Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
:hfive:

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the most miserable experience of my life.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Post pics

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

chernobyl kinsman posted:

herbert's prose should be banned under the geneva conventions

his ellipses, not mine

wait thats not only published but also a genre classic? care to post what comes after?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
"prose style" is funny to me idk why

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
no the pleonastic phrasing

I suppose I do know why

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Good.

(Sorry, my initial post sounded ruder than I meant it to. Really just thought it sounded funny.)

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Hahahahaha I just read that and thought of doing the same thing.

drat.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
The burning was what stood out to me as well. The offhandedness creeps me out tbh

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
it is and that loving sucks

good prose or gtfo

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I'm not!

I just meant that I don't give a work a pass if it isn't written well, even if the concept is interesting. Not saying that you do, or even that mine is a justified stance to take, but I personally can't really get past that. I don't read genre fiction much...

e: o wait you did say it again though

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I mean when you quoted pseudanonymous. I hadn't caught that when I first posted gtfo

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Franchise-affiliated children's books are quite popular and get translated a bunch because they make publishers money they can use to fund actually good children's books

afaik LEGO and Minecraft books etc do really well too and have a similar function

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Lex Neville posted:

I don't read genre fiction much...

quote:

a startling white like a quivering moustache

I feel vindicated.

But seriously, thanks for your post OP :) This is why I have the thread bookmarked. The bewilderment keeps drawing me in, just not enough to read an entire book like this myself (but honestly if my negativity re: genre fiction is annoying, I'll stop posting, though I'll always gladly discuss the stylistic merits of whichever excerpts others post).

As a side note: granted, narcissism is hard as poo poo to get right, but one sure-fire way to gently caress it up is to humblebrag in third-person narration and especially by way of the clichéd relative clause + mere

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
not entirely sure what was so terrible about that specific post tbh

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I thought he just shed some light on the origins of LitRPG when some other dude asked about it, said some of its aspects work decently well in other forms of media, but not in literature, and that he believed that the proliferation of those other forms might explain current trends when it comes to lovely writing?

the only opinion relating to print media is that statblocks are "absolutely terrible in actual novels/literature". I mean, yeah, "how do you even know about that other poo poo dude?", but other than that :shrug:

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
to be fair, there's plenty of good detective fiction. the merits are usually little to do with the genre though

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
genuine question: how common is it for a genre fiction narrative to be fully contained within, say, 80k words?

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

That's quite literally what fan discussion looks like. No one cites these books for beautiful prose, it's all theories and labyrinthine plot speculation about who killed Asmodean or what new magic Rand learned to light his pipe (seriously). The cover of my copy of A Memory of Light literally lists several fansites. The intended discourse is not about the prose or the nature of evil, you're supposed to talk about what a Strong Independent Woman Aviendha is (for getting naked all the time). I linked the publisher reread because it's just regurgitating TVTropes.

These books have no soul, but they have a ton of meaningless references and subplots that if put together reveals more pointless minutia to use in internet arguments.

this is a great post by the way

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
another great post. thanks sham

@fauna i see what you mean but little of what i read myself seems to suffer from what you're describing. it seems primarily typical of genre fiction, hence my question

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 21, 2019

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
gently caress i hate that word so much

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
what defines the dragon though

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
review != blurb

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
though to be fair i wouldn't be surprised if genre fiction had entire reviews on its dust jackets, considering its authors use 4 million words to write what could reasonably be done in 40 thousand or so

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

that is the state of popular criticism nowadays.

I don't think that's fair. It depends entirely on the publication.

That said, no review containing more than zero "delicious"-es is worthy of an audience.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I take no issue with prologues tbh, as long as not everything it contains (contained) boils down to in-your-face ~foreshadowing~

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
to be fair I only read those two quotes so I probably shouldn't have said "everything"

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

is there something that binds magical realism to its place of origin?

no that was pedantically purist

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Based on what's been posted I don't see how it's speculative fiction at all tbh, to be pedantic myself

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
thank you derp

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I see the distinction between speculative fiction and SF/F as one based on a degree of (scientific or otherwise) plausability within our world :shrug:

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
poo poo, I was about to post, "then again, I might be a literary bigot" but you beat me to it

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
but what if youre not

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Speculative fiction as a blanket term is dumb as poo poo. I'm with Atwood.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
eh, I'd say the onus is definitely on the other side and that "supporters" is a disingenuously charged word choice

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

chernobyl kinsman posted:

answer the heidegger question

I mean in this instance you're not wrong but god drat dude calm down

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I don't even know what the heidegger question is.

It's up a little, but SBB put it better in the post directly above it

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Gotcha.

So me saying we can read him as a study in fascist pathology is kind of on the right track, but a little (a lot?) too melodramatic?

No, the point is that there's no need to read anything "as a study in" in the first place. There can be value in taking background knowledge into account while reading, but unwillingness to move past that information during, or not reading at all because of it - while it might not even be relevant to both your enjoyment of the novel as well as its cultural worth at large - is restricting in a way that offers no value at all.

e: beaten by miles mb

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

HIJK posted:

Like I'm curious but I'm also hesitant about investing too much attention into an author if they're a fascist or not

I'm not trying to ascertain if he wrote quality lit or not -- that would only be possible if I was fluent in Japanese and could read his original works. That way I could figure out his style and all that stuff. But I'm not so I can't, and translations aren't always reliable since you're reading what the translator considered important.

So until I know what the deets are I'll stick with summaries

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
don't pirate books :colbert: