Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
maybe you just forgot to fulfill 'is win' in more unused levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
On a related note, the new final spore count for the main game is 231 now, right? There were four levels added to ??? plus achieving a meta style win condition on the map which seemed to do nothing except count as a dandelion. So … 231 now right?

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
for the love of god hempuli let me rest

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

So It Goes posted:

On a related note, the new final spore count for the main game is 231 now, right? There were four levels added to ??? plus achieving a meta style win condition on the map which seemed to do nothing except count as a dandelion. So … 231 now right?

did he announce this anywhere lol, how are people keeping track of this poo poo

edit: nevermind i just saw it on the discord

cheeky gently caress LMAO

Violen fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 23, 2021

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

So It Goes posted:

That's correct!

Violen posted:

did he announce this anywhere lol, how are people keeping track of this poo poo

edit: nevermind i just saw it on the discord

cheeky gently caress LMAO

Sorry! It had been requested for a long time. I almost certainly won't add anything more there.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I'm ok with you adding new levels any time :)

Violen posted:

maybe you just forgot to fulfill 'is win' in more unused levels

Nope, definitely did that and redid it just to be sure.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

KNR posted:

Playing this close to release, it's like I'm getting a bunch of extra levels from all these hotfixes. The latest one removed my solution on Train, which I was surprised by, as the solution felt fairly natural. Completely stumped by the new Train.

yes hello trying to derive the intended solution to this level took me longer than any other level in the two new official levelpacks as of the latest patch, including all patched-in levels and finding intended solutions to any other levels i had used an alternate solve for originally (besides baba is empty which i've still yet to find a solution for in its current state) so don't feel bad

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I think there's an unintended solution in Treacherous Wetlands, where you use the text to get rid of water after forming Baba Is Baba so baba can cross the flowers
It's possible to solve without doing that.

...well, maybe the other solution is the unintended one: you get the rock out without breaking the water on the right (by breaking fruit is push at the right time and using a second baba to maneuver things) so you don't lose a baba/fruit, then push both fruit onto the flowers before forming fruit is sink and fruit has baba

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 29, 2021

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

McFrugal posted:

I think there's an unintended solution in Treacherous Wetlands, where you use the text to get rid of water after forming Baba Is Baba so baba can cross the flowers
It's possible to solve without doing that.

...well, maybe the other solution is the unintended one: you get the rock out without breaking the water on the right (by breaking fruit is push at the right time and using a second baba to maneuver things) so you don't lose a baba/fruit, then push both fruit onto the flowers before forming fruit is sink and fruit has baba

i think there's a fair few ways to order that level that just involve shuffling around some of the same required ingredients

i went to revisit the solution i used and it sounds like a mixture of the two you described

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPxtt90rQN0

and a friend of mine used one that mostly centered around the bottom-left

speaking of though, i remember i did find a ridiculous solution to the newest version of fertile ground

https://youtu.be/LBjr4RgSqAY

i wound up sticking to the release version of the update until i'd cleared all the levels from both official levelpacks because i wanted to contrast them against the most recent changes

it was a lot of fun seeing how far off the intended path some of my solutions wound up being lol, and some puzzles in particular were revealed as the absolute bastards they were always supposed to be

Violen fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 29, 2021

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
right now i'm chasing the story of bruhority and cracking up at hempuli featuring a scandal because it's neat

undo will never recover from this

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Violen posted:

right now i'm chasing the story of bruhority and cracking up at hempuli featuring a scandal because it's neat

undo will never recover from this

Wait, what's this about?

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
that's the level axerity made demonstrating the limitations of the undo feature. namely involving priority.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
speaking of, does anyone know offhand how many of the featured levels besides bruhority involve engine peculiarities like that? i don't mind banging my head against a puzzle that's down to raw mechanics, or levels that are straightforward demonstrations of quirks, but i don't wanna drive myself insane trying to solve real puzzles built out of stuff like bruhority i'd have to stumble into the conceits of

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Wow I did not understand IDLE at all! I solved Dream Secret through alternate means and I just never learned how IDLE worked until I got frustrated and looked it up.

