Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Heath posted:

Thanks, I didn't understand the thing I said until you rephrased it.

The problem for me is the idea of ostensibly trying to be an artist but the entire genre is so saturated with the concept of derivation that you're not even allowed to attempt to escape from being derivative. I'm not trying to advocate an impossible total originality, but the implication that I have perhaps just re-written Game of Thrones-but-Africa-flavored would cheapen the contributions to and of my own work. And the comparisons are never like what TGEK did above in taking a section of Tolkien that also features a dragon attack and contrasting the actual technique of the writing, it's always something like "your novel features a corrupt and oppressive nobility. It has been compared to Game of Thrones, which also features a corrupt and oppressive nobility." It's intellectually insulting to both the author and the reader, and yes, I get why it's like that in the most reductionist it's-capitalism-stupid sense, but I presume there are at least some seriously-minded writers out there who would like to write a genre book but feel put off by the notion that anything they write is going to get slotted into a category titled by some book series that happened to sell very well a decade ago, whatever the reason.

I am not literally saying I don't understand the state of things, I am asking rhetorically why it has to be that way for the sake of discussion. It is embarrassing that I have to state that explicitly in the loving reading forum.

"African Game of Thrones" was the pitch for Marlon James "Black Leopard, Red Wolf" despite being nothing like it (well, other than the immense amount of sexual violence).

It might be slightly worse in genre, but it plagues all book covers. Can't have an Irish writer who isn't compared to Joyce for example. It is indeed maddening with how rarely it's accurate. Comparing a book to Infinite Jest in print ought to be punishable by the stocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU