Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
yo is this where the Lamp cultists are? I am totally fine with eating a punishment here cuz I guess this could be interpreted as 'helping to avoid a ban' tho if it helps I promise to not post any more messages from BotL, I just feel this situation warrants it plus I gave him my word that I would and as a dopey canuck I know you never break your bond with a vicious finn, the russians know it and now you know it

From that realm of hungry ghosts known as discord posted:

I read Franchescanado’s post, and I can say that it’s mostly bullshit, apparently to retroactively justify the permaban.

I haven’t stalked anyone or followed goons into threads. The reason it seemed that way that this is a relatively small site and we share a lot of the same interests. Sometimes I lurked on subforums where I usually don’t post, and occasionally broke my silence there.

With Francescenado, we argued about a movie once in Cinema Discusso, and later I made a snide remark about it in The Book Barn, in a thread were I had already been posting years. Is it too much to bring up an old argument? Maybe, but it’s not stalking or harassment. I was snide to almost everyone in every subforum.

If bringing up old arguments in different threads and subforums ss stalking and harassment, then I have had dozens of stalkers and harassers after me, including a mod (nine-gear crow) as a lot of goons will attest. Some of these harassment claims in fact come from goons who were doing exactly the same things that qualified me as a “stalker”. Maybe try getting that log in their eye first before accusing me of anything.

As for CelticPredator, the thing is that we just don’t like each other, or the movies that the other liked. This is obviously a death sentence for getting along on CD where we unfortunately tended to post in the same threads. Yes, I insulted him all the time, but he’s not exactly unwilling to take snipes at others either. I found him to be whiny and babyish.
I never followed him into the CineD discord. I was on the Discord some months already before I exchanged any words there with him. What happened was that he was incredulous that I would really be there and asked who I really was. I said I certainly wasn’t the guy who whined about people not liking a Star Wars movie. Again, maybe too much to bring up some old arguments, but that’s still not harassment or stalking. That was the extent of our off-site interaction.

I understand he suffers from some degree of depression and anxiety, and I sympathize. But to me he seemed to use that as an excuse, which is why I once compared him to Harold Skimpole from Bleak House. His posting style frustrated me, and I expressed that frustration in many ways over the years.

However, doing that for so long, unprovoked, was cruel and undeserved. I admit, I was trying to get under his skin, and for that I am sorry.

I was permabanned for being continuously negative, and I’m okay with that. Trying to justify it further and retroactively with claims of stalking and harassment is just ridiculous. I'd like to be done with SA, not be saddled with this nonsense. I'm okay with people hating me, just don't claim that criticizing something you liked is a form of harassment

I'll my own thoughts on the whole kerfuffle in qcs, in case anyone wants the ammo to burn me in the future

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Discworld isn't very funny. It is occasionally cute, mostly boring, it's jokes and commentary don't really measure up to stuff like Asterix.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Stuporstar posted:

This is one thing I gotta give Tolkien credit for, having a lowly nobody rise to the challenge of taking the pedigreed symbol of oppression and flinging it into a pit of lava. Most of his imitators have missed that loving point

The landed gentry fellow tried to keep it, his enslaved wretch bit it off him and fell in. But that was his stated goal tbf

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

She seems nice, but her hour long 'whats wrong with the hobbits' video critique is just her reminiscing about how LOTR made her feel!

Does she get to the analysis in part 2? I would hope so but who knows lol

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Srice posted:

The best part of her Hobbit video is when she gets into the behind the scenes stuff, it really shines a light on just how much of a nightmarish mess those movies were.

I guess I will reserve final judgment till I watch all the hobbit videos, but this and other responses don't make it sound very promising to me.

Like, the kind of criticism I crave focuses on the text itself, criticizing these goofy movies as stories, y'know?

It's not that the real world construction of something can't be interesting, it's just not super relevant to whether the piece of art is good or bad. Tons of great films had troubled productions, many terrible ones were dream jobs - but what about the moving pictures themselves? What are they saying?

Speculating about the levels of care/interest behind the author for the subject doesn't tell me anything about the work itself, which is usually what I'm more interested in.

I already know Jackson and the film industry in general are hostile to labour, that's why I try to limit my financial support of them, even though there is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

To be clear, I agree with Ellis' opening argument; that the hobbits are uneven, with both good and bad parts. I suppose my impatience stems from the length of her preamble. Like c'mon, get to the "good/bad, how so?" part already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

https://youtu.be/NMjrXRgu8IU tweet this at them