Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again
Xotl, that was great. Thank you!

E: If one were to read one MacDonald book, I take it that The Executioners would be the best / most representative sample?

uberkeyzer fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Or, if you are Eagleton, "how much does it make us want to smash the system"

Just came across this line in Eagleton's book that seems on point

"Some texts are born literary, some achieve literariness, and some have literariness thrust upon them."

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Not to step too far away from the current discussion, but those excerpt from DODO had me wondering: are there iconic instances of books where the prose is subjectively "bad" by technical or widely accepted aesthetic standards, but work in favor of the thematic "goal" of the book, and succeed in creating an artistic whole?

Maybe that's a dumb question, and admittedly I don't know that I have the literary vocabulary to express my question any better, but hopefully I got across what I'm asking.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

Not to step too far away from the current discussion, but those excerpt from DODO had me wondering: are there iconic instances of books where the prose is subjectively "bad" by technical or widely accepted aesthetic standards, but work in favor of the thematic "goal" of the book, and succeed in creating an artistic whole?

Maybe that's a dumb question, and admittedly I don't know that I have the literary vocabulary to express my question any better, but hopefully I got across what I'm asking.

do you mean something like "Flowers for Algernon"?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tim Burns Effect posted:

do you mean something like "Flowers for Algernon"?

I guess so, yes. I hadn't thought of it, but it is kind of emblematic of what I'm describing.

To dig in a little deeper, I suppose I was just curious reading those DODO excerpts whether there was any artistic justification for some of those prose choices. I've never read the book, so the answer may be a simple "not really", but in general I'm just as interested in exploring when genre fic succeeds in reaching some artistic merit, even if it's through an unorthodox approach, as I am in dissecting what it does wrong.

Not to say that isn't anybody else's aim, I just know I can probably find a lot of reasons why any given fantasy or sci-fi novel are bad or unsuccessful, but I personally couldn't always spot the diamonds in the rough or articulate why a given passage or element of a book is successful.

Edit: this is tangentially related at best but for example, The Dispossessed seems to be commonly acknowledged as literary scifi with some degree of artistic merit, and it definitely impacted me when I read it, but I couldn't break down what it did well. I'd love to see someone dig into what it accomplishes and how.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 17, 2019

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

FactsAreUseless posted:

Literature doesn't have to be thematic - I'd suggest looking at an author like Daniel Orozco whose stories focus on experience, not theme. Literature needs to have good prose, but otherwise there's a wide range of things it can do.

This is off-topic, but I'll recommend Daniel Orozco's short story collection Orientation at every opportunity, so... yeah. If you like short stories at all, go read Orientation.

Nerdburger_Jansen
Jan 1, 2019

FactsAreUseless posted:

Literature doesn't have to be thematic - I'd suggest looking at an author like Daniel Orozco whose stories focus on experience, not theme. Literature needs to have good prose, but otherwise there's a wide range of things it can do.

:eng101:

I wonder if this is still "dumb as poo poo?"

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Nerdburger_Jansen posted:

The problem you run into with fantasy is that you run into a lot of unrelatable silliness.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Yes. I'm not sure what FactsAreUseless means by a text not being "thematic". Anything that a text communicates to a reader is a theme. If anything means anything at all, no matter how trivial or even literal, that's a theme. It is unavoidable in human communication.

Out of curiosity, I just read Orozco's story "Orientation" for context, and I would hardly call it a themeless piece of writing.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

uberkeyzer posted:

Xotl, that was great. Thank you!

E: If one were to read one MacDonald book, I take it that The Executioners would be the best / most representative sample?

Thanks, glad you liked it. :) I hope it prompts people to check out an author I greatly respect and perhaps sparks some discussion.

If we're talking "best", I don't think The Executioners is it, although I should really point out that I'm in the vast minority there: most fans of his consider it one of his best, if not his outright best, so I don't think you're likely to go wrong even if I'm meh on it. It certainly has a lot of common MacDonald themes: the non-action hero lead stumbling into a situation he's not equipped for, the atavistic antagonist, the ruminations on modern American society.

