Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

ninjewtsu posted:

It way under supplies the furnace but that alright because it gets rid of the bullshit
Doesn`t work if you produce raw chicken, eggs or wool, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

ninjewtsu posted:

Fertilizer requires an outlet...

It does not. You can just not take it out and everything works fine.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Sillybones posted:

It does not. You can just not take it out and everything works fine.
I think they meant you can’t “not take it out” if you connect a conveyor belt to the output of the pasture. Which is true if it’s just a belt, but im not sure if a belt plus sorter or grabber or something in that spot works.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

You could just stick a guy or wagon in front of the belt and command him to transfer the other item out of the pasture

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I think they meant you can’t “not take it out” if you connect a conveyor belt to the output of the pasture. Which is true if it’s just a belt, but im not sure if a belt plus sorter or grabber or something in that spot works.

Stick a belt with a grabber on any other tile than the "output" and set a filter for the non-fertilizer item and it works just fine. It is annoying that it has to work that way though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Grabber with a filter works for 35/36 possible output spots at least. Supposedly grabber with a filter works to override the default output spot but I feel like I've had mixed results.

Efb. You can also use a trough at the default output and you only get grain out because poo poo don't roll.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 20, 2019

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ninjewtsu posted:

Fertilizer requires an outlet if you're using belts instead of workers. I have it going into a furnace.

It way under supplies the furnace but that alright because it gets rid of the bullshit

I got embarassingly far into the game before I figured out that you don't need to remove both the product AND the fertilizer from pastures.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

zedprime posted:

Grabber with a filter works for 35/36 possible output spots at least. Supposedly grabber with a filter works to override the default output spot but I feel like I've had mixed results.

Efb. You can also use a trough at the default output and you only get grain out because poo poo don't roll.

Huh, yeah, do meat and such count as "raw" resources because that would work with a chute? I should try that.

Does anyone know what the "advanced" scenario settings do?

Edit: I just tested it and the only farm output you can cheese with chutes is eggs. Nothing else will roll down them.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 20, 2019

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
If you have nothing but square blocks stair stepping and you drag place a conveyor bet on top it will automatically insert slope scaffolds where needed :cripes:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

metasynthetic posted:

If you have nothing but square blocks stair stepping and you drag place a conveyor bet on top it will automatically insert slope scaffolds where needed :cripes:

Yup! My usual plan for building sloped conveyers is start at the top and drag down (it doesn't work as well dragging up). It will just slap slopes into the air to support the belts. If I wanted to go upwards, I just drag a line up the new slopes to reverse the conveyor belts.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So pastures can be upgraded with earth crystals. Not given an "earth booster" like lots of other buildings, you just pay resources and get a faster pasture. Are there any other buildings like this? I've been trying to keep an eye out for it since I noticed I could upgrade pastures, but I haven't found anything.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This game rules. It's like a cheery version of Factorio which is one of my favorite games.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

:discourse:

Took me a second to get it.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

jokes posted:

This game rules. It's like a cheery version of Factorio which is one of my favorite games.
It's like a chutey version of Factorio.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Chutes and ladder logic.

Need to spend the weekend figuring out how the logic blocks work so I can make the mine carts run betterer.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Honestly I'm impressed with how small an area I managed to get production for bread, cheese, vegetable stew and protein shakes in. I probably should have built it a bit further away from the "town" for more room but this some fairly early production.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

zedprime posted:

I haven't really moved or updated my town center yet but I need to. All the road junctions make wagons getting to market look like a game of pacman where one suddenly reverses direction when it finds out its on the same bridge as another wagon in the way.

Not long after this I replaced the city delivery center with a barn depot -> mine cart -> store set up and kept my grid lock out where I had more room to maneuver. A while after I got advanced logistics so I added simple switching to short cut carts back to the depot after dropping off at a store. A really important computation block set up is inventory -> math (>0) -> pusher to switch trains based on inventory - send empty carts back to the depot as soon as you could fit in a switch.

