Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Link the old thread in the OP so all the old reviews are easily accessible.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3833655&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Ccs fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I started reading Martha Wells Element of Fire because the sci fi thread loves her Murderbot stories. Second page and I’ve run into the sentence “Thomas personally couldn’t think of a good time to forcibly invade a foreign sorcerers house.”

What are the words “personally” and “forcibly” adding to that sentence that the rest of it isn’t implying? It just impedes the flow.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It’s been a while since I read any Stormlight but how can big G God get killed by Odium if Odium is one of his shards?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I found Severians narration fun to read because he was a dullard. A dullardwho kept wandering into incredibly important situations and getting entrusted with huge responsibilities. All while the meaning of much of what he was doing or what was actually going on went over his head. It’s hilarious.

Though it wouldn’t be hilarious if he acted totally ignorant. He thinks he’s figured it all out and the gap between what he thinks he’s doing and what’s actually going on is a deep comedic vein. He’s so self serious about his supposed revelations.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 9, 2019

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If we’re talking economics of an industry it should be obvious why you can’t rely on a few geniuses producing the only works people want to buy. There’d be no bookstores or other outlets for distribution because the product would be so rare.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Not surprised the guy who wrote Malazan isn’t good at humor. I don’t think I cracked a smile while working my way through four of those books.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

From everything I've read the book under review in that article was written by a man who can actually write.

If I get my hands on it I might do a review.

A lotta people seem to be trying to do an African game of Thrones, especially after the popularity of Black Panther made literary agents see the money they could get selling that kind of book rights to film studios. Lucasfilm is already working on their version based on a book:

https://shadowandact.com/children-o...ney-acquisition

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Not really surprised. Half the ppl who write any genre fiction professionally probably wrote fanfics in high school. And the generation before that were writing in their mimeographed fanzines. The fact that that famous author was writing dbz fanfics in grad school is a bit lol though

Ccs fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 2, 2019

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Heath posted:

Genre writer friends of mine have had that complaint whenever they consume something that leaves things unanswered or has an ambiguous ending. At least one of them gets actively distressed if anything major is left uncertain or doesn't pan into the larger plot. They take the Chekov's gun very seriously - nothing can be in a story for its own sake or to add flavor to the writing, it has to be in service of the plot or the "world," which is why you'll get so much explanation of magic systems and poo poo even though it doesn't directly relate to the plot in any meaningful way.

The most absurd application of this is in screenwriting with books like Save the Cat. It takes dogmatic formulas to an extreme level to the point that the author advocates any script that doesn’t fit narrow criteria should be thrown in the bin.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Any premium cable adaption will have a lot to work with given those details. 😬

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The_White_Crane posted:

(Also as a queer person the idea of using stallion/mare/foal/gelding to discuss people's gender identities or orientations makes my eyebrows reach the loving stratosphere.)

If it’s meant to show some of the flaws in that society it could be interesting. I dunno.

I’m reading Phillip Pullman’s “The Secret Commonwealth” and so far it’s very good. He writes so clearly that it confuses a lot of fantasy fans into thinking his work is for children, but it was never intended to have any particular target age group.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

PeterWeller posted:

Listen man, I wrote a MA thesis on Harry Potter, and I'll still read stories from Wayside High from time to time because they are adorable and hilarious. It's totally okay to be an adult and still enjoy and appreciate art that's explicitly made for children.

I agree, it’s just Phillip Pullman says in an interview he wrote his books for a general audience. Then the marketing teams at his publishers decided it was a good idea to market them to children. He came around to the idea because adults who like fantasy tend to only read a narrow band of fantasy whereas having his books marketed to kids meant many more adults read them by reading to their kids.

That popularity then lead to The Golden Compass movie and the current His Dark Materials tv show, which is definitely not targeting younger viewers.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

So I would normally go after said books...but this is what Tor is publishing right now. They are pushing this author hard.

It's also a pretty great example of the progressive trend in fantasy, which is really weird because most of these books are emphasizing the importance of your bloodline (to be king/queen, to inherit magic powers) and then turning around to deliver antiracist/sexist/whatever messages.

I have a Lovecraft post lying around if people really want, but there's enough in this to be a comedy goldmine.

Paying lip service to equality and inclusion and then quietly going “but, you know, if you ACTUALLY want power you have to be from this select class.”

This is the truth these authors and editors live every day in the publishing/entertainment world. Not surprising it would end up in their work, though maybe accidentally.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Lindsay Ellis' novel is awful. Like, did even a single editor take a look at this before publishing it? MacMillan must've figured her fanbase was a shoe-in to buy it without concern for quality. It's like some weird fanfiction combination of Transformers (the first Michael Bay film) and Twilight. I had to say it somewhere and I figure this thread is the place for it. It didn't take years to get published because the industry was mean - it took years to get published because it's bad.

That’s too bad, I like Lindsays videos. What was wrong with it?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah that’s a bit odd.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It confuses me when popular figures who move in educated and literary circles produce work that reads like that. You’d think they’d have a ton of beta readers who would pick any clunky prose apart before it even got to an editors desk.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I thought most serious genre authors started with short fiction. There are still magazines and collections that come out and that’s a way to be noticed by agents and publishers.

It’s m always floored by these self published authors that have these ridiculously huge numbers of sequels. They just churn them out.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I found your problem, and it's Twitter.

I never did do the Rage of Dragons review, any interest?

Yeah. I read that book and while I wasn't expecting greatness, since it was originally self-published, I felt it squandered a lot of the flavor a non-European centric fantasy world could have. Aside from names and building materials, everything is traditional fantasy. The main thing to recommend it is the pacing, it will keep you reading, but when you're done you haven't really learned anything aside from being really persistent can accomplish things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’ve seen tarot esque decks and standard playing card-esque decks used in fantasy before but never come across a series dumb enough to try to wedge a collectible card game into a pre modern fantasy setting. The closest is the flashback section of yugioh near the end of that manga, but in that case it’s characters literally summoning monsters from giant stone tablets that are centrally stored inside a giant pyramid which I think only the upper class has access to, so it’s no longer like a collectible card game.

Horizon Burning posted:

my brain got distracted by "The cards themselves were often worth their weight in gold" because cards don't weigh much at all and it made me think it was a sarcastic comment along the lines of 'the cards were worthless'

Okay I looked this up and a magic card weighs like 1.5 grams, which by gold prices would be around $75. Not nothing but not exactly the great sums that the passage is trying to imply lol

Ccs fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 18, 2021