If you want to see him at what I think is his finest, I'd pick 1952's The Damned, which is another multiple-perspective narrative. It's about a diverse cast of characters who wind up stuck at a broken-down ferry crossing at the Mexico border (MacDonald, who spent some years in Mexico, would feature the country a lot in his stories). You've got a mix of innocents and criminals and hard-luck cases becoming jammed up at this crossing, and I think he handles it beautifully. Also strong is The Only Girl in the Game, and I'm rather fond of All These Condemned. Lastly, I think The End of the Night is not just interesting to talk about but a fine novel.

Since his most famous creation by far is Travis McGee, you'd also be good to start with the first one in that series, The Deep Blue Good-by. I plan to tackle that one later if I feel the interest is there.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 17, 2019

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Xotl posted:

Since his most famous creation by far is Travis McGee, you'd also be good to start with the first one in that series, The Deep Blue Good-by. I plan to tackle that one later if I feel the interest is there.

I'd be interested! That was a good post and I'd like to read more. That first passage about the executions was impressive -- pulpy, sure, but effective and clearly written with full authorial control.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Xotl posted:

Thanks, glad you liked it.

Keep posting! It's interesting stuff and I'm glad to see more people posting!

I have a different book to review tomorrow as I need to drag Way of Kings out of my flooded house.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

my flooded house
drat, that sucks. Hope recovery is going well.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

This is off-topic, but I'll recommend Daniel Orozco's short story collection Orientation at every opportunity, so... yeah. If you like short stories at all, go read Orientation.
I have a signed hardcover copy from a reading he did, so yes, I have read it. It's so good. I'm usually the person telling everyone to read this so it's cool to see other people know about it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Yes. I'm not sure what FactsAreUseless means by a text not being "thematic". Anything that a text communicates to a reader is a theme. If anything means anything at all, no matter how trivial or even literal, that's a theme. It is unavoidable in human communication.

Out of curiosity, I just read Orozco's story "Orientation" for context, and I would hardly call it a themeless piece of writing.
It's not as though you can write anything that doesn't have themes, but Orozco has talked about how seeks to capture specific experiences rather than set out to explore a theme. It's not that one is a better approach than the other, I just think the defining element of literature is the prose, not its thematic depth.

edit: but at a certain point it's just relitigating the "what is literature" question, which I'm assuming was more than sufficiently addressed in the last thread so I'll drop it

What are you talking about?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

FactsAreUseless posted:

What are you talking about?

he's been doing a bad gimmick for a while

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's not as though you can write anything that doesn't have themes, but Orozco has talked about how seeks to capture specific experiences rather than set out to explore a theme. It's not that one is a better approach than the other, I just think the defining element of literature is the prose, not its thematic depth.
Oh yeah, thematic depth doesn't have to be the focus of a text. Thanks for clarifying.

Also, hey Nerdburger:

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's not as though you can write anything that doesn't have themes
The guy you quoted is saying literally the exact thing we've already been telling you.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Oh yeah, thematic depth doesn't have to be the focus of a text. Thanks for clarifying.
Yeah sorry, I'm not always great at expressing my thoughts w/r/t books.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah sorry, I'm not always great at expressing my thoughts w/r/t books.

new forum title please

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

In Foucault's Pendulum, there's a part where the protagonist finds his friend's notes including his attempts at writing, the texts are intentionally of a lesser quality than the main prose but they are important in a narrative and thematic sense

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Also, I've been meaning to talk about this for a while. It seems that in anglo schools there's a lot of emphasis in analyzing a text for themes and while I don't think it's a bad excercise, maybe it's a bit too much for young kids. Here in my country in South America the main focus of literature classes in primary and secondary school is mastery of the language (and that's the metric by which a book is considered proper literature) and you're supposed to just enjoy the books because the language conveys meaning in an aesthetically interesting way; later in school we go a bit into style/prose but I didn't touch thematic analysis until college, when you're taking specific lit courses and wanna delve into theme, genre, symbolism, semiotics, etc.

