Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm pretty sure that no object in this game has innate characteristics except for cosmetic ones, like if someone made an object randomizer every puzzle would work exactly the same. It's so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

an actual dog posted:

I'm pretty sure that no object in this game has innate characteristics except for cosmetic ones, like if someone made an object randomizer every puzzle would work exactly the same. It's so good.

This is very true, and something to keep an eye out for; I've already been tripped up for a few minutes on a puzzle where there was a barrier of water when water didn't have any definitions.

(Also sometimes seemingly harmless things will be lethal)

If there's ever any confusion, the pause screen has a list of currently-active statements.

BABA IS DOG? :ohdear:

President Ark fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 15, 2019

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

President Ark posted:

BABA IS DOG? :ohdear:

DOG is BABA

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Actually there is one universal element in Baba is You levels and it's TEXT is PUSH

https://twitter.com/babaisyou_/status/1088931941024518144

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Baba could be any number of 4 legged critters to be honest and that is what I love about Baba.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Baba could be any number of 4 legged critters to be honest and that is what I love about Baba.

In game jam game baba was little thing with horns so I see them as like a ram or something

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You have been asking who Baba is. Baba is You and Baba is Speak

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I said come in! posted:

It's an onomatopoeia, shortened to four letters.

Sheep go "baa, baa".

I'm not very far yet (saving most of it for a long plane ride in May), but my favorite so far is the poem level ROSE is RED, VIOLET is BLUE, FLAG is WIN, BABA is YOU, just because it's cute. It was fun to figure out too, but that applies to most of the levels so far.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

You have been asking who Baba is. Baba is You and Baba is Speak

:frogout:

e: there is no feeling more satisfying than coming back to a puzzle you got stuck on yesterday and beating it

President Ark fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 15, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What the gently caress is with Skull House

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

President Ark posted:

:frogout:

e: there is no feeling more satisfying than coming back to a puzzle you got stuck on yesterday and beating it

Definitely, I was driving to work when I realized how to pass where I was stuck by where to place a SINK.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Regy Rusty posted:

What the gently caress is with Skull House

I'm loving convinced that this level is unsolvable, unless there's some big loving word combo that i don't know of.

You're REQUIRED TO sacrifice an entity to open the door, and left with the last entity still stuck because there's no way to interact with the outside words

And no, You can't Push the water with BABA is PUSH

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dizz posted:

I'm loving convinced that this level is unsolvable, unless there's some big loving word combo that i don't know of.

You're REQUIRED TO sacrifice an entity to open the door, and left with the last entity still stuck because there's no way to interact with the outside words

And no, You can't Push the water with BABA is PUSH

Yeah it's still got me stumped too. But there must be something we're missing.

I also have no clue about level 12 and E in that area so I've moved on to the Flower Garden, where I've just been introduced to two new verbs back to back. This poo poo's getting complicated.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Qylvaran posted:

It's an onomatopoeia, shortened to four letters.

Sheep go "baa, baa".
if you're American, yes, but the dev isn't

we'd have to ask them to find out what it really means but I'm okay with Baba just being Baba

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Your Computer posted:

if you're American, yes...

Or Swedish, or a number of other nationalities, as it happens. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-linguistic_onomatopoeias

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Qylvaran posted:

Or Swedish, or a number of other nationalities, as it happens. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-linguistic_onomatopoeias

Æ/Ä is not A

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Your Computer posted:

I've been watching people play the first levels and I think every single person has done "Door is Open" and gotten confused by it "not working" :negative:

"OPEN and SHUT are matter- and anti-matter-like states that destroy each other when occupying the same square" is such a simple rule in retrospect that you forget it's unintuitive :v:

Edit: oh poo poo, THREAD is STICKY!

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I've completed the water area, Sunken Temple was the only level to really stump me.
BABA is GOOD.

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013
The only reason I haven't bought this yet is because I can't decide between Steam or Switch

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Æ/Ä is not A

There aren't any diacritics in the game.

I'm not saying it's impossible that the developer named this roundish, white, four-legged animal "baba" without intending it to be a sheep named after a sound sheep make, but it's not much of a stretch to guess that they did.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Look Sharp! posted:

The only reason I haven't bought this yet is because I can't decide between Steam or Switch

It’s pretty perfect on Switch. Been wrapped up in a blanket playing it on the couch for the last two hours while The Division 2 patches

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

an actual dog posted:

In game jam game baba was little thing with horns so I see them as like a ram or something

It looked like the character from Bokosuka Wars.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

the main argument against BABA IS SHEEP is that sheep generally aren't well known for having big upward-pointing ears or being able to rewrite the laws of reality by pushing words around

i'm fine with baba just being some sort of ambiguous critter

e: in fact, "baba" is frequently what toddlers call stuffed animals and the grammar ingame naturally winds up sounding sort of childlike so BABA being some sort of ambiguous stuffed animal creature seems pretty fitting

President Ark fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 16, 2019

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Tiny Pond is a jerk, that was some serious outside the box stuff

Is Poem solvable? I'm not really seeing any flexibility on moving stuff around.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Baller Ina posted:

Yes, it is solvable.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Baller Ina posted:

Hint 1:It looks like moving things will just kill you... but there is something you can move at the start.
Hint 2: Some nouns and verbs aren't really doing anything for you. How can you manipulate things to take advantage of that?
Hint 3:Find your center.
Hint 4:Sometimes your first step doesn't seem like progress at all.

