Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Baba could be any number of 4 legged critters to be honest and that is what I love about Baba.

It's an onomatopoeia, shortened to four letters.

Sheep go "baa, baa".

I'm not very far yet (saving most of it for a long plane ride in May), but my favorite so far is the poem level ROSE is RED, VIOLET is BLUE, FLAG is WIN, BABA is YOU, just because it's cute. It was fun to figure out too, but that applies to most of the levels so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Your Computer posted:

if you're American, yes...

Or Swedish, or a number of other nationalities, as it happens. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-linguistic_onomatopoeias

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Æ/Ä is not A

There aren't any diacritics in the game.

I'm not saying it's impossible that the developer named this roundish, white, four-legged animal "baba" without intending it to be a sheep named after a sound sheep make, but it's not much of a stretch to guess that they did.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Without looking at the art for the game jam version of BABA, I just didn't see any solid evidence against the BABA is SHEEP theory. Having seen BABA's original form, however, while it could have been intended as some kind of weird anthropomorphized sheep, I'm less convinced than I was.

Tiny Island is a jerk.

I can get a couple keys like I did for the level before, and use them to move "is YOU" horizontally, but once I use a key to open up a hole above "WIN", I can't do that anymore, and I think I don't have enough space to have "X is YOU and" in position above "WIN" in advance.

What am I missing?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Qylvaran posted:

Tiny Island is a jerk.

First of all me, it's Tiny Isle.

Second, I got it. I just needed to mull it over a bit more.

I suspect I'm going to need something else to do on that plane ride. BABA is ADDICTIVE.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

an actual dog posted:

code:

TRASH
WITNESS is  (oo)

BABA is BEST

:colbert:

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Gaaaaah, Tiny Isle. I don't want a hint, I just want to know if I'm taking the right approach.

Not providing any new information, but if you prefer your hint in the form of a pun: You aren't. You're taking the down approach.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

How many times has everyone else gone "I know I was wrong all those other times, but this one actually has to be impossible. There's no way to get this to work.", and then some random interval later gone "Oh, of course! How could I have possibly missed this?"?

These are the moments I play puzzle games for, and they are happening over and over with this game. I haven't even gotten to all the stuff that I assume everyone's been winking at and blacktalking about.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Okay, I made it to the part where you start messing around with the LEVEL keyword. That's a fun way to break the pattern of "beat all the levels in the stage. go to the next stage". Garden is a mess of unfinished levels, though, since I feel like Maritime Adventures, among others, is going to be a pain to execute, even once I figure out the trick to it.

I've beaten two levels in ABC. AB and QUEUE have me right stumped. Is AB (the word) supposed to be able to make anything other than BABA? If not, how are you supposed to maintain a proper is YOU while moving the B and A?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Einwand posted:

A hint for AB, the belts exist for a reason, and it's possible to get all of them out for further use.
For the other level There's a reason that there's an IS that is 2 squares long

I got the first one. As for the second, I guessed that much, but the only place it seems like that would matter, I can't get a sentence that extends past the wall.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I got to the stage that's also a level. Am I just not Sokobanning well enough to get the key out? I can't figure a way to get the skull past the top-left baba while baba is push. Also the level in the rock is killing me.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Vookatos posted:

Nah, Sokoban shouldn't be the issue there. You should be able to do something else about those babas.

Thanks for the hint, but I figured it out right after I posted. Still have no clue about the other one.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 29, 2019

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Arist posted:

Welp, I just accidentally made the statement NOT BABA IS YOU

My head hurts

Just wait until you have to wrap your brain around EMPTY is PUSH.

Things I've turned into levels in Depths:
ROCK (still no lightbulbs on this one).
Both BABA.

Things I've made from levels:
SKULL.
ME.
The word LEVEL.

I haven't done anything with that extra IS in the corner with the 1-dot level. I feel like it wants to help me make FLAG is LEVEL, but I can't see a way to get LEVEL into position. I've beaten all the levels I've found on the screen save the rock one, and I don't see any more stuff to be made.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Qylvaran posted:

Things I've turned into levels in Depths:
ROCK (still no lightbulbs on this one).
Both BABA.

Things I've made from levels:
SKULL.
ME.
The word LEVEL.

I haven't done anything with that extra IS in the corner with the 1-dot level. I feel like it wants to help me make FLAG is LEVEL, but I can't see a way to get LEVEL into position. I've beaten all the levels I've found on the screen save the rock one, and I don't see any more stuff to be made.

I beat the rock, but I'm not happy about that particular aspect of SHUT/OPEN/HAS interaction. So now that I've got the orb and all the levels beaten, I still feel like something's incomplete in the depths. Anyone have a hint?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Nep-Nep posted:

Same level, Fragile Existence:

You can get back to it without too much difficulty, although it's a little fiddly. The rules for levels becoming objects and how they interact with the cursor are worth spending some time investigating, as they're not completely intuitive, and they're never spelled out.

Hint: whether the space you're on is a dotted line matters.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Facing is checked after movement.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Personally, the only puzzle where the solution bothered me that way so far has been Secure Cottage (I think that was the name), and I hear you patched that one out already.

The only other puzzles I haven't particularly liked have been ones with long, fiddly set up steps that you have to go through before you can confirm whether you had the right idea. There aren't too many of those, though.

I'm reserving judgment on Avalanche. My brain has made zero progress on it. Except for turning it into BABA, of course.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but what bothered me a bit about that level is...

Same for the last sentence. Nowhere else is it expressed or implied that there is a difference between OPEN being pushed onto SHUT and SHUT being pushed onto OPEN. Or that there's any situation where a HAS object would spawn in a space other than the one where the two objects met and annihilated. Everywhere else, even if a word interaction took me a while to guess, I've thought "Of course it works that way!" in the end.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

No, but that’s the only implicit rule, unless you’re also referring to OOP stuff.

I don't think that's quite true. I'm at the point-and-click adventure game mode of "Mash X against Y for all X and Y in the hopes that something happens" for Avalanche, and after making "not BABA is FALL", it looks like "TEXT is not FALL" unless explicitly specified, like in...Heavy Words I think it was?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Hokay...Completion Numbers: 221 levels, 11 blossoms, 3 orbs. All areas complete except for ???

I have not even the slightest idea what I could be missing there. Any gentle nudges? I found the level in the rock. Seems to be breaking the rules

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Can i just get a quick yes/no confirmation (no specifics) on Mean Fence that i need some external item from the overmap to use in or circumvent the level somehow that way? The available options in that one seem so limited that after a few hours i'm starting to be in denial that you aren't actually meant to solve it (hence the "mean") in its original state.

It's 100% possible. Facing may not mean what you think it means.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

McFrugal posted:

Is that really the plot? I didn't see much of anything supporting that conclusion in the game, and that ending just looked to me like the after-effects of playing one game for a long period of time. Like playing tetris so much you see blocks falling when you close your eyes. It might even be another statement on obsession, which was the main theme of Braid. Also, the person wakes up in the development studio for the game, so I don't think they're a tester, more like one of the designers playing their game. Wouldn't they be monitored or something if it was the first time anyone tried playing it for that long? I read that it's Jonathan Blow's house, even.

It's been a while since I've played it, but I remember that basically being the gist of all the post endgame 'candid' audio logs in the 'unfinished' areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I beat the game! All the way!

...but then I went to show someone the game on my laptop and it overwrote the complete file with the last time I'd played on the laptop, and my desktop downloaded the incomplete cloud save. :smith:

Love the game, Hempuli!