New goal is to set up mine cart loops specific to the depots coming from the workshops and machine shops to try and minimize carts taking up workers. Not because I have to, I'm at like half house capacity. But because it is correct and proper and also I could tie in new supply chains from distant areas. Lusting over magic mine cart tracks to make hills not suck.

This game looks ridiculously good in screenshot and even better in motion.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Magic rails are everything I've dreamed of. My delivery rail circuits are now bumper cars.

The economy is pretty weird. Red, blue, and yellow coins are easy to make, until their aren't because you get a million mines trying to support a burgeoning magic ecosystem and you're suddenly doing the math on how to keep your coin revenue in the black.

e. pictures of spaghetti incoming

The 2 cart loops supplying my markets from depots

This train crash supplies 2 depot barns with junk from the 8 different product supply chains. There's a neat little circuit loop that only sends them down a long dog leg for 2 products if those 2 products are actually in stock enough to justify a mine cart. the dogleg is almost completely obscured by the bridge I'm still using to slowcart bandages over to a medicine workshop.

My mad fire laboratory on top of a mountain. Random generator is cooler than I would ever be.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 24, 2019

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
What I learned:
-After one transport belt (with a grabber for example) you can continue with chutes.
-All your houses take up too much space!

(The path around isn't even needed, it just looks nicer I think.)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can grabber into a chute. You can also do advanced things with splitters and pushers but the chute building is kind of fiddly to make it work right. But it's building of a sort that you will need to screw with if you go down the mine carts rabbit hole.

My gut is without downhills chutes are metal conveyor fast and with down hills as fast or faster than magic conveyors so any intermediate belts are going to gently caress your throughput up.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

RabbitWizard posted:

-All your houses take up too much space!

(The path around isn't even needed, it just looks nicer I think.)

Medieval apartment buildings. Just hope they dump their bathwater and the garbage on the leeward side!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Medieval apartment buildings. Just hope they dump their bathwater and the garbage on the leeward side!

The bathwater is the least of your troubles!

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
The game probably ought to have a few more resources be able to use the chutes, I feel like they're a little underused as is. At the very least tomatoes and apples should work with them.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

metasynthetic posted:

The game probably ought to have a few more resources be able to use the chutes, I feel like they're a little underused as is. At the very least tomatoes and apples should work with them.

They do though? If you can find it raw on the map it works with the chute. You'll get a 2D sprite of an apple going down instead of a ball, but they work.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Chutes have an annoying property where they lose half their efficiency to traffic waves that you have to manually fix. I wonder if you could do a logic pattern that fixes it. Maybe delay pulling objects if the chute is going under a certain speed/timing.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Alkydere posted:

They do though? If you can find it raw on the map it works with the chute. You'll get a 2D sprite of an apple going down instead of a ball, but they work.

Whoa I could have sworn I tried one of the raw flats and it didn't work. Well this is great news!

I built a conveyor factory that can keep the final workshop at (nearly) 100% uptime without stacking pop. Pretty happy with how it turned out:

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

metasynthetic posted:

Whoa I could have sworn I tried one of the raw flats and it didn't work. Well this is great news!

I built a conveyor factory that can keep the final workshop at (nearly) 100% uptime without stacking pop. Pretty happy with how it turned out:

And constructions like these are why this game is it's own unique thing.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
SO how Raw / Jank is this game? Do you enjoy it in your current state?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
It's pretty polished. I haven't noticed any bugs, the core gameplay loop is fun and engaging, it's forgiving of experimentation in that you get full resource refunds on everything. More casual friendly than Factorio imo, yet still I've restarted like 6 times since launch purely out of perfectionist drive. Fully believe this to be the next big hit of the genre. The tutorial is okay but could use work - when I played it on Steam release day, it either didn't include, or I missed critical details on how to get red coins, needed for research. Almost refunded it immediately given my skepticism of EA factory games. Glad I didn't.

