that as more of an example of the reptile thinking of his family. He didn't use the name until he moved back to El Paso?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

ScrubLeague posted:

he squats on so many tables and bars, what a president

showing off his piss poor squatting posture to prove he isn't a Russian asset

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames
It's honestly funny as hell to me that he reinforces his Texas image with a pickup truck, but it's a loving Tundra and not a Silverado or F-150

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
https://www.opensecrets.org/members-of-congress/summary?cid=N00033540

I wonder why Google thought he was worth almost a quarter million dollars during his senate run.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
https://twitter.com/OsitaNwanevu/status/1111287441569341440

Fugazi Capitalism.

Love to live in the dumbest hellworld.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
he's going to stand on top of the white house

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Christoph posted:

https://www.opensecrets.org/members-of-congress/summary?cid=N00033540

I wonder why Google thought he was worth almost a quarter million dollars during his senate run.

Computer, show me breakdowns of their donation totals

Beto:

Bernie:

Seems like a whole lot of people who can afford a $200+ political donation seem to prefer the empty suit. I wonder why?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
whats that negative donation category? I want to make a negative donation to the calf cramper in chief

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

I just meant specifically Beto. That's a lot of wampum for that particular bro. It looks like they didn't hedge their bets by also donating to Texas Tough Ted.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Christoph posted:

I just meant specifically Beto. That's a lot of wampum for that particular bro. It looks like they didn't hedge their bets by also donating to Texas Tough Ted.

Yea I know but the dunk was too good to pass up.

:dunkedon:

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Beat Off My Pork

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/davidcrosss/status/1112515321657729024

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

countries like Italy and Israel with a ceremonial president and a prime minister with real power seem to be really missing the chance to be electing celebrities and other feel-good candidates to the presidency

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

countries like Italy and Israel with a ceremonial president and a prime minister with real power seem to be really missing the chance to be electing celebrities and other feel-good candidates to the presidency

berlusconi? beppe grillo?

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

good points. I can't quite wrap my ahead around the idea of a ceremonial elected head of state. if the U.S. had that system we'd just elect Hollywood celebrities or YouTube stars

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

dirty lousy tramp posted:

berlusconi? beppe grillo?

both are barred for being criminals, unlike America where you literally can’t be a criminal if you’re rich

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
he's going to win

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

cargo cult posted:

he's going to win

your gimmick of nonstop pessimism is super transparent

no one outside of texas (except various cucked husbands around the nation) knows about or cares about this empty suit

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Has betophiles caught on yet?

I've been trying to hashtag it on twitter but I have like 3 followers

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

Has betophiles caught on yet?

That has to be the Beto gang tag. And thread title.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Christoph posted:

That has to be the Beto gang tag. And thread title.
betophiles already have a name: dnc consultants

teacher_man
Feb 11, 2017

Bushiz posted:

Wait really? I knew that his dad gave him the nickname to help his political career but I always saw that as more of an example of the reptile thinking of his family. He didn't use the name until he moved back to El Paso?

yep

When he went to go ~*~ find himself ~*~ in NY he went by Robert

Before that, Mr. O’Rourke had attended boarding school in Virginia, largely to create some distance from his father, a political obsessive who did not understand his son’s musical leanings.

Now Mr. O’Rourke had the run of the city. He went by Robert — Beto was a nickname from El Paso, owing to its border-town bilingualism — and he played the guitar, establishing himself as the school’s gentle punk rocker.

His DWI/leaving the scene ticket was signed "Robert".

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
this Beto guy seems like a really smart, thoughtful guy. I pulled up a few quotes I've found that make me think he's our guy.

quote:

Knowledge, you see, has no uses without purpose, but purpose is what builds enclosing walls.

quote:

Power bases are very dangerous because they attract people who are truly insane, people who seek power only for the sake of power.

quote:

The three legs of the agreement-tripod are desire, data and doubt. Accuracy and honesty have nothing to do with it. … Desire brings the participants together. Data sets the limits of their dialogue. Doubt frames their questions.

quote:

I will be resolute and make an art of government; I will balance my inherited past and become a perfect storehouse of my relic memories. And I will be known for kindliness more than for knowledge. My face will shine down the corridors of time for as long as humans exist.

quote:

The body of Muad'dib is a dry shell like that abandoned by an insect. He mastered the inner world while holding the outer in contempt, and this led to catastrophe. He mastered the outer world while excluding the inner world, and this delivered his decendants to the demons. The Golden Elixer will vanish from Dune, yet Muad'dib's seed goes on, and his water moves our universe.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Fun fact: his birth name was actually Paul Atriedes. His mother (a career politician) gave him the name "Maud'dib" to appeal to the sizable Fremen voting bloc

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
beto sucks but the "fake mexican" attack is lame because anglos from the texas border counties are just like that. they grow up in a culture that's 90% mexican-american. there's a slightly different accent. people have a different pace to their walk. i dunno it's hard to explain.

republicans in texas used to be more comfortable with chilling out about their state's mexican roots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxu7d56EMhA

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_RFQxnizbQ

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

beto sucks but the "fake mexican" attack is lame because anglos from the texas border counties are just like that. they grow up in a culture that's 90% mexican-american. there's a slightly different accent. people have a different pace to their walk. i dunno it's hard to explain.

republicans in texas used to be more comfortable with chilling out about their state's mexican roots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxu7d56EMhA

cool but his dad is literally on record saying he encouraged and used the nickname while plotting a poltical career for his son. As an adult the nickname was dropped but made a comeback when he had poltical ambition. That's worth commenting on.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Coolness Averted posted:

cool but his dad is literally on record saying he encouraged and used the nickname while plotting a poltical career for his son. As an adult the nickname was dropped but made a comeback when he had poltical ambition. That's worth commenting on.
:shrug:

honestly who cares. kinda feels like dad is saying "...and it was my idea to call him beto! that's why he's so successful!"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
and the stuff about him going by robert as an adult comes from... court documents and how he wrote his name on college essays? anyways i don't really care. i hope he loses.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

The "beto" thing is just halfway microwaved leftovers from that Hillary is your abuela crap they tried to pull back in 2016. It didn't work then and they are trying it again because that's how bankrupt for ideas they are. Mexicans are generally pro democratic and seen by the dems as a free vote so the outreach for them is just "hola brownos, voteo for el rourkeo por favor!" and nothing else. That buck toothed piece of poo poo is Irish.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

and the stuff about him going by robert as an adult comes from... court documents and how he wrote his name on college essays? anyways i don't really care. i hope he loses.

Nice Beto av

This is at least as good as Clinton's outreach

teacher_man
Feb 11, 2017
his dad died in 2001, which was 3 years after Beto's DWI arrest and 4 years before Beto started in City Council, using his charm and Spanish to tell old ladies that demolishing their neighborhood for his father-in-law's development plans was good, actually

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
he's the president

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Lol this guy’s a real piece of crap!