Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I was fortunate to have highschool teachers that were pretty good at teaching lit but I've known people who got real turned off from books in general because in highschool they'd spend like a week on stuff like, say, what does the green light mean??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gnoman posted:

The issue with Death of The Author comes in when a reader heavily misinterprets part of a work, and then proceeds to view the entire work (and, often, other works by the same author) by that misinterpretation.

For a concrete example, I've seen some claims that the D&D webcomic The Order Of The Stick is a transphobic work, with pages of criticism trying to make this point.

This revolves around two D&D jokes - the first involves an actual item in the game that changes the user's sex (taken as loot from a monster, and later used for a desperate disguise), and the second is a jab at 4E art giving reptilian characters breasts (a female lizardfolk prostitute got implants to "stay relevant").

The author was, in fact, completely bewiledered by trans people complaining about these, because it never occurred to him that the strips could even be interpreted this way. He has, as a result of this, decided that he will stay away from anything that remotely approaches the issue, on the grounds that he seems particularly blind to it and doesn't want to offend people.

A guy accidentally being transphobic in his webcomic and then not doubling down when trans people say something about it sure makes death of the author sound win, to me.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I remember trying to read Malazan ages ago and quitting during the second book after sorta liking the first, tho it has been a long time so I don't remember what exactly turned me off from it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ah I guess that must be why I liked the first book and not the second since in seeing it laid out like that the first sounds way more preferable to this gamer.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

One thing I appreciate about doki doki is that it doesn't take too long to do its thing, unlike so many visual novels where it takes 10-20 hours before they "get good" or what have you

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

Some of it is better. The hard sci-fi is more scientific, some of it written by actual scientists/ex scientists now for example. I think it's a bit less preachy too, a lot of older sci-fi I remember these scenes where characters basically philosophize at each other in a way that didn't do too much to further the plot or characters.

Hell yes, I loving love science

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Are you making fun of Sci fi for including science? I have to wonder what you think Sci fi is for.

I was making a joke about the notion that better science = better writing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

I don't really understand why you're reading speculative fiction if you don't value the speculative part of it. Masochism? If you just want good prose you're almost guaranteed to do better with mainstream fictional works. Part of why I read Sci-Fi is I enjoy the contemplation of the human condition under different conditions than the ones we operate under now. If your only criterion is how good the prose is, then it just boggles my mind you're reading genre fiction at all.

I don't mind speculation that isn't completely scientifically accurate as long as it results in something interesting to read, basically. The accuracy just isn't a factor to me, it's more important that the author is able to sell me on their concepts.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Last year I was curious to see why Worm had the popularity it does so I read some of it and for reasons I can't quite explain it gave me the same vibe as like, one of those visual novels that are millions of words long and take a triple digit number of hours to read.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

derp posted:

Does it make you want to kill yourself that in 20 years (or less) someone will be doing a dissertation on worm

I for one can't wait to see an epic dissertation that somehow ignores the nazi stuff.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

derp posted:

Oh? Are the others in the series as good?

They all rule for different reasons. Definitely worth reading all four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Blood Boils posted:

She seems nice, but her hour long 'whats wrong with the hobbits' video critique is just her reminiscing about how LOTR made her feel!

Does she get to the analysis in part 2? I would hope so but who knows lol

The best part of her Hobbit video is when she gets into the behind the scenes stuff, it really shines a light on just how much of a nightmarish mess those movies were.