Feeling pretty dumb about not realizing that one now, though.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
creation is hands down the coolest and hardest fan-made baba level ive solved yet lol

i cannot fathom this solution is fully pared down, but given what i gathered of creation's reputation when i went reading up on the level after the fact, who knows, maybe it is

https://youtu.be/uAB7a6hL6Yo

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Violen posted:

creation is hands down the coolest and hardest fan-made baba level ive solved yet lol

i cannot fathom this solution is fully pared down, but given what i gathered of creation's reputation when i went reading up on the level after the fact, who knows, maybe it is

https://youtu.be/uAB7a6hL6Yo

i'd like to pass this crown to mirage, at least for difficulty

i wound up looking up the intended solution after solving it my way and while the principal interactions between swap, shift, and stop are the same, that application of it is the ultimate sokoban hell so fuuuuuuck that. i just made the level do it for me lol

here's the intended solve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGgw4rWpHg4

and this is what i did and also how dangerous it got: https://youtu.be/lJqWW2eFFIc

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
in all this colossal amount of time in and out of baba is empty it somehow never occurred to me until spontaneously just now to make empty near baba is you in conjunction with baba mimic empty, even though ive been on every side of everything but that exact rule combo across every tile of the map with every object under every condition imaginable. once it struck me to use that pair and the new tool it would grant me i solved the level in like 90 seconds because of everything within the aforementioned odyssey. it boggles my mind too that during all that as well as the clownshoes solve i used before the level was fixed, i never once landed on those rules together through sheer process of elimination or dumb luck. loving unbelievable honestly

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I have a real hard time wrapping my head around the Mimic rule.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Basically, X MIMIC Y means all rules applying to Y now also apply to X.
For instance, Y IS PUSH plus X MIMIC Y will effectively add X IS PUSH as well.
For a more complex interaction, Y IS Y plus X MIMIC Y will turn all X into Y, as it effectively adds X IS Y.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I mean, yeah, I get that, but it's hard for me to remember what everything IS so I'd know what I'd want to use MIMIC on.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

McFrugal posted:

I mean, yeah, I get that, but it's hard for me to remember what everything IS so I'd know what I'd want to use MIMIC on.

For this it may be useful to go to the pause menu and look for all lines that start with the Mimicked object; Mimic only copies rules where the targeted object is the "subject", i.e. the first word of the sentence.

Violen posted:

in all this colossal amount of time in and out of baba is empty it somehow never occurred to me until spontaneously just now to make empty near baba is you in conjunction with baba mimic empty, even though ive been on every side of everything but that exact rule combo across every tile of the map with every object under every condition imaginable. once it struck me to use that pair and the new tool it would grant me i solved the level in like 90 seconds because of everything within the aforementioned odyssey. it boggles my mind too that during all that as well as the clownshoes solve i used before the level was fixed, i never once landed on those rules together through sheer process of elimination or dumb luck. loving unbelievable honestly

Haha, I assume this is about the featured level? I have to admit that there's quite limited time/capability to playtest every level before adding them as featured levels, so there might be a couple there that are unreasonably nasty because the first couple steps seemed novel!

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Still dipping into this, was very satisfying to work out how DEFEAT was helpful in Flight Academy 2. Still got more MIMIC levels to go than anything else, the tip above about how to tell which sentences will be mimicked will hopefully pay dividends.

invlwhen
Jul 28, 2012

please do your best
https://twitter.com/babaisyou_/status/1533581712306970626

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Makes me think my BiY/What the Golf fusion idea is maybe feasible.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Anybody find the 'hidden ending' ? I tried several variations of Game Is ____ but anything except You seems to crash, while ____ Is Game only results in that object turning into a Baba text.

Hempuli has also made a few other freeware titles the past few months like Rude Chess, Keke in the Caves of Peril, and It's A Me!. They're of varying length and quality but all worth a look.

Swilo fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 6, 2022

invlwhen
Jul 28, 2012

please do your best
from the included lua:

code:
function gameblock()
	MF_setgameyou(0)

for i,frule in ipairs(rules) do
		local rule = frule[1]

if (rule[1] == "game") and (rule[2] == "is") then
			if (rule[3] == "you") then
				MF_setgameyou(1)
			end

if (rule[3] == "win") then
				MF_wingame()
				return
			end

if (rule[3] == "defeat") or (rule[3] == "sink") then
				MF_endgame()
				return
			end
		end
	end
end
no visibility into the MF_* functions but from my experience there doesn't seem to be any behavioral difference between win and defeat

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I feel like the "hidden" "ending" is just making the game close.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Finally beat Further Fields after coming back to this after a long break. Looked it up after doing it and found that there's a more elegant solution, I was thinking this one seemed too precise.

