Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

FactsAreUseless posted:

Does anyone have some examples of genre fiction that does a good job with descriptive language? I've always been frustrated by the inability of a lot of authors to describe these worlds they're trying to create. It's especially bad in fantasy - I see too many authors rely on either suggestion or some Lovecraft-style "the thing was too horrible to describe but hoo boy, believe me when I say it sucked" prose - but I know there have to be some that are decent at it. I remember Bradbury's prose being strong but it's been so long since I read any of his work that I can't say whether or not it actually was.

Mervyn Peake is basically exactly what you want, botl had a good writeup in the other thread. Jack Vance’s Dying Earth stories as well, though his “descriptive language” works less to describe an exact world than it does to spark your imagination. Also a writeup in the other thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Doctor Faustine posted:

I prefer the term “pulp” to mean “thing bad” and “literary” to mean “thing good,” where either can be applied to any genre. So within fantasy you’d have pulp fantasy (Sanderson, Gurm, Rothfuss, honestly most fantasy because most fantasy sucks rear end) and literary fantasy (LeGuin, Peake). And naturally some poo poo that’s kind of in the middle.

Pulp fantasy absolutely includes Robert Howard, Lieber, and Jack Vance, though, all of who may have disputable literary value but aren't "thing bad"

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

The_White_Crane posted:

See, that's interesting to me, because I'd argue that many works of art in fields like painting and sculpture absolutely don't serve that purpose. If you look at, for example, something by Jackson Pollock, how on Earth can you use this

to see the world from a different perspective? I mean, I find some works of abstract art beautiful, but I wouldn't say that they're meaningful, certainly not in the sense you're suggesting.
Uhhhh... maybe if you completely ignore any and all context or history or basically anything other than "hey it's tyool 2019 and there's paint on a canvas" then maybe you can try to claim that Pollock's work isn't meaningful? Even then, just standing in front of one of his works for a few minutes provokes emotions, thoughts, questions. "Abstract art isn't meaningful" isn't a great claim to make, and trying to make it through Pollock is even less great.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Bilirubin posted:

:colbert: what's wrong with keys I ask?

So you would take it the further step that the emotion provoked (because some art does do this immediately) leads to further contemplation?

I think of my personal feeling about van Gogh. I would see his paintings in a book and never got why he was such a celebrated artist. His work just looked, well, accomplished but juvenile. Then I visited the Musee d'Orsay and saw his work in person--I literally turned around in the middle of the (crowded ) room and his paintings leapt to life. It was thrilling and awe inspiring. What meaning is there beyond "holy hell how did he manage to animate a painting"?

But I accept that can be my own failing not being well educated in art vOv

It's an issue in that painting and sculpture have an inherently physical component, and looking at a 3" by 4" digital reproduction on your screen eliminates the impact from that component entirely. In some ways it's like understanding a novel by reading the wikipedia synopsis. You look at Rothko on your screen and go "ho hum it's just some orange and blue stuff whatever man" but standing in front of a giant wall of orange massed over washes of blue is an emotional experience.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sure. Humans ascribe meaning to almost anything. But in Pollock's case particularly, what seems to be happening is that viewers subconsciously recognize the fractal patterns as pleasurable (or not), then those viewers ascribe meanings of their own to that response. It's the artistic equivalent of throwing a grenade into a pond to see how everyone reacts. It's "artistic" because it takes a lot of skill to evoke responses in the way Pollock did it (via subconsciously-recognized fractal patterns).
but it absolutely is a grenade in the pond? Half of art history is artists going and finding the biggest rock they can and hucking it in the art reflection pool. Fractal pattern appeal, CIA, whatever - the first thing you see when viewing Pollock’s paintings is a gigantic whirlwind of destruction and creation, and there’s loads of meaning behind that when you look at the times and the culture it was made in.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

The_White_Crane posted:

Firstly, it only can be considered a rejection of the idea that art must be representational if you accept that it is art. Now I do, as it happens, but if someone's starting from the premise that art must be representational, then this painting is ergo not art but something else, and fails to say anything about art.
that question has been convincingly answered for a long, long time now. The viewer doesn’t get to decide what is or is not presented as art.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

The_White_Crane posted:

I think the problem I'm having here is that from my perspective, if you have to look for meaning in something, that's not what I'd call "self-evident".
Hmm.
We are having a discussion in the book forum about critical thinking as it relates to literature and other art, and you are arguing that meaning is not “self-evident” if you have to engage with a work to see it. This is pure nonsense.

