Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

GlyphGryph posted:

I literally never even thought to do TEXT IS FLOAT, which is probably also the answer to your question.

...looking at this again I think I actually meant LEVEL IS FLOAT/transforming the LEVEL and just jumbled my words lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

So on the switch version are those hotfixes gonna take a bit longer? Got stuck on Skull Pile and not seeing any possibilities.

I'm glad my "this is actually impossible" sense was accurate instead of just sad and desperate, assuming I'm actually right about what's going on here.

Collecting my thoughts on what it feels like to return to a game like this after so long. Revisiting the main levels can be genuinely exhausting and stressful when you just want to check for changes since last time you played, but overall I am still just super impressed that you found so much more stuff to add.

e: whewww Warehouse almost broke my brain. This game... still so good.

Martman fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 23, 2021

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I found an unintended solution to Blow The Candles Out.
If you shove a bunch of rules under Empty you can make Empty Is Baba at the same time you make Keke Is Win, so you don't need to move, and thus Keke walks into you and you win.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

McFrugal posted:

I found an unintended solution to Blow The Candles Out.
If you shove a bunch of rules under Empty you can make Empty Is Baba at the same time you make Keke Is Win, so you don't need to move, and thus Keke walks into you and you win.

I just finished this; what's the intended solution? I checked on Youtube and the puzzle layout isn't even the same? There's a bunch of walls on the right side of the level in the YT videos but in my level it's just empty space where those are. The way I did it was to stack a bunch of spare rules next to the walls containing the keke sentence, then make Grass is You alongside Baba is You, then I did some maneuvering using that stack of junk rules so that Baba would be right next to Keke at the moment Grass completes the Keke sentence.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
A web developer on medium seems to be a fan.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Argue posted:

I just finished this; what's the intended solution? I checked on Youtube and the puzzle layout isn't even the same? There's a bunch of walls on the right side of the level in the YT videos but in my level it's just empty space where those are. The way I did it was to stack a bunch of spare rules next to the walls containing the keke sentence, then make Grass is You alongside Baba is You, then I did some maneuvering using that stack of junk rules so that Baba would be right next to Keke at the moment Grass completes the Keke sentence.

The intended solution involves making BABA EAT EMPTY and EMPTY IS STOP

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Vehicle-12 "Happy Dance" is really cute. I don't know what the intended solution is, I was able to finish it without using the DOWN-LOCKED word by wedging "IS MOVE" vertically between the two dogs to get them past the skulls to make "FLAG IS WIN", then getting them to push "IS MOVE" back down from above.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
What's with Alpine Meadow? It looks impossible:
you can't remove the bee inside the building because it makes the gravel deadly as you try to push it out, which means that you're supposed to turn that bee into the flag, but you can't enter after doing so because the flag also needs to be powered.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Cleared all the levels in both sets last night and it felt great, this game continues to astound me and now I can feel like I earned access to custom levels. The worst holdouts by a long shot were deep doors and then finally baba is empty, I easily stared at those two for hours apiece.

McFrugal posted:

What's with Alpine Meadow? It looks impossible:
you can't remove the bee inside the building because it makes the gravel deadly as you try to push it out, which means that you're supposed to turn that bee into the flag, but you can't enter after doing so because the flag also needs to be powered.

one of your assertions is false, there is a way to get the bee out of the house

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Really loving the new pack, and it's great that it's so expansive that if I get stuck, I can set a level aside and go find something entirely new to explore while it percolates. Hanger had that perfect Baba feeling; you get these little moments of revelation where you make progress, alternating with those moments where you realise it's more complex than you first though and you have to revisit your assumptions.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
e:nm

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 6, 2021

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I had to look up the solution to Warehouse, and... is it supposed to be that annoying? The walls in the middle really get in the way. Also, not sure why there are two flags.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

McFrugal posted:

I had to look up the solution to Warehouse, and... is it supposed to be that annoying? The walls in the middle really get in the way. Also, not sure why there are two flags.
The solution I find on google now is slightly different from how I executed it, but fundamentally the same use of two flags I think. you're taking advantage of the fact that Flag stops being Push when you change it to Win; in order for that to make the difference, some text will have to move on top of a flag, potentially making it difficult to access. It's possible to set it up so that's fine with one, but an extra flag makes it simpler to not worry about messing with the pile of text in the bottom right after you've set Flag to Win.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Martman posted:

The solution I find on google now is slightly different from how I executed it, but fundamentally the same use of two flags I think. you're taking advantage of the fact that Flag stops being Push when you change it to Win; in order for that to make the difference, some text will have to move on top of a flag, potentially making it difficult to access. It's possible to set it up so that's fine with one, but an extra flag makes it simpler to not worry about messing with the pile of text in the bottom right after you've set Flag to Win.