Somewhere in the old thread someone mentioned that making high school kids in the US do thematic analysis kinda burns them on good books because it makes them think that reading *real* literature is homework and it kinda made sense but since I don't live there I don't have a good perspective on the issue, only my outsider view

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

There is a "literature is homework!" aspect to it, but a far larger problem is textbooks and teachers that aggressively push the One True Meaning of the work in question - often one that is exceedingly unlikely or even impossible to have been intended. This can range from "prominent use of the color blue always means that the author was suffering from depression, while red invariably signifies that the story is an allegory for anger management" through "the Mask of The Red Death is about the futility of the First World War" to "A Tale Of Two Cities is about Charles Dickens's struggle with his closeted homosexuality".

All of these are things I was "taught" in school literature classes. All of them, of course, are absolutely ludicrous notions - although the last one was at least supported with some decent reasoning.

This is a recipe for students to not just dislike "literature" (however you define the term), but to view the entire field of literary analysis as a pretentious circlejerk.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pacho posted:

Somewhere in the old thread someone mentioned that making high school kids in the US do thematic analysis kinda burns them on good books because it makes them think that reading *real* literature is homework

this is 100% true

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Gnoman posted:

"prominent use of the color blue always means that the author was suffering from depression, while red invariably signifies that the story is an allegory for anger management" through "the Mask of The Red Death is about the futility of the First World War" to "A Tale Of Two Cities is about Charles Dickens's struggle with his closeted homosexuality".

All of these are things I was "taught" in school literature classes.

Yikes

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Where did you go to school? Jesus Christ.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
i do kind of wish people could get over this, like, 'i had one bad teacher so i wrote off a whole field' angst. but as a teacher, i can understand why the grudge seems to persist.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

i do kind of wish people could get over this, like, 'i had one bad teacher so i wrote off a whole field' angst. but as a teacher, i can understand why the grudge seems to persist.

I think it's something that a lot of people can hold grudges about, but it's always kind of odd/sad to me that literature (and possibly the arts in general?) is the one where people take this "one bad teacher" grudge to mean the entire endeavor is stupid and worthless. I had a pretty lovely physics teacher in high school and never really pursued the field afterwards, but that didn't turn me into a geocentrist.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Antivehicular posted:

I think it's something that a lot of people can hold grudges about, but it's always kind of odd/sad to me that literature (and possibly the arts in general?) is the one where people take this "one bad teacher" grudge to mean the entire endeavor is stupid and worthless. I had a pretty lovely physics teacher in high school and never really pursued the field afterwards, but that didn't turn me into a geocentrist.

I think it's partly that it's a more subjective field, partly that it tends to be a refuge for poor and underqualified teachers. Lord knows the ability to read and think critically is not common. In many schools the people supposedly teaching literature can't do it, so you end up with a spectacle equivalent to someone who can't count on their fingers being asked to teach math. The kids realize they're being conned, even if they don't know precisely how, and welp

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I was fortunate to have highschool teachers that were pretty good at teaching lit but I've known people who got real turned off from books in general because in highschool they'd spend like a week on stuff like, say, what does the green light mean??

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think it's partly that it's a more subjective field, partly that it tends to be a refuge for poor and underqualified teachers. Lord knows the ability to read and think critically is not common. In many schools the people supposedly teaching literature can't do it, so you end up with a spectacle equivalent to someone who can't count on their fingers being asked to teach math. The kids realize they're being conned, even if they don't know precisely how, and welp

This is sad but it’s true. I studied to be a secondary English teacher (dropped it like a hot potato in the middle of student teaching when I realized I actively loathe classroom management and also that Kids These Days loving suck) but I had at least a handful of fellow masters in education students who actively sucked rear end at understanding literature themselves. Some were even vocal about thinking the classics were “overrated” or not that important.

Also a shocking number of English teachers hate poetry and refuse to teach it any more than they’re required to (so, sometimes literally not at all). I can’t fathom why you would become an English teacher if you actively dislike one of the three main forms of literature. Like, it would be totally ridiculous for an English teacher to hate fiction or hate drama, but it’s acceptable for some reason for them to hate poetry.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Doctor Faustine posted:

I prefer the term “pulp” to mean “thing bad” and “literary” to mean “thing good,” where either can be applied to any genre. So within fantasy you’d have pulp fantasy (Sanderson, Gurm, Rothfuss, honestly most fantasy because most fantasy sucks rear end) and literary fantasy (LeGuin, Peake). And naturally some poo poo that’s kind of in the middle.