Edit:

The_White_Crane posted:

I truly don't mean to sound like a dismissive rear end in a top hat when I say this, so I apologise if that's how it comes off, but I'd contend that you didn't find meaning in the painting so much as you invented a narrative about it.
congratulations, you just found meaning

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 19, 2019

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
The concept I have of death of the author is basically that the primary relationship is between the viewer and the work, and as such the author has no say in how a viewer relates to that work. If the viewer comes up with some off-the-wall interpretation the author doesn’t get to say, “no, you’re wrong because this is what I actually intended.”

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Really obvious example: dude in college sculpture class carves a rough human figure out of a 4’ tall redwood block, chars half of the figure with a blowtorch and gets worked up in the group critique when people see a burnt boy. Sorry dude, doesn’t matter what you intended the piece to be about - you don’t get to decide that people are wrong for seeing burnt boy.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Gnoman posted:

He didn't try to correct how people see it - he took the criticism, decided that those two jokes probably were not good, and resolved to avoid the subject in the future.

My point is not "those jokes could not be taken as offensive", it is "you should not take those two jokes to declare that the entire work is ragingly transphobic. and that the author hates all trans people."
You’ve got it backwards. The author puts their stuff out in the world. People interact with the stuff. People find their own meanings in the stuff. Those meanings are between them and the stuff, not them and the author.

From what I gather in the Barthes essay he’s saying that given all the possible conscious and unconscious influences on the author, the stuff, and the viewer, it’s impossible to have a concrete definition of intent; because there is no concrete definition of intent there is no One True Way to interpret a work; because there is no One True Way to interpret a work the primary relationship is then not the author to the work or the author to the reader, but of the reader to the work.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Georgia O’Keefe said it a thousand times, they’re just flowers you loving perverts

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

My friend I was thinking about with using Death of an Author as a bludgeon, they went from magic isn't real in fantasy, to fiction isn't even a real genre and all books are just the way you could see reality.
:350:

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Sampatrick posted:

Well, the reason why they're not called shapeshifters, you see, is because calling them shapeshifters would be boring. Note that no culture in history calls something a shapeshifter, they have names for the things that do the act of shapeshifting. D'ivers is absolutely a stupid name but calling them shapeshifters would have been just as stupid.
he should have called them dragons

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Still reading Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino and it is absolutely explicit in the unreliability, the un-reality even, of its characters, story, everything. He disguises nothing with voice or prose, and yet disguises everything. I find it far more interesting and exciting to read than Gene Wolfe’s Totally Unreliable Narrator Torture Guy books, where it felt like I had to closely read a dullard’s description of his passive life to see if the boring details all jived.

Marco Polo describes a city made of memories, imaginations, future memories, outright lies, and in two pages of straightforward writing my brain gets loving lit up - what does authenticity actually mean; does our remembered experience create meaning and reality even though none of the memories are real; what is reality anyways?

anyways in conclusion cities are dragons

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Appropriate that Donaldson creams himself over it: “And he does so in lucid prose as seamless as oil.”

what even is that sentence. its so bad

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I’m confused. Were-wolf = man-wolf is not using common language to describe a human being that changes into a wolf? And the argument that naming things plainly in fantasy books is boring writing isn’t silly and wrong? Is it Opposite Day again?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
not as boring as dragons, though

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Bringing it back to genre, I've been thinking of the contrast between Lieber & Rothfuss, where Qvothe skips over a bunch of his history sailing around with pirates and doing what sounds like a bunch of potentially interesting poo poo. It ends up sticking out like a sore thumb because he's supposed to be this amazing heroic guy, and lots of pirate adventure stuff sounds like it would have some Story Reasons for him being hero man, and wait, we don't get to hear any of it and suddenly hes a boring student. Whoops actually none of the stuff he has cool fantasy names for has happened yet. It was all just Rothfuss going, "Dude, what if your year before college was like, a pirate adventure??" before he took another big bong rip and passed it to his editor.

