Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Best iPhone
iPhone SE
iPhone SE
View Results

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
totalwireless has refurb 32gb SE's for $69(nice) no strings/plan required. just bought one for my sister who dropped her gas station android in the toilet.

i don't think she's ever had anything other than an android that was literally the cheapest thing she could find at any given time, so i'm sure she'll be in for a shock in regards to how less lovely a phone could possibly be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

strangehamster posted:

won’t this phone be locked to only operate on total wireless/tracphone/simple mobile for a year?
not sure, but she doesn't even need service in theory thanks to everyone that matters to her having imessage/facetime anyway. :)

e: and now that i'm thinking about it, i should probably grab one as a backup phone/music player while they're still available. :thunk:

Laslow fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 21, 2019

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
i think you can usually you can use a locked mvno device on the main carrier too without problems, like say using a metropcs phone on t-mobile. but the problem with tracfone is that they use all four major networks, so i guess i won't know until i get the device and check out the model and it's baseband values.

i'd bet it's likely a gsm carrier, but i can't be sure which one. but i think most iphone models are universally compatible after the 5s or 6. again, it's not an issue for my sister since she'll end up using whatever ghetto prepaid service she can when she does get actual phone service, locked in or not.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

echinopsis posted:

how difficult is it to unlock? what is the method used in the locking process?
Usually it’s a code you need to enter on your phone.

Unless you owe money or are still under contract, you just call and request the subsidy unlock code from the carrier.

I think most phones are unlocked per FCC rules nowadays. I got my phone under an installment plan through AT&T but technically I bought it outright and they just finance it at 0% apr as opposed to the old contracts with subsidized prices, like $199 iPhones, but were carrier locked for 2 years.

Price wise, it’s really a wash between the old subsidy contracts and new financed installments. But 0% APR for 2 years is a pretty great deal when you consider they don’t charge even a penny over MSRP, even if it’s a grand. You do need credit, which I don’t really have, but I’ve had my account for so long, I think they overlooked that for me.

In fact, I’ve got a family plan and have $2500 worth of phones financed, they’ve got almost too much faith in me, lol.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
yeah, you really gotta do the math. in my case at&t is cheaper than just buying a phone and going with a mvno with all the lines i got when i deduct all the installments. you also get priority on their network, which does add value. also the sales and support staff is better since i'm technically on a business account. at&t has u.s. and philippines based customer service, but when you dial 611 you're much more likely to be routed to the u.s. call centers if you're a business account.

the mvno's support staffs are awful from what i've heard as suspected. i mean, what would you expect from ULTRA wireless by Circle K or whatever? i hear straight talk is decent, but gently caress wal-mart. how bad could your customer service be when you're getting dunked on by at&t of all companies?

and i read a bit about both canadian internet and wireless on these forums and it sounds like hell on earth. i know the u.s. is a vast land for networks to cover, with both lovely consumer protections and downright consumer hostile regulations, but canada still manages to be so much worse, it's not even funny. i guess it's hard when you've got on tenth the population and barely any market competition but still got all that square mileage to cover, so that kind of money isn't exactly pouring in for network improvements and customer service.