Pulp fantasy absolutely includes Robert Howard, Lieber, and Jack Vance, though, all of who may have disputable literary value but aren't "thing bad"

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Xotl's posts are exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to see from this new thread. I hope to see more of them, from more people.

MockingQuantum posted:

I doubt it, but I can't say for certain that there aren't. For context, the quoted section of D.O.D.O. is written from the perspective of a character trapped in a stressful situation, and also in 1850s England, writing in haste with a fountain pen, which is the diegetic reason for the struck-out text. D.O.D.O. is an epistolary novel written from multiple different perspectives which increasingly crowd out this first one, which range in style from diary entry to letter to bureaucratic report to chat log. My personal favorite POV comes from letters written by a native of 1603 London, which is distinct in style from everything else given the time period (though it may not be historically accurate). I don't get the sense of deliberate stylization from the quoted section; it's more likely that what bothered OnsetOutsider are either the result of then-58-year-old Stephenson attempting to write much younger characters, or otherwise unrelated mistakes.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 17, 2019

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I know for a lot of my friends from high school who have since "rediscovered" reading good literature, it was a combination of teachers choosing works of literature that were often dry or a touch impenetrable to a 14-year-old (I like stuff like Moby Dick but it's hardly an easy sell for a teenager with a crappy attention span and little interest in the book to begin with) and the teaching style. At least when I was in high school there was a trend towards teaching analysis as if a book was solvable or that every single symbol warranted deep and involved deconstruction, and more painfully, that there was somehow a correct solution to deep reading of a book. It's one thing to be told you got the wrong answer for an algebraic formula, where there's an explainable reason why, it's another thing to be told, by a lit teacher that you've already kind of figured out doesn't know what they're talking about, that you have the wrong answer to a heavily subjective question.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I absolutely agree with Quantum that the big failing of traditional education about literature is that it treats the text as a puzzle box to be unlocked. Nothing is as tedious and soul-draining as looking for "symbols" in a text.

The two most miserable experiences I can remember in high school were The Scarlet Letter and Lord of the Flies, and both of thes books were essentially hijacked in the name of a sort of objective puzzle solving reading. I hope one day to return to those books, especially Scarlet Letter, and allow myself to find my own way through the text instead of having to decode what it means that the seaweed made a green A.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I absolutely agree with Quantum that the big failing of traditional education about literature is that it treats the text as a puzzle box to be unlocked. Nothing is as tedious and soul-draining as looking for "symbols" in a text.

The two most miserable experiences I can remember in high school were The Scarlet Letter and Lord of the Flies, and both of this books were essentially hijacked for the name of a sort of objective puzzle solving reading. I hope one day to return to those books, especially Scarlet Letter, and allow myself to find my own way through the text instead of having to decode what it means that the seaweed made a green A.

I'm sort of lucky that I dodged both of those, I got to see Frankenstein and To Kill A Mockingbird murdered instead, and I had read both before they got forcibly deconstructed, so at least I had a chance to enjoy them on their own merits.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm sort of lucky that I dodged both of those, I got to see Frankenstein and To Kill A Mockingbird murdered instead, and I had read both before they got forcibly deconstructed, so at least I had a chance to enjoy them on their own merits.

Fortunately I didn't recall hating the experience of reading TKAM, which is ironic, because in adulthood I do really dislike the book

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It isnt, that is my point.

Can you expand on this? Because it seems obviously wrong to me.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Solitair posted:

I doubt it, but I can't say for certain that there aren't. For context, the quoted section of D.O.D.O. is written from the perspective of a character trapped in a stressful situation, and also in 1850s England, writing in haste with a fountain pen, which is the diegetic reason for the struck-out text. D.O.D.O. is an epistolary novel written from multiple different perspectives which increasingly crowd out this first one, which range in style from diary entry to letter to bureaucratic report to chat log.