Oh I see, the first result on google is different from the first result on youtube, and has a much simpler solution.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Hi Hempuli, I just noticed the soundtrack now includes the new songs. But the player in Steam doesn't list them, and neither does the store page.

They only got downloaded to the folder for playback with an external program.

You might want to adjust that so it's more clear?

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
this clownshoes solution to under the floor i wound up with taught me something new about order and priority lol

spoilers for the level obviously (its oddity-21)

https://youtu.be/JXZN_4917bE

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Bean and Nothingness is a new puzzle game with Baba's adorableness, deviousness, and a similar sort of emergent mechanical depth. It's got about the same number of levels that Baba had at launch and a built in level editor to boot. I've been loving it to death, this thing is clearly a huge labor of love and I'm a bit heartbroken that it seems to be getting totally overlooked (9 steam reviews, 380 views on the youtube trailer posted 6 months ago, 450 views on the announcement trailer posted 5 years ago :wtc:). This game is too good to go unplayed. Strong recommendation for anybody who loves Baba.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ7PRBcBfE0

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

treat posted:

Bean and Nothingness is a new puzzle game with Baba's adorableness, deviousness, and a similar sort of emergent mechanical depth. It's got about the same number of levels that Baba had at launch and a built in level editor to boot. I've been loving it to death, this thing is clearly a huge labor of love and I'm a bit heartbroken that it seems to be getting totally overlooked (9 steam reviews, 380 views on the youtube trailer posted 6 months ago, 450 views on the announcement trailer posted 5 years ago :wtc:). This game is too good to go unplayed. Strong recommendation for anybody who loves Baba.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ7PRBcBfE0

I played this for a while. It's tough. Can't even start on the third island.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i don't suppose there's been any word on a patch with some of the post-update adjustments/additions for the switch release, eh

just doesn't feel right leaving the babarcade unfinished

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Oooookay, I think my brain broke a bit with one of the REVERT levels...

This is for the level Delicacies - Seasons.

From what I'm seeing, the solution for my version, on Switch, is completely nonsensical. My idea was to make FLOWER IS REVERT, replace the REVERT with STUMP to get two objects iterating through the different states but at different points, then use PUSH to move them into the water one after the other. But since there is only one IS, I couldn't make STUMP IS REVERT fast enough before both objects get stuck as a stump as end state, making it impossible to separate them (and SINK, different to OPEN/SHUT, destroys everything non-FLOAT moved onto it, meaning I can't use the second stump for the second spot of water).

But Youtube tells me the solution is to make STUMP IS REVERT afterwards, even if both objects are now a stump, and then FLOWER IS REVERT - which somehow causes one object to revert at the flower stage to a seed, whereas the other continues to get stuck as a stump again?

What???

I get that the rules FLOWER IS TREE and FLOWER IS REVERT are now active at the same time. But that also holds true when you form FLOWER IS REVERT for the first time, when there is only one object; and I simply took that to mean that IS REVERT has priority over IS TREE. Why would the number of objects mean anything to the rule? Shouldn't both objects revert to seeds, instead of one reverting and one transforming? (Or, also possible: at least one of the objects both reverting AND transforming, resulting in one more object)

Do I have terminal Baba Brain now, or is REVERT actually bugged? (On Switch, at least)

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.

Hempuli (Discord) posted:

Version 447b:
- Retired the level Seasons in New Adventures temporarily because of logic issues

Version 448:
- Reworked the way Revert works; it should now be more optimized and not bug as easily
- Returned Seasons into the game

Judging off of the previous post, there hasn't been a switch update, and these updates modify REVERT which probably makes it more consistent/less buggy. I truthfully am a bit blind to REVERT on the regular too, but being on an unaltered version of it probably doesn't help.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

treat posted:

I tried this out! It's a good Sokoban variant, but it's not in classic territory like Baba, since the rules are opaque and much harder wired.

Also, "that game that should not be mentioned" seems to have stalled in development..

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
upon solving it smelting facility is instantly one of my favorite puzzles in the game lol

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
this has to be about a billion miles from the intended solution for shiny ladder but im really fond of it

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Geemer posted:

Hi Hempuli, I just noticed the soundtrack now includes the new songs. But the player in Steam doesn't list them, and neither does the store page.

They only got downloaded to the folder for playback with an external program.

You might want to adjust that so it's more clear?

Thanks! I'll fix this soon!

