Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

Not to step too far away from the current discussion, but those excerpt from DODO had me wondering: are there iconic instances of books where the prose is subjectively "bad" by technical or widely accepted aesthetic standards, but work in favor of the thematic "goal" of the book, and succeed in creating an artistic whole?

Maybe that's a dumb question, and admittedly I don't know that I have the literary vocabulary to express my question any better, but hopefully I got across what I'm asking.

do you mean something like "Flowers for Algernon"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

no it isnt

it literally ends with him going "therefore, only Marxism is legitimate"

so whats the problem

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Mrenda posted:

In a dose of authors being so, so close.

https://twitter.com/ChuckWendig/status/1127965203335745536

Stories are for children.

quoting myself from another thread

Tim Burns Effect posted:

joss whedon should be locked in guantanamo for influencing an entire generation to write like this

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

The Passion According to G.H. is another one. it's a stunning read but barely anything actually "happens"

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 20, 2019

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

post a review of "if you give a mouse a cookie" or any of the other baby books you have

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

then again there was that guy who inspired a character in the movie Four Lions

Chris Morris posted:

I met one white guy who used to be in the BNP and went around beating up Pakistani lads. He then decided he was going to get more subtle, and mess with their minds. So he bought a Koran so he could beat them at their own arguments. But he accidentally converted himself, and that guy ended up being a poster boy for a Muslim radical organisation. I came back to Sam and Jesse and said: where can we go with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Flesnolk posted:

So what good authors aren't fascists, if I want to read more Actual Literature but don't want to give human garbage my time of day? Because it sure seems sometimes like the only people who can create good art are monsters of some stripe or another.

flesnolk read ferrante