The reports and chat logs are definitely examples of intentional bad writing, like this, for example:

quote:

DODO WHITE PAPER

UDET: OR, DIACHRONIC MISSION DURATION
BY REBECCA EAST-ODA

Submitted to ODIN archive, Day 622

The recent influx of funding and new personnel has led DODO staff to look more deeply into certain aspects of how diachronic operations are conducted that hitherto we had just taken for granted. In particular, the need to schedule complex missions, such as the upcoming kalonji-related DEDEs, has forced us to think in greater detail about the duration of missions and how many can be scheduled in a given span of time.

Most of DODO’s experience has centered on the colonial Boston and Elizabethan London DEDEs conducted last year by Dr. Stokes and LTC Lyons respectively. Both of these were of relatively brief duration. Dr. Stokes was able to accomplish her tasks in the course of a single day. With the exception of the first repetition, LTC Lyons’s DEDE was a “sleepover” in which he had to spend one night at the DTAP. In all of these cases, the responsible witches (KCWs Karpathy, Fitch, and Gráinne) acted in a way that preserved “Unity of DOer-Experienced Time,” hereinafter UDET. The idea of UDET is simple and can be quickly explained: if Dr. Stokes experienced eight hours of elapsed time during her mission in colonial Boston, then the same span of time separated her being Sent by Karpathy from the ODEC to the DTAP and her reappearance in the ODEC upon being returned home by KCW Fitch. Likewise, when LTC Lyons spent approximately twenty-four hours in the 1601 London DTAP, the same amount of elapsed time occurred between his being Sent there and his being “Homed” by KCW Gráinne. UDET means that from the point of view of the DOer as well as observers in the facility, it is as if the DOer walked through a door into another room, spent eight or twenty-four hours there, and then walked back through the same door.

This does not pose a serious inconvenience for short missions. By contrast, however, the nature of the kalonji DEDE is such that it cannot be accomplished in less than approximately two months. For those unfamiliar with the premise of this DEDE, a short explanation follows: we are attempting to recruit Winnifred Dutton, a potential KCW in Antwerp circa 1560. The only way we have found to motivate her is by supplying her with samples of an herb called kalonji, which is rare and nearly unobtainable in her time and place. We have found a source for kalonji seeds in Constantinople circa 1200, which is a DTAP of interest to us anyway. The current plan of record is to send one DOer to 1200 Constantinople to obtain the seeds. She will then hand them off to a wilderness survival expert (Strider class) who will carry them overland to Belgium and sow them in a known location where we think that they will thrive. It should then be possible to visit that location circa 1560 and harvest the herb in the wild. The plan’s primary drawback is that the overland journey from Constantinople to Belgium is projected to take two months, and it will have to be repeated on at least three Strands in order for it to “take.” Our Strider will therefore have to experience a total of at least six months of (our) elapsed time in that DTAP.

If the mission is performed in a way that preserves UDET, then the Strider will indeed be absent for a total of six months.

If, on the other hand, we can arrange for the Strider to be “Homed” from 1200 Belgium only a few minutes after he is Sent to 1200 Constantinople, then the entire series of missions could be conducted in less than a day, as time is perceived by those of us here in modern-day Boston. The Strider would still be six months older at the end of it, and would have six months’ worth of memories from his journeys, but the clock, as far as DODO is concerned, would only have advanced a few hours.

The latter procedure is obviously a more efficient use of time as far as DODO is concerned. Moreover, to the extent DODO is engaged in a competition versus the diachronic operations agencies of foreign powers, we must assume that our adversaries are making use of such optimization wherever possible and are getting their jobs done that much more quickly.

This single white paper goes on for another couple pages! A lot of this material is at least partially intended to be a satire of military bureaucracy, which is such a limp and dated target for parody that I imagine it was constructed primarily as a diegetic excuse for bad writing and exposition dumps.

Solitair posted:

My personal favorite POV comes from letters written by a native of 1603 London, which is distinct in style from everything else given the time period (though it may not be historically accurate).

Can you quote it?

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
whoops, double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Fortunately I didn't recall hating the experience of reading TKAM, which is ironic, because in adulthood I do really dislike the book

but you see, Boo Radley is the personification of the kids' fear of becoming adults and the death of their childhood, and you see she's called Scout because she's searching for her nascent femininity