You move keke up from the first picture so that the two babas break KEKE IS YOU and push keke across the grass since KEKE IS PUSH is maintained. At that point nothing is you so it's fine. The third baba has to be positioned exactly so that once everything crosses the grass, BABA IS MOVE gets broken at the same moment KEKE IS YOU reforms on the other side and then you just walk up and grab the flag.

Found a few other solutions, haven't seen anyone doing this one.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Hi everyone! I've been slowly updating the game and fixing bugs here and there, but mostly this year has been spent on various side projects because at this point I've spent 1/6 of my entire life working on Baba Is You and it does take its toll. However, some (most) of the side projects have been at least Baba-themed, so I thought I'd post about them here.

Baba Is You XTREME - https://hempuli.itch.io/baba-is-you-xtreme
Already discussed above - it's basically a short, jokey take on the Baba mechanics. I meant for this to be an April Fools' joke, but missed the timing.

It's A Me! - https://hempuli.itch.io/its-a-me
A really short platformer with a gimmick. It doesn't really have anything to do with Baba other than having two characters from Baba appear in it, but the gimmick of the game might give you a laugh.

Keke in the Caves of Peril - https://hempuli.itch.io/keke-in-peril
A retro-styled puzzle game, not really Baba-like and fairly difficult, but if you're looking for some freeware puzzling, this could be up your alley. I made this originally for a Ludum Dare game jam a year ago, but polished it up this year for a proper release.

Baba Friend - https://hempuli.itch.io/baba-friend
Do you remember Bonzi Buddy? Do you remember that little program that'd make sheep walk on your desktop? This was inspired by the latter specifically, and it's a little toy that creates a Baba to walk on your screen. The toy also supports changing Baba to use custom art, if you want to have your own character or whatever on your desktop.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Found a few other solutions, haven't seen anyone doing this one.

Further Fields is a very open-ended level, some potential solutions even utilize some in-depth under-the-hood game logic to do stuff, haha.

McFrugal posted:

I feel like the "hidden" "ending" is just making the game close.

If you say Game Is Win, you get a little commemorative text in the top-right corner the next time you start the game; that's all.

Hempuli fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 28, 2022

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Hempuli posted:

Baba Friend - https://hempuli.itch.io/baba-friend
Do you remember Bonzi Buddy? Do you remember that little program that'd make sheep walk on your desktop? This was inspired by the latter specifically, and it's a little toy that creates a Baba to walk on your screen. The toy also supports changing Baba to use custom art, if you want to have your own character or whatever on your desktop.

Ive been using this one a bunch and i love that you can just open it a dozen times. For some reason they all seem to independently group up at a certain point in the bottom right of my screens tho, i guess the AI just loves that spot.

I also like the feature/bug that putting windows to sleep and then continuing makes their eyes disappear and also makes them all un"grabbable". Baba Is Spooky Ghost

e: i also cant quite get the petting thing to work and moving the mouse too fast while "carrying" seems to loose focus and just freezes the window in "mid air". But im experimenting with IDXGIOutputDuplication anyway so i might just try to whip up something in C#

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 1, 2022

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Ive been using this one a bunch and i love that you can just open it a dozen times. For some reason they all seem to independently group up at a certain point in the bottom right of my screens tho, i guess the AI just loves that spot.

I also like the feature/bug that putting windows to sleep and then continuing makes their eyes disappear and also makes them all un"grabbable". Baba Is Spooky Ghost

e: i also cant quite get the petting thing to work and moving the mouse too fast while "carrying" seems to loose focus and just freezes the window in "mid air". But im experimenting with IDXGIOutputDuplication anyway so i might just try to whip up something in C#

Glad to hear you've enjoyed it! :) The bug is completely unintended, interesting to hear repro steps because I hadn't seen those before.
For the petting, the default values might be a bit high; if you go to the settings (in AppData), you should be able to adjust the pet sensitivity.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Hempuli posted:

Glad to hear you've enjoyed it! :) The bug is completely unintended, interesting to hear repro steps because I hadn't seen those before.
Might be a win8.1 thing. Basically i just start a few instances, then hibernate the laptop, when i wake it back up they look like this and it seems the OnClick handler has gone missing (or lost a reference somewhere).

