Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Awww.

Would people prefer a Dune review or an essay on divinity in Sanderson?

Yes. Either sounds wonderful. I liked the effort posts from the last thread and hope we can do/see more of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I appreciate the Xenogears ref by the way

Same.

When it comes to bad authors cramming travelogue segments into their books, are they just ripping off the wrong things from Tolkien? I remember as a child I was overwhelmed by the Lord of the Rings, but after reading modern fantasy, Tolkien seems positively efficient. Or do you all think there's a different origin for that tendency?

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Can an acorn be fun?

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Are there any outstanding requests? I like the effort posts in this thread, so in order to be less of a leech, I'll try to write one every couple months.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

You can take Malazan if I don't get there first.

Ok I'll find a copy and get started. Even of we both do it in the end, I imagine we'll find different things to rant about.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

You can take Malazan if I don't get there first.

Ok I started the first book last night. I got through the list of characters at the beginning and my initial reaction is:

What have you done.

I'll try to get a post up in the next couple weeks, depending on how long it takes me to get through the prose. Whenever the prose eventually arrives.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

everyone posted:

Malazan is dogshit
You all are prejudicing me on my initial read-through of the first book! I'm only 8% through according to my Kindle.

So far there is lots of jerking it to randomly Capitalized Nouns. And prose that seems to be trying to be pulpy, like Robert Howard, but is missing the mark. It's bad, but it hasn't gotten really bad yet. It hasn't gotten as bad as I am afraid it will before the end.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Sampatrick posted:

Getting mad about capitalized nouns is honestly the dumbest poo poo. There's some reasonable things to critique, like the prose being poo poo, but getting mad about pronouns is just dumb.

I promise when I post my review I will talk about more than just the dumbass capitalization.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

You are going to have a hard time when we start talking about the prose and characters in these books.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Strategic Tea posted:

The worst element of Malazan is the name Malazan. It is the essence of artless fantasy gobbledygook naming. It's so flat, it sounds like an American D&D player who has read lots of fanfic and zero history had five seconds to think something up the spot.

I have never actually touched the books purely based on my irrational hatred of that name.

You made the right decision!

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

I'm only 50% through the first M'a'l'a'z'a'n book so I hope someone else beats me to it.

Assuming no one saves me, does anyone have any suggestions for what to read against it?

Currently I'm planning to pull in some quotes from Glen Cook and Robert Howard since I think that one could charitably call them influences. Uncharitably, it seems like m'ladyzan is imitating a collection of better* fantasy authors poorly, often without understanding what made those authors better. In that way it's like Eragon but somehow even worse, because at least you can get through Eragon quickly to minimize the time you spend in pain.

* better does not necessarily mean great or even good.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Lex Neville posted:

genuine question: how common is it for a genre fiction narrative to be fully contained within, say, 80k words?

I've wondered about this too. I found a blog post with some information that credits book distributors.

I remember in David and Leigh Eddings' how-to-write-fantasy book from the 90s, The Rivan Codex, they said that at the time they got started (which would have been the late 1970's or early 1980's) B. Dalton and Waldenbooks had rules about the length of genre fiction. That was why the Belgariad was released as five books instead of three. Of course, they also said that David quit teaching over a pay dispute rather than a prison sentence, so it may or may not be accurate.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

lukevictorious posted:

I enjoyed this effortpost and would like to hear as much about the Magic the Gathering game as you are willing to write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

It was edifying to read the criticisms, thanks for the effortposts!