Violen posted:

i don't suppose there's been any word on a patch with some of the post-update adjustments/additions for the switch release, eh

just doesn't feel right leaving the babarcade unfinished

Huge apologies for the wait, but it should be available now: https://twitter.com/babaisyou_/status/1471384099453652992

Violen posted:

upon solving it smelting facility is instantly one of my favorite puzzles in the game lol

Really glad to hear this, haha; Smelting Facility is one of those levels where I like the solution a lot but the level is way too messy and has way too many rules :(

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

climb the wall atop a hill of corpses!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

If thats not the intended solution I don't want to know what is, because that one is perfect.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
man, baba is empty took more time than any other puzzle in new adventures to date, by a substantial amount, but (solution spoilers) while i think the solution i wound up with feels really cool and satisfies the point of the level well, it leaves me baffled by all the extra elements within. outside of using a couple of burner text objects left over from the rules, i never did anything with the lock, the extra baba, or the rock, and hempuli isn't typically in the business of red herrings or extraneous elements unless they're in an open canvas kind of level with multiple intended solves. whatever the proper solve is, though, i'm more than satisfied moving on lol.

that felt like a world unto itself in terms of exhausting a dozen hermetic ideas that all failed to work at the last step in unique ways by one inch, with an air of intentionality to the design in terms of how perfectly the structure and layout cut everything off. i messed with just about every combination of every element used every way i could surmise. in the end the solution i did put together was built very deliberately out of several lessons and ingredients pulled from the journey, though, as opposed to just fumbling around in desperation until i stumbled into a watershed discovery, so that's the mark of a great puzzle to me. which weirdly makes it another one of my favorite levels despite feeling like i was so far off the beaten path of what it expected.

this is what i did, for posterity: https://youtu.be/RR35NO2u8Nw

i'm also hesitant to look up anything about the actual answer because i don't want to spoil some aspect of a future puzzle with the info but i'm extremely weird about puzzle games that way

Violen fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 17, 2021

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I find myself stuck on "Season" and "Treehouse" for the same reason: I can manage all sorts of clever combinations with the accessible rules, but it's irrelevant because there's one too few objects on hand to destroy the obstacles that are Sink. And in both cases, Win is inaccessible, which suggests I shouldn't be looking for a way to manipulate the win conditions, only a way to reach the goal. I wouldn't mind a hint.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

hyphz posted:

Also, "that game that should not be mentioned" seems to have stalled in development..

What game is this? PM me you don't want to mention it in this thread.

I guess this game might been mentioned in this thread, it's not really that similar to Baba, but in the same vein as Stephen's Sausage Roll and A Good Snowman Is Hard To Build, a great game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiSc5PKi4ps

A Monster's Expedition

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

ymgve posted:

What game is this? PM me you don't want to mention it in this thread.

I also want to know. :justpost:

and i'll also point out another good sokobanesque game that came out recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku41ODsT--I
https://store.steampowered.com/app/973250/Altered/

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
There might be an open source version of Baba Is You with changed mechanics that the author doesn’t want anyone to mention anywhere Hempuli might see.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

I find myself stuck on "Season" and "Treehouse" for the same reason: I can manage all sorts of clever combinations with the accessible rules, but it's irrelevant because there's one too few objects on hand to destroy the obstacles that are Sink. And in both cases, Win is inaccessible, which suggests I shouldn't be looking for a way to manipulate the win conditions, only a way to reach the goal. I wouldn't mind a hint.

Treehouse follows the same theme as the original *house levels.
You need to turn one object into two, by completing two X IS Y rules in one move.
And once you're done with Treehouse, you're ready for the ultimate challenge: Househouse!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

That's a crazy solution, woah. Good job, man.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nostalgamus posted:

Treehouse follows the same theme as the original *house levels.
You need to turn one object into two, by completing two X IS Y rules in one move.
And once you're done with Treehouse, you're ready for the ultimate challenge: Househouse!

Huh. I either never knew about, or forgot about, that interaction. Thanks!

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
is this solution intended for 'garden? what garden?' because it plays out really elegantly but also feels very fringe rule priority-ish, on top of elements of the level remaining unused, although for the third permutation of a stage neither of those things are without precedent or unwelcome, so i'm unsure whether this is it or not. it's just the first idea i had for a potential solve and i was really pleased when it worked lol. it looks like this is also one of those levels that went through several rounds of revision, so

https://i.imgur.com/k8mSIhn.mp4

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Ok, "LEVEL IS AUTO" made me chuckle

I had the same solution - it didn't even cross my mind to use alternating NUDGE to step left and right on the "ladder", I did the same thing you did once I noticed the presence of TEXT and HAS

Tactical immortality may not solve every problem, but hell, I'm gonna try

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Violen posted:

is this solution intended for 'garden? what garden?'

Yes, basically. The solution is "all near Baba is broken" and once you have that then you can finish the stage however you want.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
does everyone else have these totals for the new level pack collectibles 88 spores, 3 flowers for the museum, 156 spores, 7 flowers, 1 orb for new adventures

after some of the poo poo in the base game i dont trust anything anymore, especially not myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
I only have 87 dandelions in museum but everything is clear, huh. The rest check out though.