Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Best iPhone
iPhone SE
iPhone SE
View Results

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Laslow posted:

yeah, you really gotta do the math. in my case at&t is cheaper than just buying a phone and going with a mvno with all the lines i got when i deduct all the installments. you also get priority on their network, which does add value. also the sales and support staff is better since i'm technically on a business account. at&t has u.s. and philippines based customer service, but when you dial 611 you're much more likely to be routed to the u.s. call centers if you're a business account.

the mvno's support staffs are awful from what i've heard as suspected. i mean, what would you expect from ULTRA wireless by Circle K or whatever? i hear straight talk is decent, but gently caress wal-mart. how bad could your customer service be when you're getting dunked on by at&t of all companies?

and i read a bit about both canadian internet and wireless on these forums and it sounds like hell on earth. i know the u.s. is a vast land for networks to cover, with both lovely consumer protections and downright consumer hostile regulations, but canada still manages to be so much worse, it's not even funny. i guess it's hard when you've got on tenth the population and barely any market competition but still got all that square mileage to cover, so that kind of money isn't exactly pouring in for network improvements and customer service.

for what its worth, i use puretalk, an att mvno, and they have their own us-based support that has been pretty decent for me. limited hours, though

also i like that they support tethering and visual voicemail, which many cheap mvnos dont

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

fart simpson posted:

how does a provider disable tethering if you use an unlocked phone

i dunno, the toggle wasnt there before for me, but also im not jailbreaking or anything like that

then again i was on a p old version of ios before, so maybe thats the difference. do all carriers embrace that now?