In short, it's the best combination of approachable with sastisying depth that exists in the genre right now. I've already got my money's worth.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Runs well. Very few bugs. Neat for a play through or three. In its current state it has longevity problems in my opinion. Partly/mostly because you can’t lose, have no large goal (even if it’s a fictitious one), and your colony can’t forever expand.

Pretty decent $20 game, though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

It also feels that it lacks art assets. The upgradeable buildings don't get any new looks so your base looks the same from 1 to 10 and it can be hard to tell what houses you've upgraded how far. However everything that is there is clean, clear and very easy to read.

My biggest issue is, as said, there really isn't an end goal beyond "get your base to level 10 for maximum houses, upgrade them and max out their happiness". It's on the dev's to-do list but it's a one-man-team. Admittedly a one-man-team that's working his rear end off all things considered from the update rate as he hunts down bugs.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
So how exactly do you stack houses? I am early in the game but I am trying to figure out how to make this happen.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Use the scaffolding to stack houses. You can press f3 and they should already be hotkeyed. Just build up 4 levels and then 'roof' over the existing houses with the arch or bridge. Then build on top.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Dev considering economy changes that sound like it would make the game more city like: https://steamcommunity.com/app/860890/discussions/0/1813170373213374806/

Current idea is houses need food that is always going to need delivering by something, markets now sell specialty goods for coins and will be boosted by houses, but only so much and a house only counts once so your markets and houses need to be spread around.

Probably a long while out as he continues doing/considering the speed of the quality of life changes and code base prep he's been doing since release. But I'm kind of pumped again because this game thrives on its different layers of logistics and the current end game kind of fizzles out once you start getting saturated mine cart circuits.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure I'm on board with having to goods things to each house individually but otherwise I like the direction the dev is taking it.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
This thread is too quiet for how good this game is, have some screenshots:

Town overview, city center on the left, lots of defunct stuff scattered around the map to be cleaned up when I get around to it. I took a week long hiatus from the game, came back and still feel like I'm learning building tricks, so some of these factory complexes aren't up to my current building standards.

This is a continuation of the conveyor belt factory from before. There's a metal conveyor factory added on to it on the left, and overflow storage for planks and plain wood for building platforms and paths floating on the right:

Bread factory, the farms have inadequate cropland for my current speed multiplier but it still keeps my bread uptime at 100% so I haven't bothered revisiting it yet.

Opposite side of the food market, the butter and veggie stew complexes. There's an overflow production barn in the center to maintain seed stock for the veggies:

The beef stew complex is across the street, with some empty space behind it along the other street for expansion, which I will probably do soon:

Fish oil, antidote, and ointment complexes. I use 2 fishing boats per fish oil kitchen even though 1 can roughly keep up because otherwise the single boat harvests fish from 1 spot faster than they replenish naturally.

Poultice complex. I recently discovered that you can withdraw / insert into a building with a belt on z = 4 (where the ground is zero, so 3 platforms, then a belt on top of that.) By grabbing out the side of a building, belting into a silo, then pulling back out of the silo the same way, you can acheive a transfer to a vertically stacked building in a 1x3 tile space, as seen in the lower left.

Research complex, shut down for now as I haven't started purple coin production yet. The messy forge complex nearby is a placeholder I'll rip out later.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 8, 2019

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I also dedicate more focus on making specialty food products at an industrial scale than anything else. Getting 100% sandwich uptime was a bigger achievement than harnessing the power of magic crystals.

Factory Town: The Sandwich District remains this world's top priority

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So I know there's been some like, bug fix patches since this game's release, but has any content been added? This game is cool and I'd like to come back to it, but there just wasn't quite enough content in the game to keep me interested past getting to the point of having seen it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Not yet, the major things added so far are phasing out click and drag worker management and making buildings movable with the move verb. The last one is big but not exactly gonna bring you back in if you've already made cake and sandwiches.