If I remember it correctly Fafhrd & the Mouser sail clear across the world and then out of it into the land of Death, and between Newhon and Death Lieber makes it clear that the two had all kinds of interesting adventures and scrapes. The omission doesn't bother me at all, though, and just serves to enhance the story - the two men did all sorts of stuff I want to know about, but that isn't as important as entering the land of DEATH and staring him down face-to-face to try and win back their lives and souls. The serial nature of Lieber's work helps a little, because hey, maybe I'll get to hear some of those stories another time, but I suppose that there's no reason that can't apply to qvothes neverending story as well.

anyways Fritz Lieber is cool and good no milkshake duck plz

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Jaxyon posted:

weeeelll there is that character in book 9 who's not treated so good.

how the gently caress do you get to book 9

i think i got to a book 9 in the original dragonlance series in like 7th grade and the only book 9 ive managed since then was reading Patrick O’Brian on vacation. still wasn’t worth it

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

nankeen posted:

what about the holy bible?

Talk about purple prose

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
BoTNS just feels like such a boring chore to read. Any questions that come up all seem to be about nerdy fandom stuff that requires painful close reading to find answers that don’t mean anything.

There’s dense, meaty writing that’s an absolute joy to read bit by bit, over and over, and there’s writing that provokes big, open questions and meditations, but botns doesn’t do either for me. Is Severian a dullard, or a dullard from the future??! Who loving cares

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
what if the acorn was a dragon in titty armor

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
the dragon was part of us all along (the extremely busty titty + voluptuous rear end part)

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
distributing my feeble literary seed to every corner of the globe, my plentiful writerly failsons will carry on my legacy of extremely sub-par writings. ganbare

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Titus Groan is an absolute pleasure to read. I think the closest genre gets to it might be Jack Vance's Dying Earth (also conveniently previously critiqued by BotL). Vance's writing carries the baroque flavor of Titus but takes it in a lighter, more playful direction vs the dense meatiness of Peake. I guess you could say Gene Wolfe, too, but Book of the New Sun just feels tedious and obfuscatory.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

and she's allowed to be a major character in the sequel.
the idea that there's a sequel (please say it's a trilogy) to that mess is hilarious. hyper-intelligent space spiders, clearly a rich literary vein to mine

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

VictualSquid posted:

I am saying that stat-blocks work well in games, work OK in visual novels and are absolutely terrible in actual novels/literature.
A lot of the current trends in pulp novels can't really be understood by only looking at novels.

bring back botl with the stipulation that they can only harass and shame people with these kind of opinions tia

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
In the context of the original purpose of this thread and its predecessor, all of it

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
“Let’s use critical literary analysis to examine sci-fi and other genre fiction and discuss if genre can have true value as literature”

“well the japanese number story games are cool when they have numbers and sometimes the numbers are cool in comic books too bleep bloop boop”

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

nankeen posted:

we have come to the death of the mind

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

chernobyl kinsman posted:

yeah its like moby dick in that its long and old but its unlike moby dick in that, as noted above, most of the civilian population of paris gets drowned in piss, and also in every other way

Herman Melville actually loved piss now let me just deconstruct Moby Dick through my critical piss-lense

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
firstly, the name of the book Moby dick

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The good is that this book is well written and the prose actually works with what the book is trying to do.

lol

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
would you like to read my magnum opus on the nature of man and his struggle: "Raped in the Butt By African Space Hyenas"

you see i will make it extremely graphic and real such that the reader can truly understand and empathize, especially about the african space hyena part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Sampatrick posted:

There are some weird racist undertones in your post that I really don't feel like unpacking

edit: whoops i was totally confused and read "r scott bakker" as the author the whole time which puts a leeeetle different spin on it

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 2, 2019