Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/fall_01_20/

Speaking of Science Fiction and gender...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

You could do a lot better too. Michael Ende for example, he even have a story about a magic school and he didn't as far as I know write about greedy goblins or villainous trans people.

Terry Pratchett and China Mieville also wrote some good YA litterature.

Diana Wynne Jones is the best magic school writer by far. Christopher Chant could wipe the floor with Harry Potter.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

https://themorningnews.org/tob/superrooster/the-underground-railroad-v-normal-people.php posted:

Basically, nothing good comes from trying to pander to children. Can’t they just read Stephen King? It was enough for us, it should have been enough for them, but no, we gave them Harry Potter and Katniss and whoever else—look, I didn’t actually read many of them, not being a child. But I did notice that since then, most of the novels that people like and talk about aren’t really for adults anymore.
Now I’m in an awkward position because I can’t actually remember which book I chose as the winner, it must have been an arbitrary choice. Because they’re both fine. Get them for your kid as they go off to college, and by “off” of course I mean to their Zoom class. Either one, they are both fine.

The review does seem rather mean-spirited to me and goes beyond just recognizing that the books are written for children.