Explicit advice: Move the middle column (the 4 "IS"s) down 2 so you can fiddle around with ROSE and VIOLET freely.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 16, 2019

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

CP9 is WEAK

I searched for hints because I could not process anything in "Prison" and well, anyone who figured that one out on their own is beyond human.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
FURTHER FIELDS is BEATEN. FEDULE is FURIOUS and FURIOUS and FURIOUS.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fedule posted:

FURTHER FIELDS is BEATEN. FEDULE is FURIOUS and FURIOUS and FURIOUS.

Reveal this to me, please.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

President Ark posted:

the main argument against BABA IS SHEEP is that sheep generally aren't well known for having big upward-pointing ears or being able to rewrite the laws of reality by pushing words around

i'm fine with baba just being some sort of ambiguous critter

e: in fact, "baba" is frequently what toddlers call stuffed animals and the grammar ingame naturally winds up sounding sort of childlike so BABA being some sort of ambiguous stuffed animal creature seems pretty fitting
yeah, it's very fitting. It's also very universal, which is why it often means 'father' or 'grandmother' or similar in a lot of different languages across the world, similar to mama, papa, dada, and so on. It also reminds me of of bouba/kiki.

the original Baba in the game jam version looks more like a robot or something to me

whatever Baba is, Baba is Good

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

So Island-8, Catch the Thief

why did Baba is You is Move let me pass through the skulls? I'm still me.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Baller Ina posted:

the MOVE adjective and moving lets you move 2 tiles at a time and as seen whenever you replace the noun in "[NOUN] IS YOU" statements, the game doesn't care about interim states, only how things are at rest. you were never standing on a skull so it doesn't matter that you passed over them

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Baller Ina posted:

MOVE makes that sprite move in the direction it is facing every turn. So effectively, with BABA is YOU is MOVE, if you press right, Baba moves right from your input, then moves right again from MOVE in the same turn. Baba never finished a turn on a Skull, so the SKULL is DEFEAT never took effect.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Without looking at the art for the game jam version of BABA, I just didn't see any solid evidence against the BABA is SHEEP theory. Having seen BABA's original form, however, while it could have been intended as some kind of weird anthropomorphized sheep, I'm less convinced than I was.

Tiny Island is a jerk.

I can get a couple keys like I did for the level before, and use them to move "is YOU" horizontally, but once I use a key to open up a hole above "WIN", I can't do that anymore, and I think I don't have enough space to have "X is YOU and" in position above "WIN" in advance.

What am I missing?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I feel like I'm missing something unfathomably obvious about Evaporating River, as far as I can tell the only blocks I can move are the text blocks and the cog, and that I need all 4 of those in a row to shove the FLAG block into the IS WIN pile, but I don't see any possible way to stop the water from being HOT other than turning it into SKULL which is unhelpful, or any possible way to stop COG from being tied to AND MELT.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

My favorite thing I've done so far is probably NOT BABBA is YOU. It wasn't the solution of the level, but it was totally delightful :kimchi:

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 16, 2019

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

creationist believer posted:

MOVE makes that sprite move in the direction it is facing every turn. So effectively, with BABA is YOU is MOVE, if you press right, Baba moves right from your input, then moves right again from MOVE in the same turn. Baba never finished a turn on a Skull, so the SKULL is DEFEAT never took effect.

Makes sense, actually. Can't believe the game is busting this stuff out on world 2.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Einwand posted:

I feel like I'm missing something unfathomably obvious about Evaporating River, as far as I can tell the only blocks I can move are the text blocks and the cog, and that I need all 4 of those in a row to shove the FLAG block into the IS WIN pile, but I don't see any possible way to stop the water from being HOT other than turning it into SKULL which is unhelpful, or any possible way to stop COG from being tied to AND MELT.

Hint 1: SINK works on anything.
Hint 2: You don't need all four things in a row.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Einwand posted:

You don't need all 4 of those to push FLAG to IS WIN.

The SINK property means that an object will annihilate itself and another object it overlaps

Text blocks are objects themselves

Actual solution: Push the WATER, IS, and SINK text to the right of the river and make the WATER IS SINK rule horizontally. Push this to the left, so that WATER goes into the river and sinks, destroying WATER and a block of water. Add IS SINK vertically below COG, to form COG IS SINK. Push the cog into the leftmost skull, using the landbridge created when you sunk WATER in the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Bongo Bill posted:

Reveal this to me, please.

In the grand tradition, spoilered hints of escalating explicitness;

Once you've ruled out the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, is the truth.

It is impossible to override the top right rules of BABA IS BABA AND DEFEAT, and GRASS IS DEFEAT.
It is impossible to attach any more predicates to FLAG because there's a WALL in the way.
It is impossible to bring the WIN predicate to the starting side of the GRASS.
It is impossible for anything other than KEKE to be YOU.
Therefore...
You're going to have to find a way to get KEKE across the GRASS, despite GRASS IS DEFEAT and KEKE being the only available YOU.

To get KEKE across the GRASS, YOU are going to have to do something very, very, stupid.

Remember, kids, YOU cannot be DEFEATed if nothing is YOU!

Did you know that you can press A/Space to pass time while in a fail state?

You'll have to use the three BABAs with MOVE to PUSH KEKE across the GRASS.

You'll need to set everything up so that KEKE IS PUSH (but not YOU) during the crossing, but KEKE IS YOU at some point after crossing.

I've shown one way of doing this here. There may be others.