Definitely not spooky or cursed at all.

Hempuli posted:

For the petting, the default values might be a bit high; if you go to the settings (in AppData), you should be able to adjust the pet sensitivity.
Might be another Win8.1 thing, ive had my mouse hovering for 30s+ without seeing a change. Ill make sure again tho.

Been tinkering with my own Baba Is Many Friend in c# as a relaxing weekend toy and it's going reasonably well. As a side effect this just lets me spawn any number of Babas (with varying AI scripts) tied up in a single process, which is a bit easier to start and stop (and also enables interacting logic outside of raw screen pixel scans).

The behavior is just a basic state graph loaded from a csv but it's fine for what i want for now.

The "oncollide" test line makes Baba stop and blush when bumping into a different Baba, which has the adorable emergent side effect of them forming these localized clusters where they're all too busy being in love to move anywhere else :kimchi:

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 13, 2022

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Oh this is wonderful! My tools allow me very limited access to e.g. custom window designs so it's nice & slightly enviable to see these higher-performance & -utility versions!

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Hempuli posted:

Oh this is wonderful! My tools allow me very limited access to e.g. custom window designs so it's nice & slightly enviable to see these higher-performance & -utility versions!
Appreciate the kind words, although the approach (like all) certainly comes with its own set of drawbacks. Here's the latest draft in motion (left screen not captured):
https://twitch.tv/videos/1590310778
It's currently a very simple and naïve implementation that spends the vast majority of the time waiting for Windows to move the ... well, individual "baba" windows around, but that mostly only becomes a performance issue above 150-200 Babas.
I should obviously rewrite most of it to just drawn on a single transparent "window" spanning the entire desktop, but that'd also make the input handling (and most importantly: pass-through) a lot more cumbersome so i'm not in a hurry, and even on three large screens that's Way Too Many Babas.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The 00 levels are really fun, drat.

I'm actually really enjoying everything in the New Adventures, I'm so glad I came back to this game. There's so much more to it now.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Appreciate the kind words, although the approach (like all) certainly comes with its own set of drawbacks. Here's the latest draft in motion (left screen not captured):
https://twitch.tv/videos/1590310778
It's currently a very simple and naïve implementation that spends the vast majority of the time waiting for Windows to move the ... well, individual "baba" windows around, but that mostly only becomes a performance issue above 150-200 Babas.
I should obviously rewrite most of it to just drawn on a single transparent "window" spanning the entire desktop, but that'd also make the input handling (and most importantly: pass-through) a lot more cumbersome so i'm not in a hurry, and even on three large screens that's Way Too Many Babas.

Oh that looks amazing! 150 Babas sounds like more than enough, haha. Cool work! I see that the collision detection is also a bit smarter there.

GlyphGryph posted:

The 00 levels are really fun, drat.

I'm actually really enjoying everything in the New Adventures, I'm so glad I came back to this game. There's so much more to it now.

Thanks! Glad to hear that; the 00 levels were a lot of fun to design, too. Maybe the game should've have some more observation puzzles like that in general...?

EDIT:
Since I'm here, I recently put out a Halloween-themed puzzle game, The Plumber Thing:

It's part of a bundle: https://itch.io/b/1601/click-or-treat-2022

Hempuli fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 1, 2022

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Hempuli has just released a very wild combination of Baba Is you and Solitaire.

Babataire Ex

https://hempuli.itch.io/babataire-ex

This is playable in browser. God help you and me figure out what the hell to do here

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Baba Is Any# - thats about all you need to win because you can stack any non-10 card on any number of any suit

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

parthenocarpy posted:

Baba Is Any# - thats about all you need to win because you can stack any non-10 card on any number of any suit

I've updated the game to make Any# a bit less powerful! It felt like it was a bit too dominant compared to all the other rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I could have screenshotted this clearer, but I'm a little confused by the way the rules play out here:

Specifically, I placed the 5 (baba) + 4 (jiji) stack as one unit simultaneously on the bottom 2nd pile. I understand the previous placements that worked because of the Fofo Is On Any + Jiji Is Any Suit rules, but why does that allow me to place a Baba suit card on a Fofo card? I guess everything starting with the 10 (jiji) is considered "any suit," so I can stack any suit on any part of it?